Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In defence of Royston

Options
  • 03-06-2004 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I don’t have a vote in Dublin (which I’m sure many of you will be glad of, and if I did I probably won’t vote for Roy boy, but reading the Brady Bashing here on boards, and more so listening to it on the media, I am greatly troubled.

The ideal we all hope for from people in public office is that they be honest, and wise and a good judge of advise. While being a good interviewee on the Matt cooper show is an admirable quality, it is not the most important trait of a “good” public representative.

Roy has not played ball with the Media. This is in many ways a very good thing, but it has meant that they have come down hard on him. If you must bash him please do so on merit, not on the advise of Matt Cooper, who I have great time for but in the end of the day is a journalist and needs to get ratings. Chasing Royston around a Sports centre in ringsend is a blatant stunt to try and impress weak-minded boards posters.

In England it is accepted that the Sun can swing General Elections by the coverage and slant, which they give to the parties. Stop accepting the same from our tabloid journalists.

I just think that it is a bit sad that you must accept the whim of the media if you are going to run for office, but judging by the posts that are here it would appear to be so.

I would also say that if he goes on the last word after that debacle the other night he should not be allowed chose his own ties, never mind be in office.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

You are rather presumptious here- my problem with Royston is his lack of political substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I would agree with jd on this. In order to formulate an opinion on what posters are actually saying here, you have to actually fully read the thread. I would not advocate the masses dislikeing him for who he is. I would also say that there is an element of "bandwagonism" with regards to some, mostly uninformed, opions with regard to the character who is Royston Brady.

However at the end of the day he is a public representitive. We, the public, are in some ways at the behest of the media when it comes to information. And when I say media I mean media in all it's formats. From the tradional forms such as TV and newspapers, to the new media forms such as the internet and all that goes with that, buliten boards, e-mail etc... Royston has gone out of his way to avoid any informed discussion on his policies and views when it comes to europe. Have you seen his web site? A mis-mash of soundbites and cv'ism's. And I can guess why he is reluctant to face up to the likes of Cooper. I would contend that the guy has no idea what he would do for the people of Dublin in EP. I honestly believe that. The sad part is that he will get elected, and quite possibly down the road, become the leader of FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

What about his "drive, energy and enthuasism"? Is this not enough to ensure Irelands place within an enlarged Europe?:D He's a complete twit with no education on European affairs and yet has the neck to put himself forward for a hugely-payed (massively important) job he can't do.

As for Matt Cooper requesting an interview. What are honest politically interested people to do. If people are uneducated as to the complete inexperience of the man, then something has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Originally posted by Kelter
    I don’t have a vote in Dublin (which I’m sure many of you will be glad of, and if I did I probably won’t vote for Roy boy, but reading the Brady Bashing here on boards, and more so listening to it on the media, I am greatly troubled.

The ideal we all hope for from people in public office is that they be honest, and wise and a good judge of advise. While being a good interviewee on the Matt cooper show is an admirable quality, it is not the most important trait of a “good” public representative.

Roy has not played ball with the Media. This is in many ways a very good thing, but it has meant that they have come down hard on him. If you must bash him please do so on merit, not on the advise of Matt Cooper, who I have great time for but in the end of the day is a journalist and needs to get ratings. Chasing Royston around a Sports centre in ringsend is a blatant stunt to try and impress weak-minded boards posters.

In England it is accepted that the Sun can swing General Elections by the coverage and slant, which they give to the parties. Stop accepting the same from our tabloid journalists.

I just think that it is a bit sad that you must accept the whim of the media if you are going to run for office, but judging by the posts that are here it would appear to be so.

I would also say that if he goes on the last word after that debacle the other night he should not be allowed chose his own ties, never mind be in office.

Well coming from the people who work with him in Civic Offices he is a knob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Ad hominem attacks are usually a sign that someone is unable or unwilling to argue the points and resort to attacking the person. Such attacks usually are a sign of 'bad' political debating. The trouble with Brady is he doesn't have any politics that the FF spin doctors are going to let into the wild with and given the insults he has thrown around town, the only thing left to do is to challenge him on a personal level. So in this case, such personal attacks are a sign of a vacuum in his politics.

Besides having no policies, he also has no tact, no experience, no diplomacy, wastes our money to for his own entertainment or for cheap publicity stunts, is arrogant and a whole load more negatives which seem to make him perfect for being groomed as a future FF leader.

Royston Brady - 404 Politics not found (enough material one of those parody pages)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I happen to be a member of a committee on which Brady is an ex-officio member (i.e. it's his job to attend). He has never attended.
    Then why doesn't he come out and prove us wrong?
    The ideal we all hope for from people in public office is that they be honest
    No comment on whether he is honest or not as such. However, he did seem to eat an awful lot of humble pie after the clowns remark. And since then he has pretty much said nothing to be right or wrong (other than spout about the things he'll do in Europe, but aren't actually dealt with on a European level).Nul points.
    and wise
    Nul points.
    a good judge of advise.
    Nul points (unless the advice you talk about is from spin doctors).
    When was the last time a politician ran away from the media?
    Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
    He's a complete twit with no education on European affairs
    He doesn't have a leaving cert either (he did go on to do a CERT course).

So, final point. What does Brady stand for?

Gift grub on today fm and here aswell Enjoy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Does it not seem funny to any one that farmers, and ahem.. businessmen and found out fraudsters from the country all are deemed more than suitable to represent our country brethren, but politicians from Dublin are mocked because of their dress sense, accents, media skills etc. (And thats a general point!)

I guess cute hoors are fine, but not Jackeens eh?

Brady in particular could have all the policys in the world, but at the mo he is just a counseller and unelected lord mayor. Thus he would have about as much chance of forcing McCreevey, Martin et al, to change their ways as i do!
    Thus spouting off to the media now at this stage about plans for X and Y would make enemies he doesnt just need yet and have no effect.

At the end of the day, once in Europe, he will have a firmer footing to voice policy matters etc. The guy is jst starting out. He may prove to be a knob, but slagging him cause he doesnt have an arts degree from trinity or something is just crap. As for media skills, no everybody is born comfortable talking to the media. It is a skill that can be learned (eg Teflon Bertie has come a long way from anarak Bertie).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭PaulHughesWH

Royston Brady - bound for a European seat - Lord Mayor of Dublin - photo opportunities with Miss Ireland, Bono and the like. Destined for political stardom. Some even say the next Taoiseach - he is to Bertie what Bertie was to CJ. Young, good looking.

All this, while lacking political intelligence, cajones and, in general, any political substance.

This is the politics of 21st Century Ireland. The Banana Republic of Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Xterminator
    The guy is jst starting out. He may prove to be a knob, but slagging him cause he doesnt have an arts degree from trinity or something is just crap. As for media skills, no everybody is born comfortable talking to the media. It is a skill that can be learned (eg Teflon Bertie has come a long way from anarak Bertie).

You don't start off in the European Parliament (I'll disregard Dublin CityCo)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by Victor
    When was the last time a politician ran away from the media? He doesn't have a leaving cert either (he did go on to do a CERT course).

How many people have not done their leaving cert in this country?
    What is wrong at doing a CERT course?
    What is wrong with CERT courses?
    I know a few that did CERT courses and they were quiet happy.

Royston is putting himself before the electorate. Why should educational requirements be essential - Parties like FF believe that hand work is also important with many members being educated thru the "University Of Life".

FF looks at the canidate and not just educational achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I dont understand why people would vote for a fianna fail candidate after they deliberateley broke every promise in the last election. If an individual fianna fail candidate has a good track record then fair enough.The fact that Fianna Fail are still the country`s most popular party is a huge indictment on the irish electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Cork, you seem to be missing the point.

The education he has or has not received is not the issue, its his lack of a position on _anything_. A politician is elected on policies not on vapid publicity stunts.

Two lines from one of those gift grub sketches sums him up quite nicely

Bertie: ROYSTON! Where the hell do ya think your going pal?

Royston: Don't know, don't care, but its a deadly buzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by Victor
    He doesn't have a leaving cert either (he did go on to do a CERT course).

So, final point. What does Brady stand for?

Sorry mate, but aren't you a college drop out, like three times. I'm not having a go, but maybe you're just bitter that he's a self made man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by AngelofFire
    I dont understand why people would vote for a fianna fail candidate after they deliberateley broke every promise in the last election.

What other government has enjoyed these levels of employment? The past and current FF/PD governments are the most succesful since the foundation of the state.

Royston did a CERT course. So what?

What is wrong with CERT courses?

FF have always been pro Europe. FF's atitude towards Europe is a metter of record.

The single most important thing that is importance to this country with regards the EU is the maintenance of our right to determine our rates of tax.

Both Bertie and Mary Harney have been cystal clear on the important issues with regards the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

From sindo.
    DUBLIN Lord Mayor Royston Brady has broken ranks with his party leader, Bertie Ahern, saying the Taoiseach should not meet US President George W Bush in Ireland....

...Now, with just five days remaining before the 'Super Friday' elections, Mr Ahern has been criticised by his constituency protege, Mr Brady, for insisting on bringing the president to Ireland.

In an interview in today's Sunday Independent, the Euro election candidate says: "I'd love Bertie Ahern to say to George Bush, 'I'll meet you in Brussels instead.' That's what I'd do."

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Kelter

Sounds like an interview

Sounds like a stance(almost a policy in fact)

Probably an unwise course of action, but it does knock the hell out of much of this debate

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Boston
    Sorry mate, but aren't you a college drop out, like three times.
    Now where would you get a misinformed snippet like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Can someone post a link to (or the text of) this interview? Looked through the Indo site but couldn't find it in Sunday's archive.

Advertisement