Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat Business Offer

• 03-06-2004 10:33am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It would seem Esat Business are offering 1MB DSL for the price of 512K if you sign up before tomorrow
    Or so the agent I was talking to says

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm inclined to doubt it. I was all set to order €340/month 2Mb business DSL from EsatBT, when Eircom announced their price drop. I rang around, and got Netsource's 2Mb product for €82 self-install and €159/month.

Before I ordered, I got a friend who works in EsatBT to get someone in DSL sales to call me, to see if there was anything they could do on the price. He tried to tell me that there were major delays with Eircom installs, and that he'd guarantee installation within four weeks.

Netsource had already told me two weeks.

I hung up, called Netsource and placed the order. Six days later I was online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

He tried to tell me that there were major delays with Eircom installs

Hah!
    Last time I had EsatBT install DSL in an office, they took 5 weeks and blamed the delay on Eircom for not processing the order.

Chancers the lot of them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There is often truth behind that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

There is Moonbeam, but you can't have it both ways.
    The very guy that tells you they can supply your connection much faster and better than Eircom is the same one who will be telling you the delays are Eircom's fault.

Nobody want's to take responsibility when things aren't going to plan.

That said, and going back to topic, EsatBT's prices don't seem to have dropped and are still the priciest on the market for business users.

I've been with Netsource for 18 months now and no complaints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

They were supposed to announce sommet on 1st April but never dids. I havent gotten a bill since and i should so im kinda curious what the dealio is.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

EsatBT blaming Eircom? I don't get it. Don't Esat run their own exchanges for business DSL? Wouldn't that preclude Eircom from the picture(to an extent)?

Originally posted by halenger
    EsatBT blaming Eircom? I don't get it. Don't Esat run their own exchanges for business DSL? Wouldn't that preclude Eircom from the picture(to an extent)?
    Only to an extent. EsatBT don't install lines; that still falls to Eircom. Your phone line will always be a copper pair connecting you to an Eircom exchange. Unbundling means that your copper pair is then connected to a DSLAM in EsatBT's exchange. The physical connection between EsatBT's exchange and Eircom's is presumably something that Eircom have to do.

As to why EsatBT's business DSL prices haven't fallen? I've come to the conclusion that EsatBT have made a conscious decision not to grow this business. I'm still puzzled as to why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

ACtually, Esat have a rack in the eircom exchange, not teir own exchanges. SO what happens is your line is reconfigured to the Esat DSLAM in the eircom exchange

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    As to why EsatBT's business DSL prices haven't fallen? I've come to the conclusion that EsatBT have made a conscious decision not to grow this business. I'm still puzzled as to why.

Maybe thats why they ran this offer for the week?
    To test what the waters and demand for a 1MB product are?

As for not browing there business due to the price, its still a excellent product even if it is alittle on the expensive side, it should be interesting to see what happens when NTL start offering 600K and 1MB in Waterford & Galway for €25 & €50 respectivly
    It might kick some providers into lowing prices abit.
    :D

Originally posted by Cabaal
    As for not browing there business due to the price, its still a excellent product even if it is alittle on the expensive side
    How shall I put this?

It's more than double the price!!

I'd have been prepared to pay an extra tenner for it. I might have stretched to twenty. But a hundred and eighty a month more for a slightly better product? You must be joking. I'm glad I didn't order it before the other providers dropped their prices, because I'd be well sick now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    How shall I put this?

It's more than double the price!!

I'd have been prepared to pay an extra tenner for it. I might have stretched to twenty. But a hundred and eighty a month more for a slightly better product? You must be joking. I'm glad I didn't order it before the other providers dropped their prices, because I'd be well sick now.

Where the hell are you getting €180, as the first post says I'm getting 1MB for €110 (or €90 ex-VAT, €125.64 install)

Also a slightly better product? compared to what other products?

Where the hell are you getting €180, as the first post says I'm getting 1MB for €110 (or €90 ex-VAT, €125.64 install)
    Look at my original post: I had a choice between €340 for EsatBT's 2Mbit product, or €159 for Netsource's.
    Also a slightly better product? compared to what other products?
    Compared to Eircom's (and by extension Netsource's) 2Mbit product.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You can compare the prices of the business broadband products on the IOFFL Business Broadband comparison table

Yes, as you can see Esat are more then twice as expensive as the Eircom products in each category.

I'm very surprised, I had expected that Esat would start reselling the Eircom Wholesale Business products by now. They certainly won't be gaining any new customers at this price difference and are weakening their overall business strategy (BB, phone, leased line, hosting, etc.).

Originally posted by bk
    You can compare the prices of the business broadband products on the IOFFL Business Broadband comparison table

Yes, as you can see Esat are more then twice as expensive as the Eircom products in each category.

right...
    Even if Eircoms product is cheaper it does not even come close to Esats 512K Business Package
    why you may ask?, well here's why

Eircom:
    Eircom Broadband Business Starter
    Price: €45
    Cap: 8GB per month 3.6c per MB after that
    Interleaving: low
    Upload Speed: 128K

Eircom:
    Eircom Broadband Business Plus
    Price: €89
    Cap: 12GB per month 3.6c per MB after that
    Interleaving: High
    Upload Speed: 256K
    Download Speed: 1M

Eircom:
    Eircom Broadband Business Enhanced
    Price: €169
    Cap: none (about time!)
    Interleaving: High
    Download Speed: 2M

All 3 are Eircom's Business packages, now as you can see from below Esats low-end (512K) Business product is far better then anything but the most expensive Eircom have to offer.

Esat:
    Esat BT ADSL
    Price: €90
    Cap: NONE! (this applys to all Esat business packages)
    Interleaving: OFF

Now while Esats 1MB & 2MB products could be much cheaper there 512K service is the best value product imho, the fact that last week Esat BT were offering 1MB for the price of 512K may just have been a test for them to see what the demand was like and it may be a sign of things to come.

At the very least Esat have done a very good thing by providing Business products that have NO CAPS, its just plain retarted that Eircom are capping there business products.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

right...
    Even if Eircoms product is cheaper it does not even come close to Esats 512K Business Package
    why you may ask?, well here's why

On the other hand, Eircoms Business DSL is available from all DSL enabled exchanges, Esat is only available from a limited number of exchanges (45 I think).

For most people Esat simply isn't an option.

Of course there are pros and cons to each product, which is reflected in the comparison table.

However it should be pointed out that Eircom have never actually enforced the cap and Netsource have a 512k for e45 with a 16GB cap product which would be more then enough for most business.

Esat most do something about their prices soon in order to remain competitive. As I see it they have two choices:

1) LLU enable a lot more exchanges and half their prices. (Extremely unlikely).

2) Start reselling Eircom wholsale business DSL. Thus allowing them access to lots more exchanges and allowing for cheaper prices. This is the more likely scenario, they could continue offering no caps. More then likely they would have a cap on the 512k product and non on the 1m and 2m products.

Advertisement