Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Statoil Ripoff

Options
  • 03-06-2004 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Lads.

Just back in Dublin, driving to the Statoil on Northhumberland Road Unleaded 1.10 Euro and Diesel 1.01 Euro.

Alas Statoil everywhere 99.9Cent or lower on the North Road in Finglas, how can a crappy station like that do it, i did'nt buy it but how can they stay in business with stupid figures like that, also on Bolton Street the station there 102 for petrol

this is madness.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The normal profit margin on petrol is fairly low. I wouldn't be surprised if they could make similar profits by vastly overcharging a smaller customer base.

People should vote with your feet, or in this case their wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

that one is probably a privately owned franchise. they always seem to charge more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Wrestlemania

They wont do to much business, that I know.

When the price of fuel goes up 2 or 3 cent why do the stations put it up 7 or 9 cents??

Tax on petrol is massive, normally when you hear of the price of fuel going up in general that's before tax. Then you've got greed on top. Its like when Diageo put the price of a pint up by 6c, yet it increased by 15c at the bars.

I am sick of Ireland's Culture of pure greed, it with destroy us in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭cooper_man

Thats why every1 in ireland tries to drive cheaper to run cars, low engine high mpg. Its bloody expensive. Thats why i never run my mk1 4.5litre capri gt. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Originally posted by Wrestlemania
    I am sick of Ireland's Culture of pure greed, it with destroy us in the future.

True, the only way to stamp it out is to simply avoid these rip-off places..... a concept that Irish people still haven't fully embraced. It's bad that some stations charge this amount, but it annoys me more when I drive past and see people actually buying petrol there....I think to myself....'why the hell are they filling up there?!'
    Thank God for the Tescos of this world :D

DC.

There is a petrol station in Clonakilty in cork charging 85 cent for a litre of unleaded.

even cheaper than tescos, where is he getting his petrol, i am tempted to bring down a huge fuel truck fill it up and sell it in dublin:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

yes i used to work statoil and its the main statoil company that runs the pumps and fareplay run the shop. but if a store isn't doing well it is sold off and ther private owners can change some prices. but when it starts to be in the blackj again head office buy it back.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

You have to remember that as someone who actually reads the prices of petrol on the forecourt signs, you are in a pretty small minority. Most people NEVER check the price of petrol, they just pull in and fill up after they notice they need more fuel, and a garage appears on the horizon.

• Advertisement

I used work for statoil too, the filthy looks you'd get when you're the poor sod that is outside changing the price on the sign :)

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Originally posted by spockety
    Most people NEVER check the price of petrol, they just pull in and fill up after they notice they need more fuel, and a garage appears on the horizon.

Interesting point. I'd be really interested to see how many people actually check the prices. However, it does seem to me that people are more aware of prices since Tesco came along with cheaper petrol (just look at their queues! :) )...and now with oil prices rising.........

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by spockety
    Most people NEVER check the price of petrol, they just pull in and fill up after they notice they need more fuel, and a garage appears on the horizon.

Indeed these people also always get €10 or €20 worth of petrol, so to them it's not getting more expensive - eejits :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Originally posted by unkel
    Indeed these people also always get €10 or €20 worth of petrol, so to them it's not getting more expensive - eejits :)

And these are more than likely the ones giving out that their car is terrible on petrol
    and how €20 gets them no where these days :rolleyes:

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Driving along the Dual Cabbageway between Mullingar and Kinnegad, there are two petrol stations facing each other (certainly owned by the same crowd!) who always over-charge.. Currently the price of unleaded is 1.25 per litre..

That's more that 25% more than most petrol stations.. Mad...
    If I ran out of petrol, I'd still rather push the car past those two petrol stations, instead of paying those prices. (blatant lie!).

Originally posted by Krusty_Clown
    Currently the price of unleaded is 1.25 per litre..

:eek: :mad: :eek:

A petrol bomb is getting expensive to make these days.!!!!!!!:D :ninja: :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Well on Northumberland Road they are probably just getting the driver to fill it up on the company credit card. :)
    Originally posted by unkel
    These people got screwed by the euro changeover :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Driving along the Dual Cabbageway between Mullingar and Kinnegad, there are two petrol stations facing each other (certainly owned by the same crowd!) who always over-charge.. Currently the price of unleaded is 1.25 per litre..
    I drive by that garage regularly and I don't recall seeing the price anywhere close to 1.25 per litre.

Anyhow, I am an avid checker of petrol prices and I always try to get a good deal. However, I am suspicious of the weights and measures used by some garages. I believe that some unscrupulous garages may fiddle with the pumps so that you get less than you think eg the pump tells you that you just got 10 litres (and are charged accordingly) whereas in reality you got slightly less than 10 litres. As yet I don't have any hard evidence for this but I do notice some discrepancies from garage to garage eg 30 litres of petrol from one garage might last a bit longer and make the fuel gauge go up further than 30 litres from another garage.

BrianD3

Originally posted by Victor
    These people got screwed by the euro changeover :)

Indeed, petrol nearly doubled from £10 to €20 overnight :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by dcGT
    However, it does seem to me that people are more aware of prices since Tesco came along with cheaper petrol (just look at their queues! :) )...

Ironicly Statoil supply (or at least deliver) the petrol to Tesco:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭minority

Originally posted by ToxicPaddy
    And these are more than likely the ones giving out that their car is terrible on petrol
    and how €20 gets them no where these days :rolleyes:

Tox

I think your right there, but the problem is that people (even those who claim to be trying to do something about hight prices) are just too find of giving out about it rather then actually doing something about it.

Have a look at this post that i posted in the rip-off ireland forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=165115

If these are the people supposed to care about prices then god help us.
    I posted the email as is because my friend asked me to. The idea is that you hust Esso/BP everywhere not just in Ireland, but the 'activists' in the ripoff ireland thread dont know how to 'act' - just to complain.

Maybe people who actually but petrol like in here will appreciate it more.

BrianD3: I drive by that garage regularly and I don't recall seeing the price anywhere close to 1.25 per litre.

Have a look next time you're passing. I've found these two garages to be consistently more expensive (+15c) than the average unleaded prices. (1.25 when I passed last Sunday).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

I have a feeling you're looking at the price for Super Unleaded...those two Essos sell it

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

Originally posted by Superman
    yes i used to work statoil and its the main statoil company that runs the pumps and fareplay run the shop. but if a store isn't doing well it is sold off and ther private owners can change some prices. but when it starts to be in the blackj again head office buy it back.

Afaik BP own statoil and sell their petrol through them so BP would be 1 of the biggest retailers in Ireland along with Esso. I normally buy my petrol at Shell or Tesco anyway since they're always cheaper.

Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Have a look next time you're passing. I've found these two garages to be consistently more expensive (+15c) than the average unleaded prices. (1.25 when I passed last Sunday).
    I have a feeling you're looking at the price for Super Unleaded...those two Essos sell it
    He's right Krusty Clown - I just checked today, the higher octane super unleaded is 125c per litre, the normal stuff is 99.9c per litre

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Originally posted by pedro ferio-vti
    Afaik BP own statoil and sell their petrol through them so BP would be 1 of the biggest retailers in Ireland along with Esso. I normally buy my petrol at Shell or Tesco anyway since they're always cheaper.

Pete

:rolleyes: No they don't...

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

Originally posted by ChipZilla
    :rolleyes: No they don't...

How do you know? Here i've provided some evidence for you that would prove what I was saying rather than just posting a 3 word answer:

Taken from Gasandoil.com
    Statoil-BP gas supply contract triggers liberalisation and controversy
    21-07-01 The contract signed between Statoil and BP for the supply of 1.6 bn cm of the United Kingdom may mean market liberalisation, but also controversy. The contract, worth between $ 2.2 bn and $ 3 bn and is saying that the UK will need new imports of gas to replace those received through the Frigg pipelines in the last 22 years, and to meet increasing demands.
    But this assumption is being challenged by some parties in the UK who believed that new UK gas reserves can be developed to meet growing domestic energy demand, as long as the incentive to do so is maintained. A BP spokesman pointed out that Norwegian gas is cheaper than Continental supplies.

In Norway the deal will be seen as a break-through for Norwegian gas suppliers into the UK market, a prospect considered stalemate over 24 years since the signing of Frigg supplies deal in 1977. But it is also seen as a scoop for Statoil at the expense of partners in other Norwegian gas fields which are ripe for commercial outlets.
    Statoil indicates that to fulfil the gas volumes committed under the contract with BP in the UK, production will come from the Kristin field at Haltenbanken South and the giant Ormen Lange field slightly further south on Norway's continental shelf. Both fields have been considered rivals in the fight for supply contracts in the European market. Kristin gas was recently allocated for existing sales contracts with European continental buyers, while Ormen Lange operator Norsk Hydro has embarked on a UK marketing campaign for the field's reserves.
    Ironically BP also operates Norway's Skarv field which needs an outlet for gas contracts to Continental Europe. Gas for this new BP/Statoil contract will be transported through the new Vesterled pipeline scheduled to be in operation by 1 October this year. Vesterled has a total capacity of 10 bn cmpy and operators in Norway are confident that there will be scope for more exports to the UK by from 2005. Consequently a fierce fight among Norwegian companies over any additional market opportunities can be expected.

While BP don't directly own Statoil perse, they do hold huge stakes within the company.

Pete

BrianD3: He's right Krusty Clown - I just checked today, the higher octane super unleaded is 125c per litre, the normal stuff is 99.9c per litre

I stand corrected! Apologies to the two Esso garages on the dual-cabbageway!
    If I run out of petrol, I will stop and get petrol. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

but even at 99.9 cent it still really expensive!!! i usually go to statoil because i always seem to get good mileage from a tank of petrol from there!!!

Advertisement