Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unique Problem - Win2K; quite amusing in it's retardedness...

Options
  • 03-06-2004 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Win2K, SP3, running on Dell GX260.
    256MB RAM, p4 2.8GHz.
    I believe this is all relevant information ...

No program will start ... everything must be accessed through shortcuts, and anything which uses explorer [including ie] cannot even be run through shortcuts.
    Opening my comp/my docs etc, all must be done through excel/access......and to open excel/access shortcuts must be used.

following error:
    ---
    Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Libary

Buffer overrun detected
    Buffer overrun detected which has currupted the program's internal state.
    Program has been shut down ...
    ---
    [OK]
    ---

With that, explorer.exe closes, blank screen, ctrl-alt-del works, however task manager will not open [this is been done from admin btw, also been done from couple diff users].

Only option, is hard shut down [holding power button for 5mins]

Downtime is unacceptable, and although it is 'disabled' in it's current state; it's viewed as being better like that, than to try fix and break even more ...

Any suggestions appriciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

apologies ... continues googling / searching for answers after posted here, believe I have found problem [or a warped variant of the problem] :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321653

Resolution :
    Make sure that the string length of the TMP environment variable is less than 52 characters.

Will test this ... But I still don't understand how this would break /all/ of windows & how his pc only would have tmp var of > 55 chars

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You sure it doesn't have a virus?
    Tried installing SP4?

I just threw SP4 on now ...

To no avail - i also changed tmp & temp in user vars to smaller string ...

Error seems to be less critical / takes longer to die now ..

It works for one or 2 apps, then stops responding or dies again.
    Task manager sometimes opens, in which case you can close explorer [usually 2+ instances] & then restart explorer ...

this will bring it back to how use to be - can do basics, but first application you run ... breaks it again giving error message...

This is really confusing me now, and it's my new quest to fix it. - however help allowed :)

p.s. no virus - it has norton, and managed remotely w/ updates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Bodan

Try installing the latest version of Visual Basic 6.0 with Service Pack 6 for Run-Time

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/a/d/5ad868a0-8ecd-4bb0-a882-fe53eb7ef348/VB6.0-KB290887-X86.exe

if that dont work , throw in the Windows 2000 cd
    Open the run window and type this in

SFC /scannow

It will scan all the vital windows system files and fix them if any of them are missing or corrupt

Mix of spywares was the cause
    including navexel

• Advertisement
Advertisement