Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What mobo n ram???

Options
  • 03-06-2004 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

MY plan is to go for a 2.8-3Ghz P4 so i'm gonna need a new mobo n ram... Can anyone suggest one of each. I plan to overclock too.

I already have 512mb of pc3200 ram. Is that fast enough r do i need new ram. I've a Xp2500 at the mo so I'm new to the p4 side of things...

Rosco

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

TBH a 2.8 and Pc4000 Ram are quite a nice match. @250mhz FSB the Ram is running full speed and the CPU will be at 3.5ghz.

Im not sayin thats what you will get, its down to your cooling, your chip and a bit of luck. You mite get less or more.......... but atleast the Ram wont be holding you back.
    Im fond of Abit boards, have a look at the IC7 , id consider it to be one of the best P4 boards. The IS7 and AI7 are also decent boards and a little less pricey!!

Because of the multiplier id say the 2.8C would be the better option unless you have very very good cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Cheers... I might if i can stretch it go for water cooling. I'm luck enough to have my room in the attic and i've a gap between my wall and the exterior, the airs very cool in there, especially in the winter so i'm building my new pc into that gap. Genius, Cold air and silence!!!!

Water cooling is a little expensive as you wont be taking advantage of the silence part!!

Have a look at the thermalrights, there the best air cooling on the market. The new one takes a 120mm Fan and is HUGE............ Even with the older version you would be unlucky not to hit the 3.5ghz as its a great cooler.

"Because of the multiplier id say the 2.8C would be the better option unless you have very very good cooling."

Define very good cooling and if i have then what chip should i go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Im very happy with my Abit Ic7 Max3 :)

Every connector you could ever want not to mention 6 sata connection lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

You selling your old bundle??

LOL

expect a lot of these posts ,damn mother inlaw :(

kdjac

Define very good cooling and if i have then what chip should i go for?

The Zalman 7000alcu is a good option, its nearly as good as the Thermalrights and a good bit cheaper. Pop one of those on it and with a bit of luck the 2.8C should hit 3.5ghz (mabye more). Even at 3.4ghz thats a very good overclock...........

I'm prob gonna go down the watercooling route, just working out some prices now....

kdjac - Kits sold

Advertisement