Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight SIM

Options
  • 03-06-2004 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

Have just bought PC and moved from the old consoles! Used to play Wing Commander on my Amiga and loved it even though u cud never get the f**ker to save right......

Anyway getting to the point......wanted to get a similar flight SIM game on the PC and was wondering what the best one is in your opinion? also any gud WW1 or WW2 fighter SIM??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

I thought the microsoft combat flight simulators were good for that era/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

WHich era? was looking for the best that available now with cool slick graphics and great gameplay!! or am I living in a dream world?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

What kind of game do you want? One like Wing Commander? If that's the case I'd try Freelancer 2, lovely graphics and great (if slightly repetitive over time) gameplay.

If it's the actual flying you want then try Flight Sim or Fly! But that's just flying from a to b and navigating and other such highly interesting things :o For something that will raise your pulse a tad more try Combat Simulator. Shooting down bombers is a lot of fun in it especially when you machine gun the wing off one and it slowly windmills to it's doom.

Fab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by amp
    What kind of game do you want? One like Wing Commander? If that's the case I'd try Freelancer 2, lovely graphics and great (if slightly repetitive over time) gameplay.
    do you mean freespace2, or have they made another freelancer already:confused:

Yeah getting Free Space 2 from a mate so going to try that out once I get out of work!!

Is it Combat Flight Sim 3???
    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/combatflightsimulator3/review.html

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

yeah combat flight sim 3 was the one i was on about. i got it from pc world for €15

Checkin now wit PCWorld! bro works there so hopefully get it cheap!! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I have never been a big fan of the MS combat flight sim series to be honest. IL-2 Sturmovik is a very good WW2 flight sim though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

Nah, Combat Flight Sim's showin its age now. You'd be far better off with IL2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles. Now thats a flight sim, gorgeous graphics, great flight dynamics and a huge list of flyable aircraft. Pity its limited to the Eastern Front out the box, although theres a couple of expansions out that have you zooming about Normandy.

Oh its also pretty popular online, if your into that. Only thing is you'll need a decent joystick. Personnally I'd go for the Saitek Pro, Its relatively cheap but very comfortable and responsive. With plenty of buttons to mess about with as well, and Saiteks Config software is pretty uselful as well.

Theres also Lock On, thats modern jet combat, but will really show off your Pc's capabilities, although you will need an ultra beast of a pc to get anywhere near playable framerates with the options up.

As for WW1 theres nothing decent released lately, although there was a freely available multiplayer only one that was supposed to pretty good, couple years old now though. Warbirds I think it was called, bit of googling'll sort you out.

Take it easy

Chris

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Have you tried microsoft Train Sim? its gas with the DART skin bombing down the track! i always thaught CFS3 was a great game plays superbly on dial-up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

The best flight sims for the PC are

IL2 Forgotten Battles - WWII - Eastern Front focused.
    Falcon 4 (with all the patches) very complex F16 simulation.

Unless you have a monster PC don't bother with Lomac. Ditto with CF3 and Firepower you'll need a mega PC for that too and its useless without Firepower. Even after that IL2FB is still way better. The Flight sim market is pretty poor at the moment. So lots of people have patched the older sims to a very high standard.

Check out SIMHQ.com for more into. Lots of info in the forums there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yeah I meant Freespace 2.

Played FreeSpace 2 last nite and its class!!! not as good as Wing COmmander on the AMiga 500 though....haha! God I love the classics!!

IL2 Forgotten Battles - WWII: Mate seems to have this as well so I am going to have a bash at this!! there seems to be a good few games being released in the next few months.....anyone hear if any of them are decent??? I am just going by what I see on gamespot

Theres an new sim from the developers of IL2FB set in the Pacific. Its basically a updated IL2. But it looks like it will be amazing. www.pacific-fighters.com

Dunno of any other titles. What did you hear about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    The best flight sims for the PC are

IL2 Forgotten Battles - WWII - Eastern Front focused.
    Falcon 4 (with all the patches) very complex F16 simulation.

Unless you have a monster PC don't bother with Lomac. Ditto with CF3 and Firepower you'll need a mega PC for that too and its useless without Firepower. Even after that IL2FB is still way better. The Flight sim market is pretty poor at the moment. So lots of people have patched the older sims to a very high standard.

Check out SIMHQ.com for more into. Lots of info in the forums there.

Lomac is the dogs but you do need some serious kit to run it on.
    Even my 9800XT struggles sometimes. but the graphics are top notch. Bear in mind that it is a serious flight sim, just like the other two Ricardo mentioned.
    it was quite buggy to begin with but the second patch is due out any day now.
    Falcon 4 is very good but its beginning to show it's age now.

Originally posted by Sleipnir
    Lomac is the dogs but you do need some serious kit to run it on.
    Even my 9800XT struggles sometimes. but the graphics are top notch. Bear in mind that it is a serious flight sim, just like the other two Ricardo mentioned.
    it was quite buggy to begin with but the second patch is due out any day now.

With SP4/BMS I think Falcon looks great. The FF2 patch even better, but it doesn't work for me. It will run very well on a mid range PC. For me thats a bonus.

Theres an new sim from the developers of IL2FB set in the Pacific. Its basically a updated IL2. But it looks like it will be amazing. www.pacific-fighters.com

Didnt really hear anything.....was checking on gamespot and seen alot of games there are not released yet!

Didnt really hear anything.....was checking on gamespot and seen alot of games there are not released yet!

Originally posted by Sleipnir

Falcon unlike Lomac has a true dynamic world, campaign. Makes it much more immersive IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by The Real B-man
    Have you tried microsoft Train Sim? its gas with the DART skin bombing down the track! i always thaught CFS3 was a great game plays superbly on dial-up
    Now that sounds interesting. Where does one get the Dart skin then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Theres train sim's now what ever next

Advertisement