Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Utd Close to sigining Barcas Pique

• 03-06-2004 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

Sky Sports

One for the future methinks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

They're really going for the whole youth approach. Will be interesting to see him in action. I'm sure he'll get a League Cup game next season maybe. What age is he exactly? Said U-17 international but maybe thats past tense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

quote from article : Chelsea tried to hijack the deal at a late stage :D .

Man United maybe should make a bid for Bogarde then Chelsea will offer him a new contract .

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

If it's true, seems to be only in rumour form right now. The story was run by AS, I can't find much else online about it... Soccer-Spain rate the story as unlikely.

Bannor?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

hmm... the one thing I'd say about SkySports is that if its on it its usually true. Time will tell.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Originally posted by kaids
    If it's true, seems to be only in rumour form right now. The story was run by AS, I can't find much else online about it... Soccer-Spain rate the story as unlikely.

Bannor?
    Most likely the story is led by an agent. There are elements of truth to it but that is all at the moment - officially.

Man Utd made an enquiry earlier this year. Arsenal expressed an interest last summer but signed Clichy instead. Chelsea have never approached the player.

Man Utd have made offers for young players and Chelsea have come in to hijack the deal (Robben for example). More recently :
    Addai (Feyenoord) - has a trial with Chelsea.
    Kompany (Anderlecht) - Man Utd dropped their interest once Chelsea came on the scene.
    Litjens (Roda JC) - has a trial with Chelsea.

The player isn't going to get first team football at Barcelona for some time yet. If they don't sign Del Horno (23) from Athletic Bilbao after Euro 2004, they'll be signing him next year. They've also lined up Belletti (27) from Villareal for the other full back position.

The player's contract is up for negotiation but Barcelona are in no rush at the moment, they're concentrating on securing the first team for next season before the European Championships start.

Barcelona would listen to offers for the player if they receive them, but they haven't yet. If there are negotiations between the agent and Man Utd then it is without Barcelona's knowledge.

• Advertisement

I can't find any bio information on him anywhere, but is he not under 17? If he is, I would have thought that Barcelona would have no say in his transfer, only that if he left they would be due compensation...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i suspose united had soo much success with their youths before maybe there trying to repeat this again!!!

Originally posted by kaids
    I can't find any bio information on him anywhere, but is he not under 17? If he is, I would have thought that Barcelona would have no say in his transfer, only that if he left they would be due compensation...?
    He's 17 - his birthday was in January/February. He has a contract with Barcelona but it's only a token one. Barcelona are no longer about developing talent, they are quite happy to let the young players go and buy in the more developed players.

Last year they allowed Francesc Fabregas to join Arsenal for a nominal fee. He's one of the most exciting young players in European football. He was player of the tournament in the World Youth Championships last year. Now he's the youngest player ever to start a first team game in Arsenal's history and he scored in the game too. He also made the bench for one of their Champion's League games this year - not bad for a 16 year old.

Originally posted by Bannor
    He's 17 - his birthday was in January/February. He has a contract with Barcelona but it's only a token one. Barcelona are no longer about developing talent, they are quite happy to let the young players go and buy in the more developed players.
    ah right... Perez at Madrid and Barca letting their best young players go, there must be something in the water over there!
    Last year they allowed Francesc Fabregas to join Arsenal for a nominal fee. He's one of the most exciting young players in European football. He was player of the tournament in the World Youth Championships last year. Now he's the youngest player ever to start a first team game in Arsenal's history and he scored in the game too. He also made the bench for one of their Champion's League games this year - not bad for a 16 year old.
    He also played for the Catalunya XI against Brazil (seniors, not any age bracket) recently and played in the U17 European Championship Final, as did Pique. They lost 2-1 but from what I heard they were very unlucky, Pique got Spain's goal and Cesc hit the bar.

FERRARI OFFERED ENGLISH MOVE (Sky)

I've been told that Matteo Ferrari has already agreed a deal with Roma, but this could be Parma trying to secure a better price for the player. The mystery club is most likely Man Utd - they made an enquiry two weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by Bannor
    FERRARI OFFERED ENGLISH MOVE (Sky)

I've been told that Matteo Ferrari has already agreed a deal with Roma, but this could be Parma trying to secure a better price for the player. The mystery club is most likely Man Utd - they made an enquiry two weeks ago.

I heard that Ferreira was going to Chelski.
    Ferreira confirms Chelsea move
    Monday June 07 2004

Portuguese international Paulo Ferreira will join Jose Mourinho at Chelsea next season.

The FC Porto defender is set to move to Stamford Bridge in a £13.5million deal and join up with his former mentor, who was officially appointed as Claudio Ranieri's replacement last week.

Ferreira had been a target for Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson as well, but again the Red Devils have missed out as the 25-year-old confirmed his imminent move to west London.

"It is a lot of money for a defender, there is no doubt about that," he told Portuguese newspaper 24Horas.

"Of course I am extremely satisfied. Only those who watch me play and who know me can say £13.5m is justified."

Porto teammates Deco and Costinha have also been mentioned as possible targets, but club president Jorge Pinto da Costa is understandably reluctant to see his Champions League-winning squad disintegrate.

in the next few days.

United to pick up Pique
    MANCHESTER United will confirm the signing of talented Spanish youngster Pique in the next few days, according to reports.

United are thought to have beaten off interest from Arsenal and Chelsea to snap-up the 17-year-old defender on a five-year deal.

Though normally a centre back, Pique can also play at left back and would bring extra versatility to United's defence.

He would be unlikely to feature in the first team next season, needing at least another year before he's ready to tackle the physical demands of the Premiership, but he is seen as a player who undoubtedly has the talent to be a future star at Old Trafford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭crowl

Ferrari
    Ferreira
    It aint a spelling mistake

What would we do without the spelling police EH ?

It aint a spelling mistake

BTW there is no such word as "aint".:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭crowl

hehe. no I was just saying that its 2 different players :D

Advertisement