Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Answering though Irish

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Originally posted by dudara
    I sat all my examinations in Irish as I'm from the Gaeltacht. You do receive both papers on the day when sitting the exams through Irish. The main reason for this is that the Irish used on the papers is in general appallingly obtuse and bureacratic and having the English paper to hand makes life far easier.

We never thought of doing the exams in anything else other than irish, so I'm not too sure as to the procedure for registering for Irish examinations. The bonus points was a non-runner for us. I sat History, so you have to be able to write full-length essays in Irish, and know all Act names etc as Gaeilge. If you can't do that, don't attempt to take the paper. In Mathematics, you will have to be able to write out induction proofs, and all the standard phrases in Irish and so on.

I think that if you're a good candidate, sitting the exams in Irish won't garner you much, if nothing, in the way of bonus marks. (I received 4 A1s and 3 A2s, giving me 580 points, none of which came from bonus marks). If you're hoping to pull your grade up a little through Irish, just be aware that by not being comfortable in the language, you could be doing more harm than good.

Thank you, that pretty much sums up everything i was asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

it's in the constitution. it's our constitutional right to get any government documentation in irish and/or english. i scraped a d3 in higher level maths. i also did it through irish. only for bonus it could well have been an e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by dudara
    Delphi, the reason for that is that you probably have no students registered to sit exams in Irish.

But students so registered receive both copies of the paper....

According to the book of Instructions, that is not necessarily the case. They are ENTITLED to a copy in English if they are answering through Irish, but they must ask for it. It's not give automatically.

I made the original statement because the post said that you could get the Irish version if you were answering through English and vice-versa. I can understand being able to get the English version if you're answering through Irish, but I don't have any copies of papers in Irish for students who are answering them in English. And I'm not aware of any other places where they are provided as a matter of course.

Originally posted by subway_ie
    Delphi91 - any interesting corrections for the papers? Eg maths 2, applied, physics, business? It wouldn't be cheating if you were to tell us you know...

subway_ie, even if I did tell you (which I won't!... :D ) the corrections would be of absolutely no use to you as you can't see the question they refer to until the time of the exam!

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Oh right, i must be wrong then. I was under the impression you could get both copies whether you were answering in english or through irish, but to be perfectly honest, someone answering through english has no need whatsoever for the irish paper, and i'm sure no-one has ever asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Originally posted by Delphi91
    subway_ie, even if I did tell you (which I won't!... :D ) the corrections would be of absolutely no use to you as you can't see the question they refer to until the time of the exam!

Mike

Please.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Mike

Aha, but you're wrong there. The correction can give subtle hints - like take, for example, applied maths. A correction can give away the type of question being asked - like in the hydrostatics question, or the rigid body rotation question, the type of language used is usually unique to that question. Happened before with a u-tube type question.

Originally posted by subway_ie
    Aha, but you're wrong there. The correction can give subtle hints - like take, for example, applied maths. A correction can give away the type of question being asked - like in the hydrostatics question, or the rigid body rotation question, the type of language used is usually unique to that question. Happened before with a u-tube type question.

That's true in some cases, but not in all. A correction could be something as simple as a comma left out or a mis-numbered question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

That's true in some cases, but not in all. A correction could be something as simple as a comma left out or a mis-numbered question.

Yeah, I know, but it could be as helpful as "there should be a comma after 'wedge' on pg. 3, question 4.". It's unlikely, but it's happened before (something similar).

Advertisement