Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level Geography

Options
  • 03-06-2004 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

What to know for this exam???

All im doing is

Glaciation[It will come up ,so im not doing rivers or sea]
    All of Italy,,,well just two regions with three factors each
    Norway and Sweden..Agric,climate,Natural resources etc
    fielwork
    Map work[what can you do]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

That's grand but why would you choose field study AND physical? OS is like the simplest thing on the paper... common sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭AndrewWK

huh?

I'm just gonna revise past Q1's, glaciation, fieldwork and then Italy and France for the regional. Piece a poo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭AndrewWK

The photograph question is supposedly hard to get high marks on. Isn't the average grade a D or C?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Yeah thats what my class was told aswell. Our teacher warned us not to do the photo which looks easy but apparently everyone does **** in.
    So he ordered us to learn his physical notes and regurgitate them instead.
    I honestly dont know which to go by because as easy as the photo looks i have done bad in them before but also im not the best at learnign stuff off by heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

How do you know glaciation is definately coming up? I know it didn't come up last year but still I'm not risking that. I'm going to learn Rivers aswell just in case.

As well as that I'm doing fieldwork, spain divided into three regions and I'll probably learn off Norway and the Core and Periphery stuff just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 V3003

you have really got to learn all 3 - rivers , coast and glaciation and not take the rick ... i mean they could easily throw on just coast , its not really that hard to learn of , its only about 4 and a half pages each (thats 12 in total)

Im also learnin my field work , OS maps and region divison (and core -periphery) of france and italy.
    I might learn scandinavia as a distinctive region just in case.

Is there much of a difference in core-periphery and regional division really? i dont think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Stalin

Really when you think of it wheater its core,periphery,division,distinction etc etc it all relates back to agric/climate/manufacturing etc etc...So thats why im just knowing Italy,Sweden and Norway in general ,,then i can adapt what i know to the question....Core=just emphasising agric and manu well developed...and periphery=problems in all that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Teddi

yea..the photograph question can be a bitch....but i got full marks in it last year...

i think the trick i used is if i pretend that i live in the town/city...and when questions come up like....what could be improved infastructurally etc.....you just put down personal opinions and they usally make sense...also..if you know how businesses work...that always helps....how they get the raw produce.....where their market lays etc...

ive always found being good at english really helps in geography....especially for the map and photograph......i waffled alot in these questons!

know your field study back to front!...its a sure 1/4 before you even go in...

then core and periphery......all that stuffa bout econmics etc.....boring!!!..

g'luck ppl :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Whywontitwrok

Hum isnt the whole point NOT TO INCLUDE PERSONAL INFO on the picture! your to give only information that anyone could give just by looking at the picture, Obviously not If you got an A but I was sure thats how it went.

anyway im doin(in order of how im gonna do them in the test)

[1]- FIeld Study (easiest to do, gonna come up , so get it down 100%)
    [2]-Regioal/C&P- doing France,Spain,Norway (maybe I should drop Spain for Italy?)
    [3]-Physical- GLACIATION! (but would cover coast and river cause they may do the 3-in-1 question, hasnt been up for a while)
    [4]- Good ol`mapwork to wind down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Just remember for every answer in OS and Mapwork the method is: STATE, LOCATE, EXPLAIN

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Stalin

Its good to get reassurance on these things so that its not all what i think...^^^The state locate and put beef on your answer is important to remember while doing OS.

I find it hard to get full marks even though everyone thinks its easy because theres no real intense studying for it.

+Yep and you cant put anything down for Q1 or photo Q unless its coming from the map and photo,but i suppose it helps to think of personal stuff to get ideas and then go and look for it on the map

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

does anyone have notes on ireland as a region, or could someone please tell me where i can get some?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

every year since 1997, Spain or Italy could have been used in the reional question. So going by the law of probability, you only need to know either spain or Italy. But using Murphy's law, you should learn both. Either way, theres no need to do a northern country

Originally posted by Swifty
    How do you know glaciation is definately coming up? I know it didn't come up last year but still I'm not risking that. I'm going to learn Rivers aswell just in case.

Rivers came up last year which would kinda make us not expect it.

Also...what are peoples predictions for Question 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

we didnt cover it much in class but it would seem EU enlargement should be asked for the year thats in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DeFIANCE

I need to get good marks in my geography after a slightly pear shaped english exam, what im hoping for is somthing on the lines of

english=45
    maths(o)=50
    geo=80
    german(o)=40
    eco=90 :D
    bio = 55

360 wheyyy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

How long is other peoples fieldwork question? Our classes turns out to be about 9 exam pages long, which takes me at least an hour and 5 minutes ( and I don't exactly remember it verbatim). The fieldwork question is taking a serious chunk of time out of my other questions, so how many pages does everybody else end up doing and how long does it take them?

Originally posted by senordingdong
    Also...what are peoples predictions for Question 5?

Regional like....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CuTeAnGeL

this is what im gonna learn 4 geog just to be on the safe side

physial-rivers, seas, glacation
    regional- implications of eastward expansion
    division of france and italy and maybe the division of norway cos it was never asked specifically, med as a distinctive region, and tourism in the med,
    wat do ye think??? any tips???:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

If youve never ever done a Photograph question is it easy to take up and study ? I have to study for math paper 2 , history and geography and theres alot to learn in physical...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

yeah it's pretty ease, just gotta know how to draw sketch map. They generally ask qs about your ideas and opinion (where is likely to be most congestion, where would you build a sports centre etc) but you should just know stuff like land use and that. It's not a bad question though!

Advertisement