Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best stand ups at the mo

• 03-06-2004 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

few years back I was living in Milton Keynes (mmmm.....roundabouts) and I heard there was an Irish comic performing in some pub so I went along.

While there I almost did the following:

1. fell of my chair
    2. died from lack of oxygen due to inability to breathe while laughing
    3. wet myself
    4. shat myself (though this was due to a certain stomach bug and not the comedy)
    5. wiped laughter tears from my eyes on more than one occasion
    6. rolled around the floor banging my fists on the ground shouting this is much better than staying at home with the missus
    7. shat myself again (ditto)

The reason for such exhuberence and merriment was one Ed Byrne.

At the time he was pretty much unknown and presumably starting out, but my gawd was the man funny. You know what, its great to have some bloke go up on a stage, take a mic and make you laugh your socks off for an hour or so. Its bloody brave on their part too.

Anyway - just recently moved back to Ireland and was wondering who and where is like really good to go and see here - I really have to admit being pretty clueless about Dublin venues and all the rest, so don't worry about being obvious

cheers
    ziggy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

MURPHYS LAUGHTER LOUNGE
    4-6 Eden Quay, Dublin 1,

Keep your eye on ticketmaster.ie or somesuch for whos coming up. I assume that the place is still there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

There's a few usually a few standup gigs in Vicar Street. Unfortunately ya missed Dylan Moran, great laugh!, burst me s|-|ite.

David McSavage is on the 12th, don't know if he's yer thing though :dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Kilkenny Cats laugh festival is on this weekend, alot of big names but also some unknowns. Grame Norton played there in 1997 in a backroom of a pub for £300 and he signed a contract for £6,000,000 with the BBC a couple of months ago..

All roads to kilkenny this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

Went to the first heat of the Montreal "Just for Laughs" festival in Vicar st a while ago. Never laughed so much. Had a tonne of new and old talent.

Vicar st is usually good for comedy. Good ones that night included:

Joe Rooney aka Fr Damo (the whistle theif) from Fr Ted(seen him a few times - deadly)
    Something (Fred?) McSavage
    Some lad called Rueben
    Des Bishop - brilliant
    A tonne of others I cant remember.

If you've ever seen "the Panel" - programme on rte. Alot of the guests on that were doing stand up. Absolutely brilliant

www.entertainment.ie has a comedy section you can check out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Dylan Moran (Recently at Vicar's Street)

Bill Bailey (the Ambassador last year)

Superb stand up. My bladder has terminal damage.

LD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Originally posted by Ebonyks
    David McSavage is on the 12th, don't know if he's yer thing though :dunno:

He is one funny guy, can't see him performing anywhere but the side of the street though, his act is too spontaneus

"What do you mean weapons of mass destruction, we havent even got running water!"

Abslolutle genius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭catsup

ive been a big fan of jason byrnes for the last couple of years now. he cant be beaten, probably cuz hes a bit mental. if you have the chance, go see him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Tommy Tiernan is great too, saw himself, Eoin O'Neill, Adam Hills (ozzie) and Jake Johanssen (American) at the Cat Laughs fest last weekend. Saw Dara O'Briain, Des Bishop, Reuben, Tommy Tiernan (again), Barry Murphy, Kevin McAleer and a bunch of others at the free Cat Laughs football match (irish comics vs. the rest of the world) on Sunday last :))

The rest of the world won 5-4, even though Ireland got a penalty and had 18 players on the pitch for the last few minutes ;)

iirc Des Bishop got 2 goals for the foreigners, Dara O Briain got 2 for Ireland.

Decent laugh for a free event!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

went to see Reuben on Friday night, was absolutely brilliant. Different from anything I've ever seen, check him out if you get a chance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Pat Shortt & Donal Norton web:Hearse life

• Advertisement
Advertisement