Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory upgrade overclock....

Options
  • 03-06-2004 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, I posted a similar question over on tech to no avail, so I hope it's ok here.

Basically my mobo supports up to 2700 ddr. I need to buy memory which I can overclock. I'm thinking good quality 3200, but not really sure.
    It's an Abit Be7 mobo.

Thanks again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

How much memory?
    Any memory by OCZ,Mushkin.
    Try shop4memory they have good prices and free shipping.
    Best memory for the job is anything that uses Winbond BH-6 chips best timings and very overclockable but also expensive.
    512Mb kit DDR PC-3200 Special 2-2-2 Dual Channel - Mushkin - €196

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Well thats an intel 845 chipset i think, so it has 533mhz FSB yea?

Your base figure for the FSB is 133mhz (quadpumped = 533mhz) and your Rams base figure is 166mhz (DDR333). Im not sure what chip you have but you should be able to overclock just fine with that memory. You can get up to a 25% overclock running memory 1:1 without it holding you back so theres not any need for other memory really.

Its a totally different story with the "C" chips ........... 800FSB

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What COL_LOKI said. I doubt you'll be able to go much over 150MHz but you might get a very high multiplier, giving a great overclock provided the cpu is unlocked

Unless you decide to buy expensive memory that you run with tight timings and out of sync with the core clock. This would not be a good value for money solution though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

basically im in the same postion as the original poster i have PC2700 and i want to over clock this to PC3200 is able to be done? Also one difference i have an amd 3000xp barton and asus mobo

basically im in the same postion as the original poster i have PC2700 and i want to over clock this to PC3200 is able to be done? Also one difference i have an amd 3000xp barton and asus mobo

One majour question is the CPU unlocked? If its pretty new then its multiplier locked and you have very little chance of taking advantage of the ram. In the last 6 months almost all AMD's have been multiplier locked.

The Xp3000+ is pretty close to its limit, and with stock/medium air cooling an overclock of mabye 150-250mhz is doing well TBH. Its not worth spending the extra money on Ram . Ive had an Xp3000+ and quite a few 2500's , the 3000+ overclocks about the same with mabye a little less voltage. Save your money, or mabye invest in another area.

On the Ram thing overclcoking Pc2700 ram to Pc3200 , usually not possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

Thanks for that guys. I reckon I'll just stick with the same type as I have for the moment. (I'm selling the mem I have at present with an older system, so will need to buy new stuff anyway.)
    I was thinking that I may be future proofing slightly if I were to spend a couple of euro more, but it's prolly money down the drain.

Cheers,
    Pat.

Well in that case Pc3200 isint a bad choice. Atleast you can transfer your memory to another system like the A64 or newer P4's. Im not sure how long it will be good for with FSB increasing and DDR2 on its way out, but its definetly more future proof than Pc2700.

Its only a couple of euro more and since you need some anyway......... but it wont help (or wont hinder either) your overclock!!

Advertisement