Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commercial radio against local radio

• 03-06-2004 5:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭

It would have been in 1997 I suppose.. wasn't that when Radio Ireland came on air?

NEAR fm was originally on 101.5, but we got shunted up to 101.6. It's a pain in the arse as you have to get all new stationary.. ha

I don't really mind being asked to move, recently alot of stations had to move as part of the BCI trying to coordinate with the Welsh authority as there was some over lapping of signals, we seem to have got away without moving though.

But to be asked to move so a commericial radio station can come on air is not good. And how long did Radio Ireland last before they completely changed into Today fm and didn't comply with licence they'd gotten in the first place..

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I know that Beaumount radio was asked to move to make way for more stations. I see your point but I dont think its a bad thing, Ireland needs more different stations, both commercially and locally, and if moving afew around will solve that, then so be it, it would be an outrage if they asked a local station to shut down to accomodate a commercial station, but not otherwise...

Am splitting this into a new thread as it is too far off topic from media ownership (the debate about moving stations to accomodate etc.)

Flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

speaking of outrage...

Radio Kilkenny, which had been functioning for about 15 years got shut down at new year's just because someone thought it would be a great idea to redefine the radio licensing areas in the south east. Originally Kilkenny was a single area, and Carlow/Kildare were mixed, so you had Radio Kilkenny and Carlow-Kildare Radio. Now Radio Kilkenny and CKR both are gone and you have K fm in Kildare and "KCLR96" in Carlow and Kilkenny.

I'm not a fan of what was Radio Kilkenny - it didn't agree with my tastes, but it was a valued community station and there was considerable uproar in the local papers when it was killed off.

Advertisement