Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs get Santini

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

not a bad signing for spurs must say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm stunned!

Stand by for influx of "promising French youngsters"! :D

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by mike65
    I'm stunned!

Mike.

Wonder what number bus you get from anfield to White Hart Lane ?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

things are getting very interesting now in the premiership now,Hopefully he will sort spurs out.Im not a spurs fan but im sure most spurs fans are delighted by the news that he has gone there.Im sure a few exciting french players will end up there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

Cant understand why Santini would want to manage Spurs - but fair play to them for getting him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Houllier for the French job anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Excellent swoop by Spurs. Liverpool look set to get Benitez and Chelsea have got Mourinho. Looks like MON is staying at Celtic for another season at least.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

now there is a surprise...

he'll might 'tap up' french players at the Euro Championships to join him at spurs.. :eek:

Steve Marlet, Sylvain Wiltord (free transfer) and Bixente Lizarazu to spurs ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

Far play to Spurs for getting him. Its about time too.

It will be interesting to see what will happen with the Irish lads at spurs.
    I'm sure they will be given a chance but i say one or two will move.

I think Spurs will have a good season next year. I belive they will get into the top 8 and possible win the carling cup, and i'm nota spurs fan by the way.

Also can anyone tell me is Chris Hugton(sp) still coaching at Spurs or did they sack him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by Stekelly
    Houllier for the French job anyone?

Now that would be a surprise {could be good news for Ireland though}. Fair play to Tottenham they have the potential to be a top side and now they have a class manager to get them playing like one . I am really looking forward to next season already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

Footballtransfers.info had an unconfirmed link of Houllier going to Benfica , wonder now with the French job up for grabs will this change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Now that would be a surprise {could be good news for Ireland though}.

LOL, I seriously doubt GH would get the French job, but we can hope;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Now that would be a surprise {could be good news for Ireland though}.

lol

i read that benfica are in for houllier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

He already had that job and well lets just him and Ginola are still the best of freinds ,one of footballs finest moments tbh.

Doubt they would give it to him again.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Sikes is gonna be real happy because Santini called Spurs a very Big club . His definition of big is definetly a lot different than mine .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Spurs are a big club, not a very sucessful one of late but they have a massive fanbase.

Originally posted by mike65
    Arnesen is in charge of all the transfers so that will be unlikely.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i dont care what nationality they are, as long as they are good!

at the moment, spurs are in good shape.
    we ha a bad season, but one thing pleat did do right was blood in some young talent. the average age of the squad has dropped from about 35 to about 23!

i think we have some tremendous youngsters coming through, some fantastic talent already there, and all we need is a good midfield playmaker, and another world class centre back. doherty just cant be allowed to stay there!

an excellent coach and an excellent, er, whatever it is that arensen does. find new talent!

im happy.

by the way, i would prefer all 4 of our strickers over sylvan wiltord.
    arsenal reject :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

A day at last to rejoice for Spurs fans !! World class manager for an sleeping giant (who have the largest fan base in London).

Saturday is the press conference - strong rumours apparently Jol will join Santini as his assistant. And Edgar Davids is due to be announced too.

Now to complete my week -
    ... West Ham stayed down
    ... Abramovich being investigated back in Russia and the bubble will burst soon
    ... We got Santini

Would Arsene Wenker like the French job ???

God how I would laugh ...

Spurs are back :)

Spurs are a big club, not a very sucessful one of late but they have a massive fanbase.

As I said its all about definition of a big club , I beleive a big club is a succesful one . e.g.

lets say Huddersfield were still gonna be in the third division next year and had a 2 million fanbase in Britain , with a balance of £70 million and £20 million to spend on players . If they never get out of the third division they would still be a small club .

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Big Ears
    As I said its all about definition of a big club , I beleive a big club is a succesful one . e.g.

lets say Huddersfield were still gonna be in the third division next year and had a 2 million fanbase in Britain , with a balance of £70 million and £20 million to spend on players . If they never get out of the third division they would still be a small club .
    They would be a big club IMHO. You have to realise the difference between a big club and a successful club. Spurs, Everton, Villa, Newcastle are not successful clubs, they are, however, big clubs. My definition of a big club would be: very large fanbase, some measure of international reputation, good football history with trophies won, and a decent amount of financial clout.

Please remove Newcastle from that list as it is humiliating for me :o

Please remove Newcastle from that list as it is humiliating for me :o . They have played in the Champions League for the last 2 seasons ( I know the last time was only qualifiying )

First of all you think a big club is a succesful club, second of all you think Newcastle are succesful. You have to realise where you're going wrong.:D ;)

eirebhoy is right. Spurs get 40,000 for each home game. Given that they are in London and the ticket prices are higher than the Arse, their income from the gates is high. Given their success in the '60s and '80/early '90s all these fans have good disposable income for merchandising and the like. The only areas where they are suffering is TV & Euro revenue given their mid-table mediocrity since Gerry Francis (plague on his house).

For the record, Francis took over at Spurs the season after they finished above Arsenal, yes above them. Except Arse then appointed Wenger and we appointed Francis. D'oh :o

Anyway back to "big club" - Newcastle viewed as big club but no trophies for a long long time.

The "big" clubs in England would be the current top 5 (Arse,MU, Chelsea, Newcastle, Liverpool) with Spurs & Villa there or thereabouts and probably Everton and ManCity. Big fanbases, good weekly gates, good history, and international clout. Of these only 3 are permanently successful - the Arse, MU, and Pool. The rest have all had useless managers who set them back years at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Back on topic...

I'm chuffed. I see Santini won the French title with Lyon two years ago (I wasn't sure what his club credentials were) so at least he's got decent experience of dealing in a club environment.

Between himself and Arensen they'll have great contacts, so talent spotting will be much more effctive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Please remove Newcastle from that list as it is humiliating for me :o . They have played in the Champions League for the last 2 seasons ( I know the last time was only qualifiying )

'fraid not, they only played in it once, if Uefa dont count horsfaces' goals in the qualifiers as part of his CL goals then Newcastle playing in it doesnt count either:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

Sikes is gonna be real happy because Santini called Spurs a very Big club . His definition of big is definetly a lot different than mine .

you bet!!! what a legend!! great coup for spurs. kinda thought that we could have ended up with a nobody but this guy is going to be a legend ( i hope!! )

top 10 here we come!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Originally posted by sikes
    top 10 here we come!!

It says it all really. This guy hasnt really done that much of note, Spurs fans shouldnt get carried away. Although now without David Pleat at least they have some potential.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Jivin Turkey
    It says it all really. This guy hasnt really done that much of note, Spurs fans shouldnt get carried away.
    He won back to back titles with Lyon who had never won the league before AFAIK. Also, France have won every competitive match since he took over.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    He won back to back titles with Lyon who had never won the league before AFAIK. Also, France have won every competitive match since he took over.

And only lost one friendly I'm told. He's got good pedigre.

Arsene Wenger was hardly manager of the century before he took over at the Goons...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

Originally posted by Jivin Turkey
    It says it all really. This guy hasnt really done that much of note, Spurs fans shouldnt get carried away. Although now without David Pleat at least they have some potential.

this manager has a good pedigree but the optimism from the spurs faithful does not solely surround the signing of the coach.

it is the complete overhaul of everything in the club. old players out, young ones in, pleat out, medical staff revamp, arnesen in... etc

this has set the foundations to what i believe will be a cl club in the next 3 years.

c'mon you spurs

TTID

More good news.

Martin Jol appointed assistant to Santini today.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/3794405.stm

Things are shaping up nicely now.

What's happening with Chris Hughton? I hope the FAI offer him a full time position TBH.

My guess is he'll leave for a full time role with the FAI.

I like him a lot, but he's been there under five underachieving managers,and I think the stench of failure is starting to cling to him as well. Time for pastures new methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

No one has mentioned what this means for our number one striker Robbie Keane....

Will he continue to get regular games and perhaps good coaching to finish his play off to "world class" standard ??

jollyrodger

Would be confident for Keano's future - he was just one of three current Spurs players named by Santini. Tellingly, he omitted Kanoute's name completely even though he was his coach at Lyon (kicked him out) and never selected him for France, hence Kanoute for Mali. This is the exact quote from the official club under Santini Exclusive Interview - Part One.

Which players currently at the club do you know most about and look
    forward to working with?
    JS: Obviously I will get to know all of them better when I arrive but,
    of course, I know the internationals like Robinson and King, also Keane
    - I am certain we will all work well together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Which players currently at the club do you know most about and look
    forward to working with?
    JS: Obviously I will get to know all of them better when I arrive but,
    of course, I know the internationals like Robinson and King, also Keane
    - I am certain we will all work well together.

FANTASTIC, just what robbie and ireland needed :D

Advertisement