Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing my Dell case

Options
  • 03-06-2004 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Ok,
    ive got a Dell Dimension 4600,wont go into spec details but im thinking of replacing the case,looking for something cool,possibly with window
    thinking something along the lines of this
    has anyone changed their Dell case?
    Ive been told its pretty hard so im skeptical about it,dont want to buy a case and find out its a waste.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i doubt it will work as that case you intend to buy complies to the ATX standard of cases and motherboards.

dell on the other had do not comply with the ATX standard and therefore your motherboard might not fit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

yeh i was wonderin what that ATX malarky was all about,what standard do Dell mobo's comply to then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Originally posted by Garth_Vader
    yeh i was wonderin what that ATX malarky was all about,what standard do Dell mobo's comply to then?

Well, Dell comply to the Dell standard. I think they motherboards are generally a bit shorter than ATX, along with various other differences. I think I remember seeing somebody mod a case to fit a Dell computer, but it was a fairly big task. You might find something on google, probably more hassle than it's worth though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You will need a new board and case and power supply!

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

On the other hand i am upgrading and want to keep my old gateway tower case. Will an atx mobo fit in a gateway case?
    If i do decide to get a case which would you reccomend? i hear antec are good. dont really want anything flashy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Some gateway cases were ATX compliant, some weren't. Get the model name of the original gateway PC and google it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

I changed my dell case with no problems at all and thats the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Originally posted by I am MAN
    I changed my dell case with no problems at all and thats the truth.

Well, I suppose you either:
    a) Have a very strange definition of "problems", or
    b) Have an old Dell, before they started modifying their motherboards/PSUs

This is a rough guide to what's involved in changing cases - it proves that it's possible... just not very practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Duuuuuuuuuuude!!1

You got raped by Dell!

Advertisement