Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telescope for Beginners

• 03-06-2004 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Would someone be able to let me know what is a good telescope to purchase for a beginner - something that would enable you to look at the stars quite clearly as well as the moon. Cost between €100 and €400. I have attached a link that I have come upon myself and was wondering would you recommend any of them?

Thanks

http://www.pixels.ie/content/telescopes.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭gorm

Don't know about Atlas but seem to recall something about them being rebadged Helios scopes (or the other way round). Helios do make good scopes. You should probably try this site http://www.irishastronomy.org . They have BBs including one about buying your first scope. (witj links to other irish sites).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

The first refractor on that page is not a bad start, though the magnification IS limited and it is a little pricey. Shop around, look at the prices against the sized instruments. One tip I'll give you - for an example, a 100mm aperture refractor will have a higher magnification than a 100mm refrector, but it does cost more. Based on this, what are you looking for - practicality and ease-of-use or magnification?

There are lots of things to consider, such as do you want it on an equatorial mount (angled to follow the stars' path), or altazimuth mount (up-down left-right), a dobsonian mount, long focal length etc etc.

I have 3 scopes myself - a 70mm refractor (equatorial), 75mm reflector (altaz), and 200mm reflector (under construction to be equatorial), so like many other amateur astronomers in it for a long time, I've tried alot. Equatorials are great, with either fine tuned hand controls or motorized.

By the way, the 70mm SkyLux refractor sold in Lidl branches last December are excellent - thats the 70mm I have, and I think its fantastic! It would make a terrific starter scope, had all the accessories, and was only €65!!!

Have a look at these sites:
    www.mccreaa.freeserve.co.uk
    www.andromedaoptics.com

These are friendy sites, though some scopes that you may have your heart set on could be a bit pricey - thats just the way it is in Rip-Off Ireland. And saying that, I WOULD NOT recommend Astronomy and Space shop of Astronomy Ireland fame, as they are even more expensive on the same models again! (don't know how they can be so expensive)

I would also recommend the www.irishastronomy.org site too. This is an umbrella group of any and all the amateur astronomical societies and clubs in Ireland, with many related forums online. Sign-up there, and you'll have a much wider audience to help you with than here. I'm there too, so I can certainly vouch for it.

Good luck, and feel free to ask for more - I'm no expert I might add, but if I can be of help, holler!

Seanie.

Advertisement