Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell pc Review + Poll

Options
  • 03-06-2004 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Dunno where to put this so Mods feel free to move at will.
    Ok,I bought myself a Dell Dimension 4600 November last year.
    When I went to buy the Dell i was told by a lot of people "No,no don't buy a Dell,they suck" but as i was lacking in funds and the finance plan appealed to me i decided to go with the Dell.
    Having the Pc over half a year now Ive found it to be a brilliant machine with no faults,as of yet,and does what it says on the tin.
    My few problems with Dell tho were small and quickly(well, kinda quickly anyway) sorted out :
    1. Wrong hd - gave me a new one within a week
    2. Flat panel monitor started to melt : had a courier out to replace it the next day.

But other than that ive had no problems
    Whats your opinion? Have you bought a dell and are happy or was all that i heard b4 i bought my pc filthy lies?

Was buying a Dell pc worth it? 17 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    100% 17 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I bought a Dell 6 or 7 years ago, it served me well; in fact I'm only just retiring it now (it's been used as a server for the last 4 or so years). The only incentive I have to buy one these days is the leasing plans though, and I've just bought an Aldi rig so I'm done for a while.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Dells aren;t crap, its just you can get better parts and performace for the same price if you go for a home built computer. Personally, despite the hassle of getting a new rig up and running, i would still do that in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by Garth_Vader
    2. Flat panel monitor started to melt

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

yeh,i had the thing a week and the corner just...well..started to melt,i dunno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

I have a couple of problems with Dell,

1. They make their own motherboards which 9/10 suck compared to other offerings.

2. Cheap-ass CD drives weather it be a DVD or DVD/ CD-RW drive their just, well cheap-ass....

3. The black case is getting old now, change it NOW

4. Dell CRT monitors (Black) give you eye burns :D , seriously tho they give me serious head akes. Thank god for LCD/TFT.

5. Support staff run off a database rather than experience, thats what I fouud, Come on Dell get some plp that now computers FFS.

6. The fact that you cant upgrade major parts of the PC e.g. MB which in turn means CPU & RAM. This goes back to the case & Power supply. I hate dell for this one.

Well thats about it, They do make very reliable machines but then again so do I hence I will never buy Dell again.

Thanks JoePC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

In ItCarlow there's a room completely full of Dell PC's, Totally unreliable machines in there. Terrible.

I also hate the upgrade problems with dell. They dont want you to upgrade. they want you to buy a new machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by elvis2002
    In ItCarlow there's a room completely full of Dell PC's, Totally unreliable machines in there. Terrible.

I also hate the upgrade problems with dell. They dont want you to upgrade. they want you to buy a new machine.

Every computer in ITB is a DELL.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

workin in a company with about 5000 desktops, the dell's are the most reliable we have, fushítsu semens are the worst

ps. dell support is very good too, if there is a prob they don't bitch about swapping parts out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Theres no reason for a Dell to be more unreliable than any other PC. If the IT staff can't fix the PC then to be honest that says more about the IT staff than it does the PC. You can buy Dell Trinitron CRT monitors which are excellent. The cheap CRT monitors are...cheap. You get what you pay for. What the heck is a "Eye burn" anyway?

Dell motherboards are almost duplicates of Intel motherboards. Often the same bios will work on both. Both Intel and Dell boards do not overclock. Other than that they are generally utterly reliable. They are not designed for people to upgrade because they are not designed for the PC enthusiasts market. They are designed for the business and home markets. Where the lack of stuff to muck about with means that people have less problems with them.

Dell use a customised case, psu connection (psu is the same otherwise) and the layout of the otherboard is not standard ATX. Other than that you can upgrade ram, cpu, agp, pci cards the same as you would with any other system. They are customised to make them very quiet and to differenciate them from other PC's on the market. Personally I'm not a fan of that approach, but from Dells point of view it makes perfect sense. Of course they want you to buy another Machine. Same as all the other big manufacturers, HP, Compaq, Apple included.

Support, personally I never used it. But I've heard no one should!

Basically theres no point in complaining the orange you have isn't a bannana.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

we upgraded to mainly dells in college, the instabilty on a college network i don't think is due to the computers, but the os they run and the whole general network being crap i found

data

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

oh yea, my worstation in work is a dell, has NEVER been powered down in two years, runnin like a charm, i'd never buy one for myself but if u want stability and dependability they are fine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

most of our office kit is DELL and we rarely have any bother, we use them because of the 3 year on site 4 hour warranty is about €500 extra, and removes the need for an indpenedant hardware maintanence agreement, at the end of the warranty peroid the machines are replaced, other than that RicardoSmith has hit the nail on the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Nuttzz
    most of our office kit is DELL and we rarely have any bother, we use them because of the 3 year on site 4 hour warranty is about €500 extra, and removes the need for an indpenedant hardware maintanence agreement, at the end of the warranty peroid the machines are replaced, other than that RicardoSmith has hit the nail on the head.

I forgot about that. The warranty and the bundled software are a big plus for most people, who need a new machine, and have to worry abut such things.

Advertisement