Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Wireless an option in my (thick walled) home???

• 03-06-2004 6:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I posted in the Elara forum on the site, but was told I should double check here to get some advice on setting up a simple wireless network in my home.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=162977

I'm getting Irish Broadband installed tomorrow (finally!) and would like to be able to use the connection on 3 seperate computers in my house.

The main computer which the connection will go to is in Room 1. The computer in Room 2 is about about 10m away from that in Room1 with a fairly solid wall between (it's quite an old house!). As the rooms are on opposite sides of a coridoor there are wooden doors there as well which might allow the signal pass easily. I assume a wireless signal should be able to pass fine through this?

Room 3 is upstairs and directly above Room 2. In terms of distance its about 20m but there are two walls and the ceiling/floor to contend with.

The folks at Elara reckoned it would be difficult to have a wireless setup (especially a cheap one) but I just wanted to make sure with you guys. My plan at the moment is just to get a cheap router and connect computers in Room 1 and Room 2 with a long cable. This is going to look quite ugly I'm sure but seems to be the only option. Computer 3 shall remain unconnected as I can't have another cable running all over the house.

Let me know if you have any better ideas or what you think I should do.

Thanks in advance (again!)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

this is how mine works room 1 downstairs room 2 diredtly above it(i should assume the floor is quite thick as it is a floor and all room 3 is also upstairs but not directly above room 1 and they all run perfectly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭blobert

Thanks for the quick reply.

Can you tell me what gear you are using and how much it cost?

Thanks

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Sounds like you need a directional antenna - all the coverage you need is in one direction.

I saw a site a while ago that described a way of making wee reflectors you could bodge onto the rubber ducky antenna of your average access point. Might be as good an approach as any.

I can't find a directional antenna on the elara website, saybe I'm not looking in the right spot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Only one way to find out...... try it.

802.11b is the best for coverage if you dont have a dect phone or video sender etc in the house .... AP's are regulated but if you get one from the states it may have a higher power output than an Irish/European one ..... be very careful with those though, they will most likely be over the allowable limits here.

I have heard that if you are having difficulty with wireless dead spots in the house that the best thing may be to go into the attic and hang it off the highest point...so it doesnt have to penetrate walls, only floorboards and plasterboard (but the plasterboard in the ceilings may be foil lined, which would rule that out)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

vbnets sell all sorts of antennas. A lot of the people in irishwan buy off them . You're looking for a small indoor one, but I think they stock those also.

Thanks for the replies

It seems as though 802.11b may be the way to go for a better signal?

Can anyone recommend a good shop which will have the equiptment I need. I've tried www.elara.ie, who seem pretty good...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

802.11g has better distance and speed.

I got some stuff from Elara alright, and some from other sources. I've no problems with signal.

Advertisement