Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless to interconnect two lans

• 03-06-2004 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭

Howye,

Asked something similar before and got some helpful responses - cant find the post but basically:

I need to link two wired LANs 150-200 metres apart and cabling is not an option.
    I have no need for wireless availability in either LAN.

So far i've gathered that I need a couple of antennae (there is line of sight between the two houses) and an access point connecting to the LANs at each end. I also know I need some sort of cable to connect the APs to the antennae. What cable do I need and what is the story with the male/female connectors (bar the obvious :-) )?

Also, I assume that on an AP with 2 anntenna normally, one of these antennae would be replaced with the roof anntenna? How do I know which one to use on each end?

Hardly the most informative post in the world, but if anyone can shed a bit of light on the subject i'd appreciate it, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Originally posted by ronanp
    So far i've gathered that I need a couple of antennae (there is line of sight between the two houses) and an access point connecting to the LANs at each end. I also know I need some sort of cable to connect the APs to the antennae. What cable do I need and what is the story with the male/female connectors (bar the obvious :-) )?

Without knowing what brand of AP you're using, it's hard to say what kind of connector it will have. Here are the common ones:

http://wireless.gumph.org/content/3/7/011-cable-connectors.html

There's an article on cable types on that site as well
    Originally posted by ronanp
    Also, I assume that on an AP with 2 anntenna normally, one of these antennae would be replaced with the roof anntenna? How do I know which one to use on each end?

Either one will do...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

sorry, accidental post, mods please delete, thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭ronanp

Thats a great link, thanks.

Supposing I had two of these:
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=ECE878674&productID=86312

Would it just be a matter at each end of just attaching one of the antennae. mounted outside, to the AP? Any idea which cable and connector it would be?

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

The Linksys ones usually have the Male RP-TNC connectors on the back, so you'd need a cable with a Female RP-TNC connector going up to your external antenna. If the connectors don't match up size-wise, you should be able to get adapters for the connectors from places like Maplins, RS or Farnell (or Peats if you like paying through the nose for stuff...).

Advertisement