Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English poetry

Options
  • 03-06-2004 8:37pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭

what poets are people learning for wednesday??

which poets?? 22 votes

Seamus Heaney
    0% 0 votes
    Patrick Kavanagh
    0% 0 votes
    Derek Mahon
    31% 7 votes
    Emily Dickinson
    27% 6 votes
    sylvia Plath
    36% 8 votes
    william Wordsworth
    0% 0 votes
    Robert Frost
    4% 1 vote
    Gerald Manley Hopkins
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Oakbark

Gahh! You make it sound so close to the time!

I'm learning two woman poets - Plath and Dickinson, Hopkins, Kavanagh and Mahon. Definitely one of them to turn up, prob even two or three.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

think that the kavanagh being born 1904 will make him a definate???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

Im learning Kavanagh and Dickinson inside out - and praying.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Wordsworth and Dickinson...with Kav for backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Since I'm doing pass English, I'll have to learn all poems from Kavanah, Dickinsion, plath, mahon, frost, heaney, wordsworth and Hopkins, although I'd love to skip Hopkins and Wordsworth, even though their pass poems are easy it's still a pain in the arse.

PS you should probably have made the poll multiple choice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

kavanagh, heany, hopkins and praying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭AndrewWK

Kavanagh and Dickinson. Please please please please please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Dickinson. Please, God, Dickinson. She's the onyl one I know properly so far - starting to cram Hopkins, Wordsworth, Frost and Mahon. If Dickinson doesn't come up, then maybe Hopkins or Wordsworth. I'm so fukced if Dickinson doesn't come up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

I'm skipping the hoping and praying part and just doing five poets to cover myself completely. It'd be nice if Dickinson came up, though.

Originally posted by claire h
    I'm skipping the hoping and praying part and just doing five poets to cover myself completely. It'd be nice if Dickinson came up, though.

Well, thats fine, but realisticly, there's not enough time now to get 5 poets done *thoroughly* - I've got two done properly, going to familiarise myself with 5 - 2 very well, 1 backup, and 2 just try and learn as much as I can about them in the next 4-5 days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Plath, Dickinson, Mahon, Heaney, and Kavanagh.

Mahon as a last resort. The others I know well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Originally posted by subway_ie
    Well, thats fine, but realisticly, there's not enough time now to get 5 poets done *thoroughly*

Such negative thinking! There's 5 whole days to go! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Dickinson, Wordsworth, Plath, Kavanagh, Heaney.

In order of how well I'd do.. but I suppose it all depends on the type of question. If Frost comes up I could scrawl something down but it would be scraping the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Dick In Son, Heaney and Kavanagh

Originally posted by claire h
    Such negative thinking! There's 5 whole days to go! :p

Hmmmm. Spent 3 hours this morning doing Dickinson, Mahon and Wordsworth. Moving onto Frost and Hopkins this evening. Still have to start revising Silas Marner, Macbeth, Of Mice and Men and Things Fall Apart though... not to mention my other 6 subjects...

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

4 days left.

Thought maybe if I typed it out it would have some meaning to me.

Originally posted by Discharger Snake
    4 days left.

Thought maybe if I typed it out it would have some meaning to me.

I think it works better when you say "on Wednesday" - until Tuesday - then "tomorrow". Then, on Wednesday, you'll probably be feeling so fukced that you won't be able to say anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Stalin

Im only doing Mahon ,Dick-in-son and kavanagh...Ive only done Mahon and Kavanah in detail over the last while...But the thing about Emily is that they will have to put a female poet on for sure so i guess we could count on her....

Is it safe just to cover theme in comparative ????

Originally posted by Stalin
    But the thing about Emily is that they will have to put a female poet on for sure so i guess we could count on her....

Is it safe just to cover theme in comparative ????

Well, Plath could come up again, there's nothing stopping them putting her on - they did it with Heaney before.

It isn't really safe to leave anything out in English - theme and literary genre are the most likely to come up, but any of them could. Plus the two questions are usually slightly different in the way they're asked - one has two parts, the other is just a straight essay.

I'm pretty banjaxed if theme doesn't come up. But really, they've already shown who's boss by repeating 2 poets, they don't *really* need to pull another wanker with three CCs in a row do they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

I'm doing dickenson and kavanagh in major detail and then have also covered plath heaney hopkins and frost less thoroughly, everyone is saying dickenson and kavangh so am really hoping dickenson but i think at the end of the day it's pure chance what comes up you can't really predict. they might not put it on coz they know everyone will expect it(ie kavanagh). here's hoping it works out though

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Normally I would never correct someone, but this is your leaving, so for your own benifit, it's Dickinson not Dickenson!

Her and Kavanagh seem to be the most promising. Sadly. Kavanagh sucks.

cheers jes but kavangh is boring yet simple. i just much prefer dicki nson coz you get much better languge use out pf a question on her. she's far more complex then kavanagh!

Np. kavanagh is just such a hipocrite like. Spends all his time talking about innocence, and yet, in his life he turned down women becuase they were too old [10 years younger than him!!!]

Dickinson is cool. I love her introverted exploration! "hope is a thing with feathers" is one of my favorite poems!

i love her coz i love the use of poetry to convey her mental anguish and rollercoaster of emotions all that stuff,a bit like plath, it just makes it more interesting to study than the like of kavanagh or even heaney, inspired by life events, it's just dull and predictable!I like hopkins too, cept the refs to religion can get a bit predictable and boring to write about!Oh dear god can you believe our lives have become consumed by this stuff

Ha, never again will I have to do an english comparitive/peotry/macbeth IN MY LIFE :D

Hurrah! lol.

It's too much sometimes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Ye thats really surreal, I mean after tommorrow I will never have to even think of poems! :D:D

Im doing Emily dicko and Mister Kavo himself! :D

I love emily as there is just SO much to write about, so many varying themes, the exotic punctuation and rhyme, lack of titles, the depth and challange that her poems offer, pure class! :D

Kananagh on the other hand is a boring old bogger :D:D:D:D but hes gotta be done cause im only doing the 2 :( :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

good ole dick-in-son, kavanagh and that feckin eejit Hopkins are my top 3. If they don't come up, i'm SSSCCRRREEEEWWEDD

Gluck all!

It'll be all i can think of not to laugh when i write about "A long fellow in the grass" That is such an innuendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

with a standard introduction to the poetry of X question, is it better to deal with five poems seperately, or to crisscross amoung them using themes as reference. The former is a lot easier.

• Advertisement

Poem by poem is the easiest way to do it, and there's nothing wrong with that as long as you relate each poem you do to the question. You only have to do 4 btw.

Advertisement