Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox mods

Options
  • 03-06-2004 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this but I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a mod chip for my Xbox? I want to network it to my PC and use it as a media centre, and am giving some thought to trying to figure out how to use it as a hardware firewall.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Al

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

there's a sticky on the games board:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=155577

if you need more info ask on the thread or send me a pm

Nige

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

There's also a place that does this commercially...

http://www.friendtech.com/

And they do paint jobs, adding hard drives, memory, faster processor...
    Lots of cool options :)

And there's an article here where they had X-Box set up as a media center, and they used Friendtech's mod:
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/consumer/20040511/index.html

friendtech are pricey apart from the lite(which is just really a normal xbox with a sticker skin on it) if you want the cpu enchanced version it'll cost you $479 ex postage - the weight of a boxed new xbox(It doesn't say on the site if they include the controller av cables etc) must be at least 4kg so the postage has to be at least $45 on top of that. Also you'd probably have to switch it to PAL from NTSC but that's not really a problem.

even if you were to buy a brand new crystal xbox and pay for someone to mod it - you couldn't go past €300

Nige

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 katyandhatty

I got my mod chip put in for me, and I don't do soldering. Got it from www.gameworx.net at £50 (english site). Nice people though and they put all the software on for me too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

Originally posted by katyandhatty
    I got my mod chip put in for me, and I don't do soldering. Got it from www.gameworx.net at £50 (english site). Nice people though and they put all the software on for me too!

stop spamming that site please

back on topic
    it doesn't matter what mod chip you buy, just get the cheapest and flash it with m7.bin, you will have to download x-disk too which is about 300mb

as for that firewall thing, i guees you'll need to install linux on it

• Advertisement

now i am lost, I've not spammed them!

We got Xecuter 2.3b Lite which is cool, but I seem from the teamxecuter site that release 3 is out shortly. I should have waited a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Since Katy has bumped this I figure I may as well reply too. Elemer (above) chipped my xbox there recently - nice bloke did a pro job for cheap - no complaints. If you're thinking about getting someone else to chip your box, send him a PM - can't hurt :)

now i am lost, I've not spammed them!

We got Xecuter 2.3b Lite which is cool, but I seem from the teamxecuter site that release 3 is out shortly. I should have waited a bit

about 12 hrs ago, you only had 2 posts on boards, both recommending the same web address, looks like you signed up to boards to advertise, now you have 4 posts, still 2 advertising that site and now 2 defending that your not spamming/advertising

ahh ok, i guess the point of being a newbie is to learn these things. but now you've made me feel completely stupid I'll leave all you guys to your own odd little world. girls do gadgets too you know.

not too bad - i presume that includes return postage. how much did it cost you to send the xbox. with that recent ruling in the uk i presume most places will be shutting down. so i guess if it cost you 15 euro to post it that'd mean you end up paying 90 euro which is a bit more than a local install if available.

the x3 would have cost you alot more but depending on the install method you may be able to straight swap the chip later. but i doubt you'd find any need to do that as it's the bios that does more of the tricks

Nige

• Advertisement

ahh ok, i guess the point of being a newbie is to learn these things. but now you've made me feel completely stupid I'll leave all you guys to your own odd little world. girls do gadgets too you know.

sorry for accusing you of spamming, i am not a mod so just ignore me

don't feel stupid, your right to point us in the right direction for bargains

this is not our own litte world, enjoy boards, it will help pass hrs a day

i do know that girls do gadgets too, also wish mine did she just want's to watch emmerdale

and I'm sorry again

Advertisement