Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox Hunting. Your Opinion

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭noels little bu

I come from a small village and i really believe that fox hunting should be banned.

The hunt of about 30 or 40 and sometimes more meet up in our village and totally take over the place. Their horses do their business all over the place and it is left to the people who own the houses to come out and clean after them.

Then they have the nerve to block the road and stand around talking and get annoyed when traffic try to pass them and have to ask them to move. They act as they have the right to be there and why should they move.

They take there kids in to my garden to watch the horses and hounds because they dont want them gettin hurt.

last summer while some members of the hunt were out excerising these hounds, there was 1 dog in the area that was ripped to pieces by them. For people that are meant to have total control over these animals they didnt do a good job that day. These hound should not be excerisced in public areas.

As for the fox hunting, it is so cruel that a person can get pleasure out of watching dogs rip a fox to pieces is sick.

It should be banned. All it is a bunch of stuckup hobnobs who want to show off by prancing around in a group of people, saying "look at me, I kill foxes beacuse i have money and a horse.)
    And before anyone has a go at me i am not having a go at them because they have more than me because in reality i am quite comfortably of and dont need to kill animals to show this.

I AM TALKING ABOUT THE LOUTH HUNT!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think I've been through this 100 times, and gotten way too worked up about it, so I won't bother again.

I do find something ridiculously hypocritical in saboteur groups though, particularly those who'll hurt the horses. A bit like anarchists who claim that violence at their rallies is not their fault. (Oh god, can open, worms everywhere).

Bottom line is, they're a pest to farmers, granted, but population control is a feeble excuse used by fox hunters to justify what they do, attempting to use a rational argument to counter emotional or opinion-based ones. For the amount of hunts that take place, the actual amount of 'control' done is negligible. That is, how many hunts take place per month? Let's say one. Then the removal of 12 foxes per year isn't exactly going to make a significant impact on the local fox population.

There are more efficient, humane, even non-lethal control methods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

We have a real problem with overpopulation in prisons too, don't we? why not hunt a convict? You'll get the thrill of the chase, and the extra thrill of having a fox that could end up hunting you if you're not careful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by The Real B-man
    100% wrong a bunch of spoilt rich knobs sending dogs after a fox for so called sport basterds
    You couldn't be more wrong.
    Please get your facts right before making a comment like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by noels little bu

Where abouts in Louth does this happen? Have you spoken to the hunt master or the Guards, if people complain they'll probably have to move their meeting point

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭kahlua

We have a real problem with overpopulation in prisons too, don't we? why not hunt a convict?

Been there done that, they do it in South Africa, its how they train the police dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭kahlua

I remember that, it just goes to show some hunts are very irresponsible. Some hunts train the dogs for their visciousness and put the dogs down when they get to a certain age, which i don't agree with either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I keep hens, and I don't support fox-hunting. I protect my hens with a sturdy chain-link run.

But on the other hand, fox-hunting might be fair - if the fox is allowed to have its own advocate; perhaps someone with an Uzi who can shoot down the hunters after a rousing chase?

I've heard hunters say that foxes are left alone if they go to ground - but I've also seen footage (rather more convincing) of hunters digging out fox cubs and setting their dogs on the cubs to tear them to pieces.

In disliking hunting, part of my distaste comes from the cruelty to animals. Another part comes from the fear that it teaches the humans who do it to be cold-hearted and cruel, and strengthens these characteristics where they already exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by luckat
    But on the other hand, fox-hunting might be fair - if the fox is allowed to have its own advocate; perhaps someone with an Uzi who can shoot down the hunters after a rousing chase?
    Leave your childish comments at the door please.
    Originally posted by luckat
    I've heard hunters say that foxes are left alone if they go to ground - but I've also seen footage (rather more convincing) of hunters digging out fox cubs and setting their dogs on the cubs to tear them to pieces.
    It does happen, I will not disagree with you. I don't agree with a digging a fox out if it goes to ground. If it made it to a safe spot it should be left. Some hunts will have bring a fox in a cage and give it a few minutes head start. Then the chase begins. The fox wouldn't have any cubs to take care of.

Advertisement