Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SATA HDD on Win 2k?

Options
  • 03-06-2004 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

Hi -

I'm building my first box, and I got a SATA 120GB Samsung SP1213C HDD. It was detected just fine in the BIOS, but booting to a Win 2000 disk is not happening - the OS doesn't see it. Is it supported by the OS? I'm not sure what ot do next...any help greatly appreciated.

q

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

did you put the driver for the SATA on a floppy?
    the driver will be on the CD with the motherboard!

then you need to press F6 (or F5 or something) at the start of windows setup
    (it prompts you to press it at the bottom)

and then later on in the setup put in the floppy and it will load up the driver from that
    (windows doesnt let you take out the win2000 CD during installation)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

What type of motherboard do you have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Win2k doesn't have built-in SATA drivers.

Just press F6 when prompted by Windows during the installation, as Joe said, and insert the floppy you got with the motherboard, with the SATA controller label.

If you don't have the floppy disk, you can download it from the manufacturer.

It will load the driver and set up as normal, just one extra step.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Originally posted by netman
    Win2k doesn't have built-in SATA drivers.
    Thats true Xp does have them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

When the win2k setup prompts for SCSI or other drivers stick in a floppy disk with the SATA drivers on it, and robert's your fathers bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Thanks all!
    OK, I found a driver disk with the drivers on - it was with the mobo. I made my machine without a floppy drive (I know, I shouldn't have), so I cannibalized an old box I had here for the floppy drive. Turns out the floppy drive on that is knackered! I'm currently waiting on someone to turn up with *another* old box so I can get the FDD out of that. My living room looks like a PC graveyard.
    q

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Hi -
    My new PC is up and running! The driver floppy was actually screwed, so I had to make another. Thanks for the help!
    q

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

its crazy that nowadays you need a floppy drive on a new pc.
    i had to buy one for mine and the only time it has ever been used was to install the sata drivers when installing windows. no other use for it.

Advertisement