Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tv tuner {REQUEST}

• 04-06-2004 12:06am
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭

just wondering where i can get a usb tv tuner for my laptop....

something like this

ascheep as possiable, i'm a poor student...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

That's not a bad price for a USB tuner... The MSI one down the bottom of this page http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/TV_Cards.html equates to about €70 +P&P. I can't see you knocking much more off of that price unless you want to go ebaying or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

how do these things work? Once you have it installed onto your Pc, do you plug in the Cable Tv coax cable into the device and then you can watch tv? can you record stuff onto the pc? I'd love to be able to record Formula one races and then burn to Dvd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by ando
    how do these things work? Once you have it installed onto your Pc, do you plug in the Cable Tv coax cable into the device and then you can watch tv? can you record stuff onto the pc? I'd love to be able to record Formula one races and then burn to Dvd
    In answer to both your questions... Yes and yes, the one mentioned is an analogue tuner only though so you can't have digital broadcasts.

ah yeah I think thats what i have, the basic package from Ntl, the 12 channels. Sweet, I must get me one of these

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

If one got a PCI TV card and put it into a machine with ntl, in turn connected to a Wireless AP, could you share the card as a virtual lan device and view and change tv channels around the house on a laptop?
    I've got a PCI Digital Satellite card, but I'm not quite sure how to share it. It's awkard getting a cable in the windows every time I want to use it also. I know it shows up as a lan connection when enabled.

Interested in getting one of these analogue cards just for ntl if I can get it shared along with the internet connection over my wireless access point. Could be tres useful!

• Advertisement

lol never taught of that, so effectivaly you could have a 17" portable tv :D I wonder how much bandwidth it would take on the network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Originally posted by daveyjoe
    That's not a bad price for a USB tuner... The MSI one down the bottom of this page http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/TV_Cards.html equates to about €70 +P&P. I can't see you knocking much more off of that price unless you want to go ebaying or something.

Just wondering would this do analouge, digital or both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭positron

This link says it supports only NTSC Analogue!! May be thats just the US version spec? It looks good otherwise, sizewise.

http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=2267913

sweet, this thing is cool. For some reason the screenshot did not turn out right, but that box at the top right has Sweden VS Bulgaria on Itv :D

tv.jpg

I'm a bit supprised how much CPU it takes up, about 40% constantly. I dont think there is any way of sharing the tv over the network but

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i'd say it's because tc refreshes slower then a computer does....

24.3frames per second tv, 75+ frames per second pc

• Advertisement

ando, did you get one from that list? which one, and hows it looking?

I am looking at the last one (MSI ) for my laptop (Dell Inspiron 8200), anyone tried that before?

Cheers!

Pos!

This is the one I got:

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=VID00425&productID=79335

Its a bit more expensive than the ones from earlier in this thread. The quality from it is good and the software included is fast changing channels compared to other 3rd party software

Thanks ando, but can't use PCIs in my tiny laptop. External tuners anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by Emerson
    If one got a PCI TV card and put it into a machine with ntl, in turn connected to a Wireless AP, could you share the card as a virtual lan device and view and change tv channels around the house on a laptop?
    I've got a PCI Digital Satellite card, but I'm not quite sure how to share it. It's awkard getting a cable in the windows every time I want to use it also. I know it shows up as a lan connection when enabled.

Interested in getting one of these analogue cards just for ntl if I can get it shared along with the internet connection over my wireless access point. Could be tres useful!
    Um, streaming probably wouldn't work toowell, bandwidth and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭jo.king

quote:
    just wondering where i can get a usb tv tuner for my laptop....

something like this

ascheep as possiable, i'm a poor student...

Anybody know if this box has an internal S-Video port i.e. so i can import old home movies from a video camera on to my pc?

Advertisement