Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vehicle Licensing Certificate

Options
  • 04-06-2004 9:43am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

A guy I'm buying a car off mentioned yesterday evening that the car has two owners, plus him, but he doesn't really count cos the car was never registered in his name. If he didn't send the VLC back, is the car actually his to sell? Or, assuming that the previous owner had filled in their part of the doc, is it ok for me to fill in mine and send it back? (I don't actually know what's on the VLC yet, not buying till this evening. As another example, what if his details are already filled in, what the hell do I do then? What if the previous owners details aren't? And why can't life be simple, why can't I just jump in and drive the bugger!? :))

Also, I've seen people warn that buyers should check for problems on the car, to see if it's stolen or there's outstanding debt on it. How?

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

That sounds rather odd... What reason would he have for not registering the car as his? If the previous owners details are filled in on the VLC, you could just fill yours in and send it away. If his details are filled in too, I'd imagine you'd have to send the form away, wait until he is issued a new cert and then get him to fill your details in on that one and send that away. At least then there will be a record of him owning the car.

If there is a glaring lack of owner details for the car, I'd suggest checking the reg out with the cops to see if theres anything dodgy about it. I'm sure the gardai would be able to tell you if it's stolen, but theres some other agency that can tell you if theres outstanding debt... They were mentioned here a few times I think, just cant remember the name.

Anyway, hopefully this helps in some small way.. I'd hate to think I've just wasted the last ten minutes typing waffle... Good luck with the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

First, you should get the car checked by a mechanic for faults. If you ring the AA breakdown service they should be able to sort you out with an engineer who will call out to where you are and check the car for around €50. They'll usually do a thourough job.

Second, on the VLC, make sure you are 100% happy with what you see because if you do hand over the money and take the car and there are problems with registering the car in your name, the car is basically useless and you are 99% likely to never see your money again.

In some cases the VLC can be in another name - like if the car was on finance it would be in the name of the bank or lending institution. In that case you would have to chack to make sure that the loan has been discharged with the bank/LI.

If it is in another person's name other than the guy selling it, be very careful. You would really need to be speaking to the person to whom it is registered. Also, it is usually the seller of the car that sends away the VLC. If it was never registered in this guys name he was likely never insured on it and he was likely driving illegaly. Not a good sign to start with. And if he does have a VLC that is signed by the previous owner and is waiting for your signature to change the name, the car will be put in your ownership from the date of the signing on the VLC and you will be liable for backdated road tax to that date.

Basically, buying private can be very costly if rushed into. Don't fall into the trap of impulse buying because you like the car. Get it checked and re-checked till you are 100% sure you are not handing over a load of money for nothing.

By the way, I totally recommend the '87-'94 (i think) Merc E Class. They are ultra sexy and will go for ever. They are usually leather int and are one bloody comfortable drive. Seriously, take a drive in one (E230 or E250), it's a helluva feeling!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by The Clown Man
    First, you should get the car checked by a mechanic for faults.
    This is covered anyway, I had a mechanic look at it yesterday and he's pretty happy with it.
    If you ring the AA breakdown service they should be able to sort you out with an engineer who will call out to where you are and check the car for around €50. They'll usually do a thourough job.
    They probably would, but not for €50! They wanted €439 to look over a Saab 9000 for me last week. I told them where they could stick it.

On the VLC, I guess I'll need to wait to see what's on the certificate. Good point about the tax, but I'm not sure about the insurance -- I'm pretty sure the insurance companies will insure you on production of the VLC, waiting around for the new VLC could take a month or so, which is unfeasible for most people.

(I won't be able to insure the car until next Monday anyway, so I won't be rushing into anything.)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

I never had to produce VLC to any insurance company before. Anyway as per paper work

Technically who ever is registered owner on the system, can claim the ownership at any time. So if you buy the car of this guy(unregistered owner) and previous owner decides to take it back, there is nothing stopping him from doing so.

The only thing you can do is chase the seller for the money, on bases that you have receipt /record of money paid to the guy.

I many cases you will be ok just by filling new details on to the form(bypassing this unregistered owner) and sending it off and I did it many times but this all depends on money involved .

However,It happened to me before that owner tried to claim the car off me and my lovely car ended up in Garda station for the time of the dispute.

I took me month to clarify everything.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, I reckon yerman is ok, but it's never wise to take too many chances. If the form has just the previous owners name I'd be inclined to fill in my name and go for it, but I don't want to leave myself liable for backtax to February either.

What DO you have to produce to the insurance company by the way. I'm pretty sure the last time I talked to them they wanted to see the VLC and NCT. I guess that could be cos it's my first time getting insured in my own name though.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

You're just liable for tax from the date you purchase it (which will be filled in on the form). If the tax is up, you'll have to wait until you get your VLC back before you can tax it.

I haven't been asked for any papers by the insurance company, but the tax ask for your VLC (and NCT papers as far as I can remember aswell).

Maybe the guy that "owns" the car right now got it through a friend and didn't want the hassle of registering it. It seems a bit dodgy though.

Originally posted by koneko
    You're just liable for tax from the date you purchase it (which will be filled in on the form). If the tax is up, you'll have to wait until you get your VLC back before you can tax it.
    Yeah, but if the date was filled in on the VLC when this guy bought it... Errah, I guess there's no point speculating until I see the actual form.
    Maybe the guy that "owns" the car right now got it through a friend and didn't want the hassle of registering it. It seems a bit dodgy though. [/B]
    That seems to be the thing, cos I was all ready to take it away last night but his buddy had the VLC and couldn't get it to him till today. I'll know this evening anyway. Bummer that I won't be able to get it insured until Tuesday if I do actually buy it. Lazy insurance bastards.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

That seems to be the thing, cos I was all ready to take it away last night but his buddy had the VLC and couldn't get it to him till today

well, if his buddy is fully aware of the sale and is actually going to give him the book then kind of makes things better, he could sign the VLC at the same time and you just put your name down, when you get it from your buddy.

Take receipt of him too,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

One point to consider: Does the Irish vehicle registration actually show the name of the owner? Over here the certificates clearly point out that they show only the registered keeper, who may or may not also be the legal owner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It states that it is the registered owner which may not be the benefical owner.

Incidently, I did have to submit my VLC after I recieved it back. It was not looked for straight away but I was required to submit it on receipt. Dunno how other Insurers do it but I would have thought that they needed proof that you own the car as only one insurance policy is allowed on any one car (AFAIK - I think I heard that before).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

What does AFAIK mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

In short, it doesnt matter who's name is on the VLC. If someone can prove ownership they can take the car off you.

Example, when you buy a car on finance, the bank owns the car but your name is on the VLC. If it wasn't the bank would be responsible for taxing it and any fines that the car picks up. In this case , you are the registered owner but the bank is the beneficial owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Adam, if you are handing over money to this guy, I'd do it in the front office of a garda station :)

If you can make sure the chassis / engine number matches the plates.

Advertisement