Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max temps for a graphics card OC?

Options
  • 04-06-2004 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 256Mb card and this is the first time I have tried to overclock it. I was just wondering what temperatures should not be exceeded?

When it's not running heavy graphics, it's temp is usually around 36C, and when it's overclocked and running games etc, it gets up to about 41 or 42C. I've no idea what's considered too hot. Are these temps ok ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Dont worry about the temp when it comes to graphics cards overclocking, once it is suficently cooled you wont have a problem. 36C seems a very little low how are you taking these readings?
    Normally when you have reached the max limit of your card it will let you know by crashing or corrupt graphics.
    sorry about the spelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Originally posted by ARGINITE
    how are you taking these readings?

There's a temp reading in the 'Overdrive' tab of my display settings.

Thanks for the reply. Just out of interest, what temp is considered too high for a graphics card ? The card has an on-board cooling fan for the GPU, so does this mean I can be more adventurous about overclocking the core as opposed to the memory?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Fans are commonplace on pretty much all recent graphics cards nowadays. Fancy ones like the arctic silencer aren't though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Vladimar

I'd consider it to be the same as the CPU, the high 40's are where you should pay attention, anywhere below that is safe enough, I'd be worried if it hit 50 but it'll start corrupting the video output before then most likely.

I have the exact same card as you - assuming you got the free hl2 voucher - except its connected to the watercooling [check out the pic for more].

I'd reccomend using ATI Tool to overclock, it stops climbing when it starts getting artifacts [corruption, overheating].

Also, If you start using RadLinker, DISABLE OVERDRIVE, they mess each other up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Thanks Vladimar, I'll try that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Dont leave ATI Tool on to long. It has been reported that people have burned out there video cards by doing so.

Advertisement