Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request:P4/Amd Xp laptop

• 04-06-2004 11:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Needs to be new(company claiming the Vat),dont really need an M processor as it is really only to be used as a desktop replacement, dont want a celeron but everything else is fairly flexable. Wont be used for anything hectic in work just usual office stuff but would like a decent spec for playing games at home:D , price range €1400-1600 inc vat

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Anyone? the reason I ask is because the only jobby Dell have has a sh$t graphics chip in it which is a shame as even if you wish to upgrade you can only go to a 64mb 5200. I see komplett are doing the Medion but it only has the M P1.5 chip and I was hoping to get something faster. I take it the M chip is only good on power saving and not faster than the usual pentiums ie: an M P 1.5 is not faster than say a normal P 2.8

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Sztraik

You could check www.gericom.com where they have P4 with Ati 9700 (Blockbuster 2) or simply check on www.kelkoo.co.uk or similar sites. I'm looking for a similar config. In the continent Acer has the Aspire 1620 series which would be perfect (you can see it on their UK website though www.acer.co.uk), but I couldn't find it here or in the UK yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Thanks for the links Sztraik will check them out, Xithus
    seen this one myself but while the M processors is better on battery life
    http://www.intel.com/products/notebook/processors/pentiumm/ its very low speed ie: 1.5Ghz compared to some other ones like 2.8ghz of normal processors.What are the main difference between the two types of processors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Baud

A 1.6G Pentium M is comparable in speed to a 2.2-2.4G P4. The pentium 4 has less cache, and severe penalties whenever it makes a branching mistake.

I have a 1.5G P-M and it's perfectly fine.. I run Farcry etc on it without any problems. It's encoding video at around the same speed as the 2.4G P4 shuttle next to it.

L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Clock speed means less and less these days.

Thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

webelectronix.com

Advertisement