Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cremation of pets

• 04-06-2004 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

My cat has to be euthanised (cancer) tomorrow and I asked my vet how much cremation is. THREE HUNDRED EURO! Apparently the nearest place that does animal cremation is in Belfast.

Does this seem a little excessive or is it just me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

A little excessive. Maybe consider burying her in your garden. At least then you can visit her grave whenever you wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by neev
    A little excessive. Maybe consider burying her in your garden. At least then you can visit her grave whenever you wish.

Yep that's what i'm going to do now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

if you are on pet insurance you can get it done for free maybe a thaught for your next pet:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Dolan84

Cremation of pets? A bit weird imo. I dunno, but if i walked into some ones house and spotted an urn on the mantle with "snowball" or "rover" written on it, i'd have my doubts. Suppose if the person had dogs or something that might dig up their pets corpse, but even still id rather bury my pet somewhere nice, outside of my garden.

Originally posted by The Real B-man
    if you are on pet insurance you can get it done for free maybe a thaught for your next pet:)

and get the ashes back? Cos I was quoted 300 euro for a cat. A labrador costs about 800 euro my vet told me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭R33F

Originally posted by eth0_
    My cat has to be euthanised (cancer) tomorrow and I asked my vet how much cremation is. THREE HUNDRED EURO! Apparently the nearest place that does animal cremation is in Belfast.

Does this seem a little excessive or is it just me?

Hey eth0_, sorry to hear about your cat.

the option of cremation is very expensive here (Aust) as well. My parents had a working dog (blue cattle) for 15 odd years, he had cancer, and was euthanised about 12 mths before they bought there current property. Rather then burying him at the old property, they had him cremated and buried him at the new place.

A little weird i know for some ppl, but their option all the same.

I also know an animal can be stored at the vets for a short period until the owner chooses which way to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

So sorry to hear about your cat.

There is a pet crematorium in Bray, don't know why they told you Belfast. We got our first rabbit cremated there last year and it cost about 150Euro. His remains were collected from the vet's and dropped back there, takes a couple of weeks.
    The price does increase depending on the pet (obviously the bigger the more expensive)

Originally posted by Shewhomustbe...
    So sorry to hear about your cat.

There is a pet crematorium in Bray, don't know why they told you Belfast. We got our first rabbit cremated there last year and it cost about 150Euro. His remains were collected from the vet's and dropped back there, takes a couple of weeks.
    The price does increase depending on the pet (obviously the bigger the more expensive)

I'll have to look into that. Perhaps my vet has some sort of deal/scam going with the crematorium in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

Could be, or maybe just doesn't know?

We used to go to the Animal Hospital in Tallaght, 37 Main St. Ph: 01-4596194.
    They are lovely there and very accomodating so if its convenient you might want to give them a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

what is wrong with you ppl? you don't see a problem with shelling out a couple of hundred euro to cremate a cat? Don't get me wrong I understand you love your pets but your being taken for a rid. If you want to cremate it do it yourself, it can be a nice tastful place like a clear night on the beach. Start a bonfire, put your pet (in a box if you must) and leave its ashes scatter to the sea, or just do it at home.

Or if your like my family, wrap the body in a plastic bag, place it in a box and bury it a good three-four feet in the back yard

or do like that recent AH thread :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Sorry to hear about your cat. My sisters cat died at Christmas, it was quite unexpected, so we had no option but to bury her in the garden. Just make sure you bury a little deeper at this time of year, the smell could be quite unpleasant, also, scavengers will dig it up if it's not deep enough (sorry to be so blunt, but it's important to be practical) My old dog is getting on, and although she's fine now, I'd know when her time comes we'll want to have her cremated, even though it's so expensive. I'm nearly positive there is a Crematorium in Dublin/Wicklow... I think UCD use one in their veterinary course..

Originally posted by Unpossible
    If you want to cremate it do it yourself, it can be a nice tastful place like a clear night on the beach. Start a bonfire, put your pet (in a box if you must) and leave its ashes scatter to the sea, or just do it at home.

Wow. Possibly the most insensitive thing i've read here in a while.
    Picture the scene: Your much loved pet who you've had for many years dies. You suggest they put the carcass in a box, build a fire and watch it burn, and smell its burning flesh?

A> That's illegal
    B> That's extremely unpleasant and upsetting
    C> That sort of fire would not get hot enough to cremate. You'd be left with the skeleton. Crematoriums use special ovens that reach several hundred degrees centigrade so the bones start to break up. They then put the ashes in a special machine with ball bearings in it to crush everything into a fine powder.

So you see, not such a smart idea.

I'm sure it costs over a thousand to cremate a human, so 300 for a pet really isn't such a huge amount, especially when you consider some people love their pets as much as their children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Just make sure you bury a little deeper at this time of year, the smell could be quite unpleasant, also, scavengers will dig it up if it's not deep enough

That wouldn't stop underground crawlies like ants and worms from... getting at the body? I wouldn't like that to happen to my cat's body; just thinking about it is.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

^^^^ Well, that is kind of the purpose of burying something.. so it will decompose. Insects will rapidly help to do this, and it's perfectly natural... but if it really bothers you then cremation would be a better option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Metallicababe

funny i tod my dad the prices of cremetion of pets here he told me he would do it any1 for 50 euro ...cheeky monkey

Advertisement