Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Bus commute '42pc quicker' than taking a car to the city

• 04-06-2004 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭

http://home.eircom.net/content/unison/national/3326026?view=Eircomnet
    Bus commute '42pc quicker' than taking a car to the city
    Friday, 4th June, 2004

BUS commuters in the greater Dublin area are reaching their destinations up to 42pc faster than those making the same journey by car, an official report has revealed.

The report, based on monitoring of the city's Quality Bus Corridors (QBC), has found that due to gridlock, buses are outperforming cars on seven on the city's nine routes.

There is also an increase in the number of commuters leaving their cars at home, according to the survey by the Dublin Transportation Office (DTO).

Commuters travelling into the city on the Finglas QBC during the morning rush hour are benefiting most.

The average bus journey on the route takes 11 minutes 46 seconds, compared to 20 minutes 20 seconds by car, resulting in a 42pc time saving.

The office monitored QBC corridors in Finglas, Stillorgan, Malahide, Rathfarnham, Lucan, Tallaght, Swords, Blanchardstown and North Clondalkin.

The survey showed an 8pc increase in the number of bus passengers and a 5pc decrease in the number of cars entering the city over the period November 2002 to November 2003.

The supply of buses on QBCs has increased by 35pc.

John Henry, DTO chief executive, yesterday stressed the need for similar investment in rail infrastructure to ensure that the longer term and overall objectives of the public transport strategy were achieved.

"QBC corridors are a key element in the overall strategy for Dublin. These results clearly show how successful they have been in attracting people out of their cars and onto bus services.

"However, there is a limit to the role that the bus can play in the longer term and significant complementary investment in rail infrastructure is required to achieve the strategic goals that have been set down for the region," said Mr Henry.

"While we are encouraged by the results, we are acutely aware that more work is also needed to continue to provide priority for buses both by extending the Quality Bus Network and by making improvements to those sections of the QBC corridors where buses are caught up in general traffic."

Treacy Hogan Environment Correspondent

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I wionder to they take into account time spent waiting for a bus, particurly when the scheduled departure fails to show - like last fuppin Saturday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

With the waiting time taking into account, I need on average 1 hour from Foxrock church to Phibsborough (with one change in the centre where I can wait up to 10-15 mn)... I think this is very good/fast.
    I don't know how long it will be with a car but with they don't look like to move very quickly...
    Only the motorbikes are faster...

People are always complaining about Dublin Bus, but even if there's still few areas with problems overall it is working pretty well.

In fact when you think about it, peoples are always complaining about their public transport... wherever they are! :rolleyes:

Raphael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I was waiting at Cherrywood for a 45 last week.

The bus leaves Bray and heads to town, not much of a trip really to Cherrywood. I waited 45 minute for a bus that goes every 20. Then 2 came.

I really hate that.

MrP

Advertisement