Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dermo turns Limerick on

Options
  • 04-06-2004 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Dermo to-day turned on the Liimerick MAN . Now all we need is someone to run the thing.

M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

And an enjoyable event it was too! Dermot even drove on the new motorway to check it out.

thegills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Lucky Limerick. 5 mbit/sec for all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 phill

would this make any difference to business customers who were to far from exchanges before? I take it it doesnt increase the catchment area of where broadband is available?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by phill
    would this make any difference to business customers who were to far from exchanges before? I take it it doesnt increase the catchment area of where broadband is available?
    thanks
    Afraid not phill, your assumption is correct. It's a handy (and hopefully cheaper) way for telcos and businesses (or anyone else with the cash) to shunt data around Limerick (runs relatively close to my front door I think) but for an ordinary Joe Soap like yourself or myself (or a business Joe Soap if that's what you are) your DSL access is still distance-dependent from the exchange.

May not be much of a consolation to you but IBB will have to do something about their wireless licence granted for Limerick in the next few months if they don't want to run the remote risk of Comreg takign it from them. If you're currently too far from the three (four?) DSL-enabled Limerick exchanges to get DSL you may still be out of their range if they focus on the city as they're likely or obliged to do. If you're in the country or one of Co Limerick's towns you may be waiting longer or a lot longer.

It's one of the primary things for consideration for me if herself comes back down from Galway and wants to move to a flat actually big enough for two (I'm stuck in Limerick for at least the next two years). No DSL or alternative, no move. That and never getting in Chorus again but I digress

The Limerick MAN connects most of the eircom exchanges by fibre so when ComReg sort out access to copper you should see telco's offering a DSL product (One telco is rumoured to be interested in offering an IP type of DSL which could extend the distance from the exchange). There is fibre in most of the business parks and there are numerous telco's looking to roll-out a service (Depending on telecoms spend some of them may connect to buildings directly via fibre).
    The MAN will also provide backhaul to the wireless operators if they need it.

thegills

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by thegills
    The MAN will also provide backhaul to the wireless operators if they need it.
    To where? Via who's network? For how much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Agent7249

Was at a shop the other day, no more than a 2 minute walk from my house, saw some eircom people workin on one of those manholes, supposedly making broadband enabled for the area, of course I thought this was excellent finally i'd be gettin it (if you know where the way in is thats where i was standing). So I come home, check the eircom site to see if I'm able to get broadband, the fail result comes up. So I'm wonderin why the hell its happenin like this.

I go out take a look around the front of our house and theres a feckin eircom manhole thing right outside our house. Initially I thought just my luck, just that smal lbit outta range but do those manhole thingy's really make a difference?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Agent7249
    , saw some eircom people workin on one of those manholes, supposedly making broadband enabled for the area:

what makes you think that this is what they were doing?
    jd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    To where? Via who's network? For how much?

Afair thegills has said previously that there are fibre links from ESBT, eircom and esat into the limerick MAN NOC. I think there were others aswell, but I can't remember who.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by Moriarty
    Afair thegills has said previously that there are fibre links from ESBT, eircom and esat into the limerick MAN NOC. I think there were others aswell, but I can't remember who.

I assume then that limerick is the first county to get their MAN switched on?

In carlow here they have laid all the fibre etc, has anyone got any resource where we can see the status of the projects?

Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Originally posted by flamegrill
    I assume then that limerick is the first county to get their MAN switched on?

In carlow here they have laid all the fibre etc, has anyone got any resource where we can see the status of the projects?

Paul

Actually the galway man was switched on a day or two before the other one,saw something in the local rag about it.

Most of the MAN Launches are political stunts. Fibre on the Limerick MAN was tested weeks ago and some OLO's have already made enquiries about leasing fibre. All we need is for the MSE to be announced and then things will start to happen.
    There are fibre links from ESBT, eircom and esat into the limerick MAN NOC
    Yes this is the case in part. Chambers on the Limerick MAN are located beside chambers on these networks as well as Chorus and MCI PoPs and the WDC. The MSE will need to physically connect the networks together.

thegills

Advertisement