Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dabs.com foul up - please help

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by ballooba
    Not sure about the reasons given above but the use of the term Eire is offensive to a lot of Irish people.

What the f*ck? Since when is the Irish for Ireland offensive to Irish people? Talk about nit picking, cop on to yourself :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jwall

Sorry, we will use Republic of Ireland in future and also I will change our Website accordingly as well. Thanks for pointing out and no offence intended.

Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Originally posted by eth0_
    What the f*ck? Since when is the Irish for Ireland offensive to Irish people? Talk about nit picking, cop on to yourself :-/

I'm not sure about the reaons. My auld lad explained it to me one day and i think it had something vaguely to do with that stamp lark and also Dev ('alera' not 'ore').

I'll ask him when I see him and post it up here.

[edit]http://www.brainyencyclopedia.com/encyclopedia/e/ei/eire.html
    I apologise (especially to jwall) for bringing politics into this board.

I knew there was a reason though, mostly offensive to older people.
    [/edit]

I knew there was a reason though, mostly offensive to older people.
    [/edit]

It's mostly old people and shinners that I hear calling Ireland "Eire" :OP

I never said it was offensive to me and i'm definitely not a Shinner.

The Shinners are probably using it as it was originally intended i.e. to describe the 32 counties.

• Advertisement

Just read the reg article:
    "When Porter contacted Dabs.com to find out when the two missing items would be delivered, he was stunned to find that the items had been wrongly priced and the etailer wanted the full purchase price - £1,353 - or the goods back"

"he was stunned to find.." hahahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I never said it was offensive to me and i'm definitely not a Shinner.

The Shinners are probably using it as it was originally intended i.e. to describe the 32 counties.
    It's only offensive if you're 80-odd years old. Éire was kind of a term used by the British as a sneer against the Irish. A kind of "we still own you, Éire is just a dream" thing.

You'd be extremely hard-pressed to find anyone who doesn't think that Éire is an acceptable, proud term for Ireland.

I would think some people would put it in the same basket as british visitors to here referring to back home as 'the mainland'.

That one really wrecks heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by jwall
    Sorry, we will use Republic of Ireland in future and also I will change our Website accordingly as well. Thanks for pointing out and no offence intended.

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan .

M

Originally posted by jwall

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathon.

I'm not really that sensitive but some people are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Guys

Please keep this on topic.... I'd be happy to have this island called Vexland ( republic of or free state of - delete one or both if it takes your fancy) if the package can get to me quickly and get to me at a reasonable price.

regards

Vex

ps. I would not like the name Muckland for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Jeez give the guy a break most uk people refer to ireland as eire, no offence is intended

Glad to see a solution to this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

jwall

I have shipped many items over to the UK myself. The rates charged by dabs are certainly more expensive than I would pay myself to ship goods across the Irish Sea.

Now if Dabs can't get some sort of volume reduction on the rates that I pay there is something wrong going on.

If Dabs only charged people cost on shipping to Ireland people would be a lot happier. Other UK based online retailers can do it cheaper, why can't Dabs? Do Dabs realy need to make a profit on shipping?

I have never bought anything from Dabs, solely because of the shipping costs...I am sure a lot of people here are of the same mindset...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by The Brigadier
    have never bought anything from Dabs, solely because of the shipping costs...I am sure a lot of people here are of the same mindset...
    I too would buy stuff off dabs if their shipping to the holy republic was cheaper. I would be even more inclined to purchase from them if they had a commercial interaction board on boards.ie like Komplett and Elara do...

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

Cheers for all the helpful posts & info lads. As Jonathan has pointed we have reached an amicable agreement and have agreed to ship back the port replicators. Since Jonathan involvement, the situation has been exceptionally well handled and for this he must be credited. Dabs have in the past been good suppliers to us and this will now continue. On a lighter note, the missing pda was credited back to us a whopping 11p but such is life.

All the best

|Chief|

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

/me thinks this thread was designed to increase dabs profile :D

Advertisement