Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cooling Fins Oxidisation On Bike

Options
  • 04-06-2004 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have recommendations on cleaning the cooling fins on a Honda Shadow 750 ?

They appear to be alumininium so not rusted , but have what is best described as osidization, ie the metal has white spots on it.

Autosol isn't much use for cleaning hard to reach parts, i was wondering if there is a spray or tool that could be used for the job ?

The area of the bike i'm referring to is shown on this pic - below the tank (sorry closest i could find on google)

mc-honda-99-vt750c-shadow-fram.gif

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I suggest just a dry cloth - have you exposed it to salt water at any stage? If so, rise with cold water and dry thoroughly.

Re-inspect in a few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I just bought it, just feel that with a bit of tlc it could be cleaned up more.
    TBH dont think that just a cloth wil be enough , my old Virago had a lot of these kind os spots and never did figure out a way to clean them off, though never asked the wise ppl of boards how to clean it (Rymus..i'm looking at you!!)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

err... my drag star used to have all that kinda crap on the fins & a bit on the forks. I never really firgured out how to shift it. Scrubbed and scraped with a few different things for ages but never completely shifted it. If I remember correctly, i used metal polish on it, good old soap & water, motor detergent & a partridge in a pear tree.

Now that I think of it, when I was selling the bike the fins werent too bad because I attacked them one day with detergent, an old toothbrush & one of those dish scrubbing things. I never managed to sort out the crusty mess on the forks. I'd say get yourself some of that autoglym motorcycle cleaner spray, a small scubbing brush or old toothbrush and spend a day scrubbing the bejesus out of it. I'd say that's the most cost effective way to clean it up. Short of getting the fins chromed :D

Rejoice! You now have something constructive to do over the long weekend :D

Advertisement