Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catcher In the Rye relating to Farewell to Arms

Options
  • 04-06-2004 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

anybody notice any significance in holden caulfields remarks about the main character in Hemmingways "A Farewell To Arms", holden is told to read the book by his brother whos working in hollywood and who loves it Holden calls the character(forget his name now although the book might be considered semi-biographical) a phonie, I feel pretty strongly that this character/hemmingway is about as far from a phonie as you can get and it strikes me as very strange that holden feels this way about him.

Know im not being very articulate but i'm not too sure what im talking about and just wondering if anyone else noticed this and what there thoughts were on it.

ps. dont bother replying if u think holden is just insane and his opinions aren't valid .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I haven't read "A farewell to arms" but Hemingway's characters are reputed to be very macho. Maybe this is what annoyed Holden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 tirnigh

u should give it a try its brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Originally posted by tirnigh
    u should give it a try its brilliant

really? i usually like hemingway, but found farewell to be somewhat dull.

Advertisement