Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation2 Online?

Options
  • 04-06-2004 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

Excuse my total ignorance on the subject but now that I've got IOL BB can I play PS2 online? I've tried googling but came up with nothing. Can anyone fill me in on this, bearing in mind I know nothing about PS2's!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

yes you can but first you need to buy the 'Playstation 2 Network Adapter' which I got for €29.99 from Smyths.

you should check out the offical platstation site at www.playstation.ie and look at the 'Network Gaming' section or goto the forums there for more help

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by DrEvil
    yes you can but first you need to buy the 'Playstation 2 Network Adapter' which I got for €29.99 from Smyths.

you should check out the offical platstation site at www.playstation.ie and look at the 'Network Gaming' section or goto the forums there for more help

I was rather hoping I wouldn't have to buy anything :) I'll give it a looksie. How does it play, any recommendations on some good networking games?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

i hear socom 2 was supposed to be good?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Ghost Recon Jungle Storm is great and its v.cheap at the mo

If anyone wants to meet up for some headset socom 1 / jungle storm gaming pm me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Are you sure you can play on IOL, as i thought that they only supported play thru an xbox..

Edit::Thought so got this from io faq on the site:
    Question
    Is IOL Broadband compatible with Playstation 2 or X-Box?
    Answer
    You can use IOl Broadband with X-Box to play online games.
    Currently this service is not available with Playstation 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I have IOL BB and I use it with my PS2. I go online with the pc and have the connection shared - then I just connect the pc and ps2 with a crossover cable...SOCOM is cool so is Tony Hawk - you can play all the capture 2 player games online with up to 8 people(I think its 8) so there's loads of people flying around the place - great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭conorgriff

Hey I'm using iol and I wanna connect the ps2 also, what kind of cable are you using to connect the ps2 and the pc? Also, are you using the network adapter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    I was rather hoping I wouldn't have to buy anything :) I'll give it a looksie. How does it play, any recommendations on some good networking games?
    Sure, you need the adapter for online play. You don't have to pay per month like xbox live. Although I heard of a few mmorpg games introducing fees.

Meh, this whole episode is turning into a smelly turd the more I research into it.

Checked out the prices of one of those network adapter do-hickeys. €45 beans, pricey for something that should have been standard on the PS2 for a start. I also noticed that Twisted Metal Black now supported network play. Fantastic I thought! Having bought that about a year ago and enjoying it immensely, despite the game's 1-Player mode been crippled by having all the video cut out, thus making the story mode pointless. It was ok though, because with network play, that little let down would be made up for. Well no, this isn't the case at all. My already purposely crippled copy was crippled further by the fact that Sony lacked the foresight to include the network option in it. So I can either buy another crippled copy of the game I already own, or, alternatively, I could just not bother.

yeah i think the whole console gaming thing has gone the way of the pear, there is not enough support and lets face it, they can't match the pc games for graphics and participation, I've played socom in 1 player and good as it is being able to shout commands at the computer to have them mishear what you said and blow your cover at least you only have yourself to blame, so I'll ramble on now for half an hour like the sales assistant did in hmv when i asked him about connecting up...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by conorgriff
    yeah i think the whole console gaming thing has gone the way of the pear, there is not enough support and lets face it, they can't match the pc games for graphics and participation, I've played socom in 1 player and good as it is being able to shout commands at the computer to have them mishear what you said and blow your cover at least you only have yourself to blame, so I'll ramble on now for half an hour like the sales assistant did in hmv when i asked him about connecting up...

X-Box Live isn't too bad at all, I have only limited experience mucking about with it though. PS2 Online is supported by all of 12 games, most of them rubbish and no fun to play online anyway.

Maybe I lack the enthusiasm for video games these days so don't let my negativity get in the way of a possibly fantastic PS2 online experience.

well I'd imagine halo would be good craic online but I've never played xbox live and the whole subscription thing sucks, as if you don't spend enough money buying consoles, games and then paying for your dsl rental on top of electricity and everything else it takes to get you playing a game, it's taking the proverbial pi$$ i think

well I'd imagine halo would be good craic online but I've never played xbox live and the whole subscription thing sucks, as if you don't spend enough money buying consoles, games and then paying for your dsl rental on top of electricity and everything else it takes to get you playing a game, it's taking the proverbial pi$$ i think

Eircom line rental? ;)

Exactly! :(

I can see gaming on xbox live as being infinitely more immersive due to all the games having voice communication. On the other hand though, it could be just full of little kids calling each other f*ggots.

I havn't played xbox live yet, but from what Iv'e heard it's meant to be quite terrific. I don't think it's that dear at all (If you get an annual subscription it only works out to be 5 euros a month) compared to what you have to pay for most mmorpgs on the PC (10 euros a month for each game) . All xbox have to do now is release a crap load of these type of games and their sailing.

The thing I hate though about consoles is that you have to use thumbsticks for first person shooters, which wrecks the whole experience. I wish xbox brought out a keyboard and mouse for their games but I'm guessing it was to prevent people droning on even further that it's just a PC in a box.
    Originally posted by yawnstretch
    Ghost Recon Jungle Storm is great and its v.cheap at the mo

If anyone wants to meet up for some headset socom 1 / jungle storm gaming pm me!

How clear is the voice commuication on the ps2??

Can anybody tell me what it's like on the xbox? Are most of the people just giving each other crap?

ps2 Headset=clear as a bell! - as good if not better than landline phone.

I got my adaptor from game for 15 yoyos: get the pack with twisted metal (currently 29.99) and return twisted metal (15 back on a game like junglestorm).

Ps2 online has way less people (ie a couple of thousand dedicated gamers as opposed to the millions of xbox live users) and i only came across one kid in jungle storm - it was all lads in their twenties.

Its only a pity more Irish people dont use it - Im like the only person i know who realises it even works here - I didnt have to use my pc to set it up either but I have a router which is handy cos you just stick the cable (which comes with the adaptor and is a standard network cable) straight in.

Any more qs ill be happy to answer - seriously though 15 quid for one piece of hardware is a sh1t lot better than xbox bloody yearly fees - i hate any kind of fees and will never give in to monthly gaming fees - NEVER!!!

Yeah, they should advertise over here for the ps2 online service. They probably havn't yet, because there's not enough support yet. I think because it's free also, they probably seem less inclined to bother about advertising it (they will though when the mmorppgs come onto the shelves).

The only advertising Iv'e seen was a brochure in wh smiths.

It's good that ps2 online is free, but I can see a lot of greedy developers forcing fees on to the public. With xbox live, if the developers were getting a cut of the online service for a particular mmorpg game, well then it would stop the developers asking for fees. This isn't the case at the moment, so even on xbox live we can see the public paying even extra for some games.

Is there any mmorpg games out yet for the ps2 online service???
    With voice communication??????????:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Originally posted by yawnstretch

Ps2 online has way less people (ie a couple of thousand dedicated gamers as opposed to the millions of xbox live users) and i only came across one kid in jungle storm - it was all lads in their twenties.

Its only a pity more Irish people dont use it - Im like the only person i know who realises it even works here - I didnt have to use my pc to set it up either but I have a router which is handy cos you just stick the cable (which comes with the adaptor and is a standard network cable) straight in.

Had it online since August :) LOL, mines better than yours! :D Hahahaha! Still using ICS tho, which induces lag when the PC is under strain, and can result in disconnections. :(
    Got a d-link dsl-504t to rectify this. After 20 hours fighting with it and their non-english speaking uk-based tech support I am told it doesnt work with PS2 at the minute (still blocks port443 i think it was, even when in DMZ zone), they are working on a firmware update apparently. Bought it off a bloke on Boards so can't return for a model that works with PS2! :) Oh well, guess I gotta wait!

In the SOCOM games you actually notice a fair few players with irish references in their names, and hear some strong Dub accents ;)

Personally I think that MMORPGs might as well be played on PCs - but Im not a MMORPG player so maybe im wrong.

The problem with ps2 online games is that there arent many. There are about 20 that I know of in Ireland and about 4 or 5 of those are sports/football titles which dont interest me.

Whatever you do though, return twisted metal ASAP as it is pure rubbish and not indicative of the Ps2 online experience overall.

I dont know why they dont advertise it - there is no support problem - it all works fine. Then again Ireland doesnt have a monstrous broadband population so maybe sony don't want to spend big money until we do...

Originally posted by Einstürzende
    Got a d-link dsl-504t to rectify this. After 20 hours fighting with it and their non-english speaking uk-based tech support I am told it doesnt work with PS2 at the minute (still blocks port443 i think it was, even when in DMZ zone), they are working on a firmware update apparently. Bought it off a bloke on Boards so can't return for a model that works with PS2! :) Oh well, guess I gotta wait!

In the SOCOM games you actually notice a fair few players with irish references in their names, and hear some strong Dub accents ;)

I've a linksys router here (four of us milking the one broadband connection - MUAHAahahaha) and I've heard there are a few Irish Socom players too - they must be mostly playin socom II though (which I dont have)...

Do you have Ghost Recon?

• Advertisement

I dont know why they dont advertise it - there is no support problem - it all works fine. Then again Ireland doesnt have a monstrous broadband population so maybe sony don't want to spend big money until we do...

It's actually still not 'officially' released here yet even though it is available and has been since around november afaik. It should be offical sometime this summer i.e. they will start advertising and pushing it.

There's actually alot more irish people online with their ps2s than people realise and it's growing all the time.
    I'd say when GT4 is out there be loads of people going online

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It's actually still not 'officially' released here yet even though it is available and has been since around november afaik. It should be offical sometime this summer i.e. they will start advertising and pushing it.

It is been pushed/advertised game by game here* (when the game supports the service), their is info on the PlayStation.ie website, and I found leaflets in at least one high street retailer.

Although, as you said, SCEI may have a “real launch” once a game like GT4 comes around.

Microsoft are promising a massive – never seen before for a computer game – type backing worldwide for Halo 2, I’d imagine they’ll point heavily towards Live multiplayer.

* it is possable that I could just be watching too much UK tv.

Has anyone got their PIN for Central Station sent out yet? I've been waiting 2 months for it

Splinter Cell: Pandora tomorrow is out and multiplayer is great anybody tried it online?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I played it online - thought it was a bit crap but SC isn't my thing. Syphon Filter : The Omega Strain is cool online thou...

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

I remember playing my dreamcast online ages ago. It was a laugh but it was fairly slow with the ****ty 56k modem.

They should really release a keyboard and mouse on the xbox, especially seeing as Doom 3 is going to be released on it. Id imagine it would be a pain in the hole to play with a controller.

Yeah, deus ex 2 is a joke with a controller. It's impossible to get the sensitivity right on it. It's either too sensitive for picking up individual items or not enough for action sequences.

Advertisement