Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modding Tools

Options
  • 04-06-2004 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Hey all, was planning on making some fan holes and possably a window on one of my cases. What tools would you recommend to do this? I was thinking blowtorch but that might be a bit overkill.

Thanks for any help,
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Use a dremel, apparently its what everyone uses for cutting holes and the like in their case.

dremel.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Draper and other companies do a cheaper version of this and have pretty much all the accesories with it aswell........... have a look!!

Think round ~€30 - 40. There very handy for doing any of those jobs and also drilling in awkward palces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    Draper and other companies do a cheaper version of this and have pretty much all the accesories with it aswell........... have a look!!

Think round ~€30 - 40. There very handy for doing any of those jobs and also drilling in awkward palces.

Maplin have had them on their "special offer" flyers a few times this year, they seem to be fairly good quality and lots of accessories (I think they're separate though - maybe another €15-€20)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

thanks for the help, will get my hands on one of them soon, may be up in dublin within the next 3 weeks and will hold out till then :) thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Dremels aren't ideal for making circular cuts, it takes time and patience (and probably a few cutting discs) and then needs filing for a smooth edge. It's ok for making a side window, since that usually involves mostly straight cuts, but circular holes are really awkward with a straight cutting edge.
    After taking half a day to dremel one 80mm blowhole, I went and bought a bench drill. It's perfect for making clean-cut fanholes in seconds. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pyrogenx

Well rob, whats the crack?

I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of ur case ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Over the weekend i have been using my dremel and 20 cutting disk to cut the case, takes a bit of time but if you do a decent job it is worth it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I got a dremel style tool in B&Q... came with stand, flexible extension and a 150 bits... Came to €40/50. Well worth it...

For cutting circles get a decent jigsaw and proper blades and its easy, us the dremel to finish it off. The dremels take ages to cut through metal and eat up cutting disks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

havn't gotten around to cutting the case yet, will take before and after pics. gonna get my hands on a small blowtorch, have a drill and jigsaw, sander and may buy a dremel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Originally posted by BoB_BoT
    . gonna get my hands on a small blowtorch

what are you planning on doing :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

anyone know a good clamp and table ???

where could i get my hands on one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

What you need to make holes is a "hole saw"

It is shaped like an inverted ashtray with angry cutting teeth.

They cut wood, plastic, metal, etc.....

but BEWARE

use a bench press with them.
    I bought a 123mm holesaw today and attempted a trial cut on a sheet of wood.

I foolishly used a (weak) 500watt drill.
    initally the thing jumped up off the wood nearly breaking my arm with
    the turning force.

the drill simply was not able to run the saw, soon blue smoke
    began venting from the drill. The drill still works but I would say
    a couple of years were taken off its lifespan after that event. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Originally posted by Shiny
    What you need to make holes is a "hole saw"

It is shaped like an inverted ashtray with angry cutting teeth.

They cut wood, plastic, metal, etc.....

but BEWARE

use a bench press with them.
    I bought a 123mm holesaw today and attempted a trial cut on a sheet of wood.

I foolishly used a (weak) 500watt drill.
    initally the thing jumped up off the wood nearly breaking my arm with
    the turning force.

the drill simply was not able to run the saw, soon blue smoke
    began venting from the drill. The drill still works but I would say
    a couple of years were taken off its lifespan after that event. :rolleyes:
    Where did you get the bit? I'm looking for a metal bit that size, I have a set from 19-82mm and a 3.5/8" (92mm) bit.
    Is yours a wood bit? or did you use a metal bit on wood?

Advertisement