Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time taken to recieve broadband...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Let me tell you both something. You are not alone:

>Many thanks for your email. Unfortunately it appears your application
    >did not filter through to us for processing. Our IT department have
    >retrieved the application. The current lead times of 12 days for home
    >phone and up to 20 days for broadband would apply.
    >
    >Could you please advise if you wish to proceed with the application.
    >
    >Kind Regards,
    >Melissa
    >Residential Sales
    >Administration
    >sales@iol.ie
    >1800-923-923
    >Esat BT

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bmurphy8177

I rang iol this morning and still they could not find my application.
    I was told that someone would ring me back before lunch.

No phone call before lunch so i rang them again. Same thing no sign of my application and someone said they would look it into it and get back to me.

Fifteen minutes later i get a phone call to say that there is no sign or trace of my application "anywhere" on their system. The guy on the phone said that they are getting so many applications its hard to keep track and that whoever dealt with my particular application could have just written my details on a blank sheet of paper and that it just did not go through for processing.

He asked if i would like to make another application. Needless to say i declined the offer.

My advice to all other potential broadband applicants: "STAY AWAY FROM IOL".

Thanks for all your feedback guys on this issue, very much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

I wonder does it make a difference if you apply for broadband online or over the phone (IOL that is)? At least with online there should be a record of your application.

I applied on-line on Tuesday (15th), got the standard email replies. Then I sent a seperate email to ask if my Netsmart account will be de-activated when broadband is set up.

I got the following email reply yesterday (16th) to confirm that this will be the case.

Good Afternoon Adrian,

Many thanks for your email. I can confirm that your Netsmart service will be
    cancelled once the broadband service is active.

For help with further queries in relation to our products please visit our
    improved website and find answers to your questions Right Now at
    http://bt-esat.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt_esat.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php.

Kind Regards,
    Melissa
    Residential Sales
    Administration
    sales@iol.ie
    1800-923-923
    Esat BT

(Mind you I would take this ease-of-changeover with a large pince of salt)

Is that web-link a new development?

Note: same person replying ('Melissa' as on previous post) - maybe they only have one customer service rep??

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Well after yer replies i rang up today and was informed my order is alive this time but no live date yet from eircom...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

AS with other people I ordered two weeks ago and recevied the reply stating that my line would be active by the 23rd June. But rather than wait I have plugged in a DSL modem and lo and behold it works. Only snag is I cannot log in!!

So near and yet so far..........

Am going to ring them in the morning and chase it up. Don't know why they can't tell people as soon as the line is active??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Originally posted by cerbeus
    AS with other people I ordered two weeks ago and recevied the reply stating that my line would be active by the 23rd June. But rather than wait I have plugged in a DSL modem and lo and behold it works. Only snag is I cannot log in!!

So near and yet so far..........

Am going to ring them in the morning and chase it up. Don't know why they can't tell people as soon as the line is active??

when trying to log in just use the the username:address you gave when you ordered? or is it sumthing else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Update

1) UTV
    2) May 18th
    3) June 17th
    4) June 18th or 21st

I've tried using the username/password that I inputted when I signed up on line and still get denied. The account may not be active. I'm going to ring them and see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pbarry

- Eircom
    - Ordered on line 3rd June
    - recieved wireless modem on 16th June
    - Line was supposedly "Activated by Eircom" but it still doesn't work yet!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭bob11

Eircom WLAN broadband modem

Ordered 01/06/2004
    Received 15/06/2004

plugged in modem with filter,
    turned on laptop with existing Wlan Card, l
    logged into router,
    using default username and password, logged on and amazingly it worked first time, on line within 15 mins !!

checked speed on www.toast.net/performance and got
    Your throughput: 364* K

Not bad, since then I have turned on WEP authentication and MAC address checking

The Netopia wireless router supplied also has 3 fixed LAN ports , great value for 49.99 !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

1) Digiweb business package
    2) Ordered online, Monday 14/06
    3) Activated Thursday 17/06
    4) Modem arrived Friday 18/06

Edit: modem arrived today, all up and working, good speed, very happy indeed. Based on what I've seen so far, definetely reccomending DigiWeb to all and sundry...

1) IOLBB
    2) 1st June
    3) 18th June (joy!) activated after I convinced them the line was enabled.
    4) Modem arrives tomorrow (Mon 21st) I had borrowed a DSL modem from a friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

1) utv
    2) sept 03
    3) jan03
    4) 3 months

i had problems because i ordered eircon, then found out about utv so i cancelled eircon before it arrived and ordered utv. eircon went ahead and took the line for themselves and wouldn't realise it

Same with me, except between IOL and Eircom. Eircom being the eejits who wouldn't release us.Ordered it in september, got it in march.Half a Year, of eircom telling us that we were released but IOL telling us that we were still tied in with eircom.It was worth it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭jlynch

Ordered IOL fri 28th may
    Received fri 18th June

They said it would take 15 working days and it did.
    Think the dsl filter is faulty though....a lot of interference on the phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭maddog

woke up this morning and there's a letter from Esatbt saying there giving me 3 months free and I'd have my modem later on in the day... and it arrived today and now i'm connected...at long F***ing last.

Regards,
    Maddog.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭huge

im new to all this broadband and there was one thing i am unsure of when people said for example i got a 16gb package what does that mean exactly i know all about space gigabytes but what does a 16gb package mean thanx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Originally posted by huge
    im new to all this broadband and there was one thing i am unsure of when people said for example i got a 16gb package what does that mean exactly i know all about space gigabytes but what does a 16gb package mean thanx

A qoute from IOL site
    Is there going to be a data transfer limit? You are entitled to free transfer of up to 8-16 Gigabytes of data in any given month.

The 16gb is your download cap. What that means exactly is, the 16gb is how much that your allowed to download per month. Everthing you download adds to this as well as playin games online etc.. And if you go over this you will be charged 3cent/mb though i havent heard of any1 bein charged extra yet.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭istep

Applied esatbt Friday 11th June

Nothing yet am wondering looking at this will I be waiting ... I was thinking that maybe the dell rule would apply you know the one order on friday online site says 10 working days ...... ring the following friday just to check status told it will DEFINETLY be another 5 days ... computer arrives that afternoon apparently unbeknownest to dell god bless em!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭huge

Originally posted by balkieb2002
    A qoute from IOL site

The 16gb is your download cap. What that means exactly is, the 16gb is how much that your allowed to download per month. Everthing you download adds to this as well as playin games online etc.. And if you go over this you will be charged 3cent/mb though i havent heard of any1 bein charged extra yet.

Hope this helps.

thanks anyway why is there a limit are they using this as just another way of making money and i wud never go over 16gb a month 2gb tops for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭istep

just got word from esatbt that my go live day is 12 july ( applied on 11 June ) so not quite 15 working days as promised then. Don't know if the hold up is esat or eircon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Existing Netsource Customer
    Moved to new address 3rd June - spent two weeks waffling with Eircon trying to get the new ph number in my name.

Finally ordered line activation last Thurs 17th June
    Line was activated today 23rd June.

Yay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Update on my IOL debacle

I applied originally online on the 6th of June, it was during the weekend. I didn't expect any word until maybe late the next week.

2 automated email replies were sent that same day...

No calls or letters at all came the next week

On the 14th of June I email sales about the lack of response and got the following:
    Many thanks for your email. Unfortunately it appears your application did
    not filter through to us for processing. Our IT department have retrieved
    the application. The current lead times of 12 days for home phone and up to
    20 days for broadband would apply.

Could you please advise if you wish to proceed with the application.

So I immediately replied and said hell yea, go ahead. On the 16th of June, I got the following response:
    Please be advised your application is now in process.

For help with further queries in relation to our products please visit our
    improved website and find answers to your questions Right Now at
    http://bt-esat.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt_esat.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php.

Today (23rd of June) I got a letter saying that from receit of this letter ~ 20 working days wait for BB.

Also today I rang up Customer Service at Esat and I got an extremely helpful lad who tried to explain the situation. Nevertheless when he called back he was only able to offer a live date for BB to be in and around the 28th of July.

Whenever eircom get around to hooking it up, I suppose.

What's a bit annoying is I originally applied roughly 5days after a friend of mine applied for the eircom package. They've now been connected for a week.

I originally got a date of the 23rd June. Being the impatient person I am, I borrowed a DSL modem off a friend and tested the line myself last week. Found the line active so I emailed IOL and they activated the account last Friday.

If you know any one with a DSL modem give it a try that way you can rule out Eircom as the ones holding it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by cerbeus
    If you know any one with a DSL modem give it a try that way you can rule out Eircom as the ones holding it up!
    Quite the opposite - if eircom activate the line, but don't notify IOL about it for a week or two, then the delay is very definitely eircoms fault, not IOLs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

It's well worth setting up while you're waiting for line activation. The green light on my modem stopped flashing the other day - if I was waiting to get the all clear from eircom/isp i'd still be waiting now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭skibum

Update regarding my post 14-06-04

1) IOLBB
    (2) May 31, By phone,
    (3) june 25
    (4) june 25

Got the modem at 10am, hooked up and surfing 10.25am :):)

Considering I was told it would be the 24th June, then changed to 30th June, I am now a happy camper!!

Download speeds 44 - 50kbs, :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

1) IOLBB

2) Ordered online 15th June

3) Line active today 25th June - only checked after modem was installed

4) Modem arrived today (25th)

Pretty good experience so far.... got modem by courier this morning, plugged in modem when I came home from work, didnt really expect everything to work but lo and behold! I'm online straightaway....

No activation request or confirmation needed apparently.

Only 10 days from ordering to full steam ahead.

I am impressed.

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Revoque

1) utv
    2)Ordered online Monday 21 June
    3)Thursday 24 June
    4)Thursday 24 June-Surfing in 10 mins

Im a happy camper:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You had broadband setup in 3 days :confused:

Ordered myself June 15th, they said 10 working days, so far I'm waiting almost that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Stark

1) UTV
    2) Ordered Online June 15th
    3) Expected setup date June 29th
    4) Got e-mail saying line activated today June 28th, will get modem &filters tomorrow/wednesday.

Advertisement