Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland V Holland (preview/scores/review)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    I assume he had a few drinks.:D Anyway, to put it in plain English, Barrett and Reid need to be playing in the premiership. Its great to see a local lad like Quinn do well. The pub where his family live had huge queue's to get in.
    ah lol, thanks for that. He must have had a few drinks alright :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I just heard on Eurosport that Holland have never been beaten in the Amsterdam ArenA before tonight. They have been playing there 8 years and played against the likes of Brazil, Argentina, Czech Republic, England and Germany. We have a habit of breaking records under Kerr.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I have a feeling we'll go very far in the WC if this form continues on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭JippoKelly

A great result reagrdless of how poor the Netherlands might have been.

Quinn really impressed me today. His workrate was excellent and as has been mentioned before he's quick as well.

I was really impressed with the way the team used the ball today. The passing was by in large crisp and purposeful. Ireland genuinely looked the more dangerous side in possession. Reid and Barrett are v. good on the ball and they both played excellent today. Kenny was heroic as usual. He seems to be like wine, he's getting better with age. If only he had more pace.

That's a great win for Kerr and his players. Considering the withdrawals/injuries and the result against Nigeria, Ireland could easily have folded. But they've turned around and won 2 games in a row and beaten a strong Holland side in the process.

It really has proved a useful two weeks for Kerr. He facilitated Keane's return and Miller's first start. He also capped McGeady to ensure his future is in an Irish shirt. And he has bled in some 'fringe' players that look very promising - Quinn, Barrett, Reid. And he also became the 1st man to manage a team to victory against Holland at the Amsterdam ArenA. Not a bad two weeks at all. It's just a pity Morrison couldn't have gotten a goal. He's worked his ass off and his work-rate deserved a goal even if his finishing did not. I think he just needs a goal or two to restore some confidence in his scoring ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    I just heard on Eurosport that Holland have never been beaten in the Amsterdam ArenA before tonight. They have been playing there 8 years and played against the likes of Brazil, Argentina, Czech Republic, England and Germany. We have a habit of breaking records under Kerr.:)

Irelands last results against those countries : Brazil 0-0 , Argentina 2-2 (I think back in 98 ) , Czech Republic 1-2 , England 0-1 (before match being postponed ) , Germany 1-1 . It seems we are every bit as good as those teams ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by Big Ears
    Irelands last results against those countries : Argentina 2-2 (I think back in 98 ) ,

Try 2-0 to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I can't believe people here want O'Brien dropped!!!

I mean he's a regular in a premiership side that finished 5th, himself and Given have a great understanding from been in the same side every week.

I mean look at the options!! Breen, Dunne and Ginger Pele:confused: Please I mean none of those players are better than O'Brien. Doherty might have a bit more of a presence in the air, but he's all at sea when faced with pace and in case anyone mentions O'Shea, he's a left back not a Center Half.

The team I think is Irelands possible strongest side looks like:

______________Given______________

_Carr___O'Brien__Cunningham___O'Shea

_Barrett____Keane____Holland__Duff

________Keane_Morrison?____

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by irish1
    Doherty... but he's all at sea when faced with pace

I'll have to correct you on that.

He's all at sea when faced with a football...;)

Originally posted by Big Ears
    Irelands last results against those countries : Brazil 0-0 , Argentina 2-2 (I think back in 98 ) , Czech Republic 1-2 , England 0-1 (before match being postponed ) , Germany 1-1 . It seems we are every bit as good as those teams ;)
    Yeah but we usually lose against the teams we'd expect to beat, Switzerland, Nigeria, Scotland, N.Ireland. Holland went 8 years without defeat.
    The team I think is Irelands possible strongest side looks like:

______________Given______________

_Carr___O'Brien__Cunningham___O'Shea

_Barrett____Keane____Holland__Duff

________Keane_Morrison?____
    Take Holland out and replace him with just about any Irish midfielder and that would be our strongest. Barrett can't be in there based on two good perfomances, he can't get his game for Coventry (he only started 9 matches) so that wouldn't say a lot for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Anyone know where I might get a look at the goal? Or even a replay of the match? I couldn't get to watch it. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I can't imagine how you would even consider replacing O Brien!

He is the first choice centre back for the 5th team in the premiership, he is fast, makes the right tackles at the right time, and has an amazing record!!!

Where can you fault him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Last night in the Amsterdam ArenA, a raw Irish side made some bold promises for their future. A dazzling display of football by Brian Kerr's side, an outstanding goal from Robbie Keane and a characteristic defensive performance brought victory in Amsterdam and ruined Holland's send-off for the European Championships.

When the Dutch team came on to the pitch for a farewell lap of honour after the game, they were booed by their fans who had watched as they were outplayed by this energetic Irish side which is being moulded into true contenders by Kerr.

With a number of players, namely Roy Keane and Damien Duff, to return in the autumn, Kerr now has a group of players with which he can approach the World Cup qualifiers with confidence.

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Originally posted by jolly
    3 times you in as many hours you have opined that Robbie needs a bigger club. Crap. Given his transfers - Wolves, Coventry, Inter Milan, Leeds, Spurs - and that he is not 24 yet , the most important thing for him is to stay at a single club and get some stability.

Beat me to it, Jolly. I wanted to say that.

People say the same rubbish about Given.

What is this diseased mania that some people have which says that you're nothing unless you're spending half your time warming the bench at some globalised monstrosity like United or Arsenal or some shell company used as a laundry for dirty money like Chelsea.

Wake up and smell the coffee, people. Who won the Champions League this year? A team derided by some of the UK press as 'country cousins'.

Yeah right. Culchies with a trophy. Hate tha'.

Stay where you are Robbie. Don't move to a bigger club. Just make Spurs a bigger club.

HH

PS Neutral on the whole club scene.

Originally posted by The Clown Man
    Anyone know where I might get a look at the goal?
    You probably saw it by now but here it is so you can watch it over and over again:
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~gearoidw01/keanegoal.avi :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Thats some goal alright gets better every time you see it

i hope robbie learns from this that hes well able to take the shot instead of always doing the "Walk though the defence and around the goaly then into the goal" thing

• Advertisement
Advertisement