Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Linux users here?

• 05-06-2004 7:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I signed up for IOL's 3 months free broadband deal on the 26th of May (yet to get my modem yet.). I've got RedHat 9 and kernel 2.4.20 (I'll upgrade when I get me bb!). When I signed up on the phone the woman said that the modem would come with all nessarcy stuff to get the modem working, but normies kinda ignore Linux, so I'm wondering if there are any Linux BB users here and did you have any trouble getting the modem to work? Did you have to download an fancy software? I don't want to spend some of my 90 days trying to get it to work...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

I dont think the ZyXEL modem they supply works on linux, I tried a few months ago, do a few searchs im sure someone developed driver for it. If not get yourself a cheapass comp running windoze set up ICS and connent that way.

Thanks joePC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Not sure which Zyxel modem/router you are using but check http://linuxdrivers.foundries.sourceforge.net/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If it's the Prestige 630 (the blue one which UTV also supply and Eircom do (or used) to supply) then have a gander here. This driver has been around for about 9 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Uh Oh. This doesn't sound good. :( I've been looking on their site (www.iol.ie/broadband) for details of the modem and I can find nothing about what make or model it is. It has very little information on an specifics, mainly how broad band is so freakin' great.
    If not get yourself a cheapass comp running windoze set up ICS and connent that way.
    Urg. I hate windows. :mad: Treats everyone like idiots/little children.
    ZyXEL modem
    Is this definitly the make of modem they use? I can't find anything on their site. I'll start looking around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If it's the Zyxel that UTV provide, there's an article on configuring it on Linux.ie:

http://www.linux.ie/articles/tutorials/zyxel630-11.php

adam

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot dahamsta, hope that is the same one. When the modem comes I'll find out, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Dont use the crappy modem that's supplied by IOL get yourself a router - that way the connection will work no matter what OS you are running. My router has (of course) no prob with Red Hat/Mandrake/Gentoo/Knoppix etc... using DHCP it's all handled automagically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    Dont use the crappy modem that's supplied by IOL get yourself a router
    IOL supply a router, the Prestige 623R-T1.

Syth, it's got an ethernet port and it works fine under Linux.
    I don't know if there are Linux drivers for it if you want to run it via USB though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Originally posted by Syth
    Urg. I hate windows. :mad: Treats everyone like idiots/little children.
    roll-****ing-eyes.

Not everyone is a geek you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Originally posted by Stephen
    roll-****ing-eyes.

Not everyone is a geek you know.
    i wouldn't worry seems like he's over compensating to look geeky imo....(mac user trying to look kool :p )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭tammy

just get yourself a nic that supports linux and you'll have no troulbe. I was expecting to have to spend days getting the bb to run with linux, it took minutes. Maplin were selling a nic for 16 yoyo and it works fine. Don't know the story if you want to use USB but I'd recommend using ethernet on the zytel router supplied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

just use the ethernet port on the ZyXEL thing. the drivers are only for the usb interface. i have the ZyXEL yoke plugged into a switch and all runs fine if you use dhcp.

i wouldn't worry seems like he's over compensating to look geeky imo....
    I'm well geeky excuse me! No need to pretend! :D But I'm not so geeky about hardware. ie I'm not too sure what this whole ethernet thing-a-ma-bob is. Basically I have a laptop. An old laptop. It was made when they were still called laptops. So I'm not sure if I have an ethernet thinge. I know I have a USB. Having a latop means I can't just shove in a new piece of hardware without taking out something else. (I reckon I need my hard drive), so everything has to connect to the outside.

Nearly all laptops have PCMCIA slots. There are plenty of PCMCIA ethernet adaptors available. Most laptops do have ethernet. Check if there is an ethernet port on it somewhere. Should look similar to a regular RJ11 phone jack but slightly wider, usually with indicator leds on the top of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I agree with the above, you don't want a USB cable modem, save the hastle and buy some sort of Ethernet router.

Fortunately NTLs cable modem all come with ethernet ports, which makes it a case of enable DHCP Client, Plug, Play. Works flawlessly with Debian anyway.

Originally posted by Frank Grimes
    IOL supply a router, the Prestige 623R-T1.

Sorry I was thinking of the thing they used to give to new accounts the old Zyxel blue box only had USB - it was a terrible modem:ninja:.

I wouldn't say its terrible. I had one with my UTV setup, its fine for a single user (windows) situation. I replaced it with a router though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Civilian_Target
    I agree with the above, you don't want a USB cable modem, save the hastle and buy some sort of Ethernet router.
    Or you could stop making your decisions based on really old information, and save yourself money by using the ethernet interface on the modem that IOL have been supplying for over 6 months now.

I don't know if there are Linux drivers for it if you want to run it via USB though.
    Do I need to download any drivers for the ethernet connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by Syth
    Do I need to download any drivers for the ethernet connection?
    No, you don't.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Frank Grimes
    No, you don't.
    Nice one. Thank's Grimey. I'll just buy me a PCMCIA <-> ethernet connector and then ring up Esat to find where's me modem and I'm sorted!

OK I've got my modem and it's connect to my PC with the ethernet cable. Some of the lights on the modem are on, and sometimes blink, yet I'm having trouble getting it to work. The instruction booklet that came with it said to put in a URL (192.168.1.1) and you can configure the modem that way, but whenever I try that on firefox, it get 'page can't be found' type errors. How do you set up the modem in Linux? Do you use a web based interface like the booklet says (and if so is there anything else you need to do before hand so you can get the web interface), so is there some other way?

Have you got your network connection set up? first set that up in Linux i.e. gateway is the IP of your modem mask and broadcast should be set up aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Syth I have redhat 9 working online using an ethernet modem on my network hub.

Tis pretty damn easy once you figure out the routing stuff, and redhat even has a handing network configuration script called "netconfig" - run that and setup your machine's network settings.

firstly, run
    ifconfig
    and tell us what you end up with

then run
    netconfig
    with the following info

ipaddress: 192.168.1.10
    netmask: 255.255.255.0
    gateway: 192.168.1.1

once you've done that, run:
    service network restart

and then run ifconfig again and tell us what it says

daniel

Well I ran those command and this is what I got:
    [root@dhcppc0 root]# ifconfig
    lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:106 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:106 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0
              RX bytes:7812 (7.6 Kb)  TX bytes:7812 (7.6 Kb)

[root@dhcppc0 root]# netconfig
    [root@dhcppc0 root]# service network restart
    Shutting down loopback interface:                          [  OK  ]
    Setting network parameters:                                [  OK  ]
    Bringing up loopback interface:                            [  OK  ]
    Bringing up interface eth0:                                [  OK  ]
    [root@dhcppc0 root]# ifconfig
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0D:88:35:3E:6D
              inet addr:192.168.1.10  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:240 (240.0 b)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:106 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:106 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              RX bytes:7812 (7.6 Kb)  TX bytes:7812 (7.6 Kb)

I ran netconfig with the values you gave, there is one thing that's weird though, you said to use
    ipaddress: 192.168.1.10
    Should that 10 be a 1 at the end?

Also I as of yet don't see where I'm supposed to put in my password & username.

I tried all that and I can't get online... yet. :(

Thanks for helping me out.

Well I ran those command and this is what I got:.......
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0D:88:35:3E:6D
    inet addr:192.168.1.10 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

Should that 10 be a 1 at the end?
    Also I as of yet don't see where I'm supposed to put in my password & username.

Well the good news is that you're ALMOST done :)
    The fact that eth0 wasn't showing at first, and then came up with the ip address 192.168.1.10 shows that you can follow instructions well young obewan ;):D

And yeah that's a "10", not a "1" at the end!

Username & Password?
    How are you connected to the internet at the moment? I assume that you have a network work, your windows pc, a separate redhat9 pc, and an ethernet modem? And that you are using dialup to check the boards?
    Could you just clarify that first please?

I'm assuming that the above is true by the way ...
    Your username and password are set on the MODEM, and not on your pc's (either of them). If you follow the instructions that came with the modem it'll tell you how to set it up for a first time connect to the net.

It simply wants you to fire up your webbrowser and go to http://192.168.1.1/ and set up the modem properly. I can't remember the exact steps, but it's all very very straight-forward.
    Once it's setup it will connect automatically (if it's plugged into the phone line! :p) and you'll have broadband!
    Just remember to change your default gateway on your windows pc to 192.168.1.1 as otherwise it won't know where to get the internet from.

Zoro

I assume that you have a network work, your windows pc, a separate redhat9 pc, and an ethernet modem? And that you are using dialup to check the boards?
    Could you just clarify that first please?
    No, just one little laptop running Red hat 9.

Dude, you're the man! It's working! :D Thank the lord of bandwith it's working! I was able to enter that IP into Firefox and she bought up the configration thinge, and it's all working now. :D:D:D Before, when I entered that IP, it wouldn't be able to find the page, but now it work! Feel the speed! :D

You're the man!

(Sorry, if i sound a little excited, but i am)

Hehe :) Glad I could help you out!

The reason that you couldn't access the site before was because
    a) you hadn't setup networking correctly anyway :)
    and b) you would have been on the wrong subnet while trying to access the router's configuration website.

Well done though! It's always a great feeling when you work through a problem like that!

Advertisement