Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

nct query

Options
  • 06-06-2004 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

my car is coming up to the nct in two weeks or so, but i have a query and hopefully someone can shed some light.

it says on their web site that my boot should be clear, now here comes the silly suestion, i have an amp, cd changer and sub in the boot , will that matter?or should i remove them? i wouldnt have thought it mattered, but they are failing cars on next to nothing these days.

thanks
    tom

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

No, they mean that it should be clear of loose stuff, mounted stuff is ok. Obviously they shouldn't obstruct anything important though, like the jack or tool kit.

The bastards caught me once on the middle seatbelt, said it had to be in plain view. Behind the bloody seat it was. Pricks.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

We've had many years experience in Britain of the MoT, our equivalent of your NCT. It seems that in some cases you have to tell the inspectors the rules, especially with any vehicle which is outside of their usual experience.

I was once nearly given a failure for no right-hand outside mirror. As the car had passed several inspections in previous years without it ever being queried, I demanded that he show me where in his rule book it stated that I needed one.

He pointed out a section which required an exterior wing mirror on the driver's side . As the car was left-hand drive and it did have a mirror on that side, I pointed out that he couldn't fail me on that as it had one on the driver's side. Nothing in the book about which side that would be..... Sometimes it's nice to play a picky inspector at his own stupid games! ;)

When we looked down at the bottom of the page, there was an exemption clause anyway which said that no outside mirrors are required on cars before 1977, so as it was a '72 it wouldn't have mattered if the above clause had explicity said right-hand side anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

I had that before. A big sub/amp system mounted on an mdf floor. I had to remove it all, cos he has to be able to lift the carpet to check the spare. And if you make it hard for him, he will fail u for a stupid thing. He will probably refuse to do the car if the boot is full of amps/subs and they affect his work/.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I guess the question you have to ask yourself is, do I feel lucky, punk? Well, do ya?

What I am trying to say in my own inimitable way is, what do you think would be more hassle:

a) removing all the subs etc from your boot, and doing your NCT once and putting them back in.

or

b) not removing them, failing because if, having to remove them, reschedule your NCT, pay for it again, and then put them back in after the 2nd NCT?

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

well the jack and spare are easily accssable, and they are safely mounted, but for easyness sake ill probably take them out, ill leave the wiring in place though as it would be a pain rewiring the whole thing again.

thanks for all youre input! nearly bet my car fails anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by flameboy
    well the jack and spare are easily accssable, and they are safely mounted, but for easyness sake ill probably take them out, ill leave the wiring in place though as it would be a pain rewiring the whole thing again. thanks for all youre input! nearly bet my car fails anyway!
    For having loose wires in the boot?

Advertisement