Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mourinho makes title pledge

• 06-06-2004 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/3780363.stm
    Chelsea's new boss Jose Mourinho says they must believe they can win the Premiership title this season and vowed to achieve the feat within four years...

..."If you give me four years I promise we will win the title," he said.

Thats three years more than Ranieri got. I doubt the fans will wait that long, even if Kenyon and Roman do.

Ah, t'is great to be back hating Chelsea...:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

I think he'll do well in his 1st season but not win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Well that's the beauty of selling your club, like an Ebay lot, to the highest bidder - you no longer have a say. Liverpool fans will find that out soon enough I suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Its irony coming from Jose as he has a 3 year contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Originally posted by therecklessone
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/3780363.stm

Thats three years more than Ranieri got. I doubt the fans will wait that long, even if Kenyon and Roman do.

If he does get 4 years it will be about 6 league games more than Claudio had - not 3 years.

The fans have been waiting for a league title since 1955 - I think they would wait another little while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by SCULLY
    If he does get 4 years it will be about 6 league games more than Claudio had - not 3 years.

The fans have been waiting for a league title since 1955 - I think they would wait another little while.

Well spotted. But Money Bags only appeared last year, yeah? And he gave Ranieri one year to try and win the title, yeah?

So the replacement manager saying he'll win it within four years is a bit rich (pardon the pun ;) ), and I think the fans might just get a little restless before that four years is out if that title hasn't visited Stamford Bridge by then.

Jaysus I hate having to spell it out to come folk...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Abramovich obviously didn't like Ranieri's style of play. Comparing the time Ranieri got with the Mourinho will get is stupid.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Abramovich obviously didn't like Ranieri's style of play. Comparing the time Ranieri got with the Mourinho will get is stupid.

No its not, its perfectly acceptable.

After four years Mourinho's record should speak for itself. If he hasn't won major silverware by then he will have achieved no more than Claudio did. And he'll have spent more money methinks.

As has been mentioned on another thread, Chelsea currently have bids in for 20 players. Mourinho will call a halt to that, but his influence on player purchasing will only hold for as long as he retains the confidence of Roman/Kenyon. Lose that and he'll find himself in a similar situation to Ranieri, with a dressing room full of "stars" and no sense of togetherness.

If I was Abramovich I probably would have sacked Ranieri myself. I'm not a fan of his football. He's the nicest manager in the world though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Well spotted. But Money Bags only appeared last year, yeah? And he gave Ranieri one year to try and win the title, yeah?

So the replacement manager saying he'll win it within four years is a bit rich (pardon the pun ;) ), and I think the fans might just get a little restless before that four years is out if that title hasn't visited Stamford Bridge by then.

Jaysus I hate having to spell it out to come folk...

Many thanks for taking time out from hating Chelsea to spell out your previous post in a humourous (a bit rich - classic stuff) and non- patrionising way.

The point that you seem to be missing is that Claudio had all but 4 seasons at the bridge and won nothing. Abramovich obviously thought that Claudio couldn't deliver the title, taking in his track record and management style. He thinks that Mourinho can. If after a few years , Chelsea have not won the league title Mourinho will get the sack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

He's saying 4 years to try and take the pressure off. I'd say he'd be gone if it's not won within 2 years.

And comparing Ranieri's 4 years to Mourinho's (if he's there that long) is tricky: Ranieri only had big money for one of his 4 years... so no comparison. Chelsea fans will have high hopes though and they should give The Arse a closer fight.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by SCULLY
    Many thanks for taking time out from hating Chelsea to spell out your previous post in a humourous (a bit rich - classic stuff) and non- patrionising way.

The point that you seem to be missing is that Claudio had all but 4 seasons at the bridge and won nothing. Abramovich obviously thought that Claudio couldn't deliver the title, taking in his track record and management style. He thinks that Mourinho can. If after a few years , Chelsea have not won the league title Mourinho will get the sack.

Maybe he did. But then he obviously missed the lack of cash in year three yet the near Herculean effort Chelsea put in to finish in the top four that season. You know, the effort that put them into the CL so they could reach this years semis? Would RA have bothered his arse with Chelsea if they hadn't qualified for the CL last year? Possibly not.

Anyway, I'm not wasting anymore Chelsea-hating time on this...;)

But then he obviously missed the lack of cash in year three yet the near Herculean effort Chelsea put in to finish in the top four that season.
    Their team was just as good, if not better, than Liverpool's last year but Liverpool's season was put down as terrible and they were only one match away from 4th.:dunno: 4th - hereculean effort, 5th - Woeful effort.:p

Advertisement