Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voting more than once??

Options
  • 06-06-2004 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

I recently moved house and I received two polling cards last week, for the same local election area but two different Polling stations!

I think its illegal to vote twice is it???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

theres six in my house and we got 10 voting cards

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by irish1
    Er, of course it's illegal to vote more than once[1]. Illegal enough that Bunreacht na hEireann says it in Article 16.1.4. Illegal enough that we've a range of penalties enacted in legislation that I don't know off the top of my head and that that I'm too lazy to look up.

Was there any doubt in your mind?:)

[1]Dail elections (and obviously local, European and referendums). There are plenty of people who have more than one legal vote in the Seanad elections. Many of them probably get their kids to fill it out

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Must...resist...temptation...to...flame...Sinn Fein...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by therecklessone

LOL

Well as I said I did think it was illegal, but I really can't understand why we got 2 polling cards, we never registered again, I mean the address on the second polling card isn't even our new address.

So I can choose to vote at either then??? and will the non-turnout figure be increased by 1 due to me having 2 polling cards but only voting once???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

Similar thing happened to me. I moved house and a polling card for me was sent to my old address and my new address. Some dufuses in election officialdom :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

LOL

Well as I said I did think it was illegal, but I really can't understand why we got 2 polling cards, we never registered again, I mean the address on the second polling card isn't even our new address.

So I can choose to vote at either then??? and will the non-turnout figure be increased by 1 due to me having 2 polling cards but only voting once???

What happens is that the local politicians register you with the wrong address. They think that you are not already registered.
    They should not be allowed to register people without their consent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Seinfeld

It is illegal but that doesn't stop people doing it. Sure one of the Fine Gael candidates in the Cabra/Glasnevin area has registered himself and his fiance twice, this was no accident. He registered first time with his proper name, Pascal Donohoe, and the second time with his and his fiances middle names, so he registered a second time as Pascal James Donohoe. Makes me sick

Originally posted by therecklessone

But then you would have to add Fianna Fáil in there too ;)

So in reality the turnout figures for elections are not nearly correct!!!!

Oh and as penaltys go
    15.—Every person guilty of an illegal practice, whether under any of the foregoing sections or any of the provisions hereinafter contained in this Act, shall on summary conviction be liable to a fine not exceeding one hundred pounds and shall, during a period of five years from the date of his conviction, be incapable of being registered as a Dáil, Seanad or Local Government elector, or of voting, at any Dáil, Seanad or Local Government election or at a Referendum.

€127 and ban from voting if you get caught ;)

Where did you get that information Irish1? I'm very interested

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Seinfeld
    Where did you get that information Irish1? I'm very interested
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA38Y1923S15.html

Advertisement