Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool news/rumour round up

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

i'd hope there were no transfers until the new manager arrives, if there are then i'd worry about next season turning out like the last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Any news on who the new manager will be? The last I heard was Benitze saying that other teams were interested in signing him. I wonder why he said that ,was it to put pressure on Liverpool to get a move and if so has their interest in him cooled, or is it something to do with the uncertainty over what Finances will be available to the new manager?

According to the Sunday Papers he Thai deal is dead and It looks like the Morgan Deal is the only show in town if they want to have cash to give whoever takes over to Finance team rebuilding without selling their best players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Benitez business is head-scratching. He cant join until a two week period has passed which is this later week, Parry is unmoved. I can only think the deal is long since done (before Houllier was sacked).

Quite why he said he was uncertain of his future is baffling, who'd leave a top club not knowing where they were heading next?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

Could just be because of the legal action

From Koptalk
    Former Valencia coach Rafael Benitez claims he hasn't yet agreed to join another club following his resignation.

Benitez is expected to paraded at a Liverpool press conference next week but now that Valencia may try and claim damages through the courts, his statement is probably to try and weaken the case of his former employers.

"There is interest from various clubs, but nothing more," said Benitez. "My agent Manuel Garcia Quilon has told me there is still nothing concrete with any of those teams.

"When my agent has weighed up the offers, he'll give me his thoughts and we will decide if one of them is convincing enough."

Ah yes that makes sense . I wonder will the courts will be fooled if he does sign for Liverpool and the Valencia decide to lodge a claim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Any news on who the new manager will be? The last I heard was Benitze saying that other teams were interested in signing him. I wonder why he said that ,was it to put pressure on Liverpool to get a move and if so has their interest in him cooled, or is it something to do with the uncertainty over what Finances will be available to the new manager?
    All the quotes around are weeks old at this stage.

If Benitez quits his job (which he has done) and then starts a new job (Liverpool) before Valencia appoint a replacement then he will have to pay the club compensation. Similarly Raneiri wouldn't join Valencia until he had sorted out his compensation with Chelsea - if he had signed before getting his money then Chelsea could have a legal case because he was looking for the remainder of his contract to be paid up even though he was already employed by somebody else.

Expect Raneiri to be officially presented as the Valencia manager before Benitez is announced as Liverpool's new manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Yes, I think you are right Bannor. The whole movement of managers is very
    much inter-linked, its a bit like waiting for domino's to fall but once
    the starter one is knocked over a few will move quickly. I think though
    that Valencia may have a legal case against Benitez in some shape or
    form if he is being seen as "tapped". My understanding though is that
    he resigned and hence is not due a large amount of compensation unlike
    a sacking. But no doubt there is likely to be a waiting period which I
    thought legally would have to be 1 months notice (in most EU countries).

Given your links to agents, etc, could you get a template contract as that
    would make interesting reading as to what managers and players are
    signing up to these days? eg: the pension system at Rangers, etc.

http://www.lfconline.com/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=161947
    Borussia Dortmund schemer Tomas Rosicky has conceded that his hopes of securing a dream move to Liverpool may have left with departing manager Gerard Houllier.

The 56-year-old French coach was a huge admirer of the talented Czech star and was ready to make a summer swoop for the player before being relieved of his post at Anfield.

Rosicky is desperate to leave Dortmund following a disappointing season in the Bundesliga, but he must anxiously await the thoughts of incoming Reds boss Rafael Benitez before packing his bags for Merseyside.

Rosicky admitted: "Houllier really wanted me. But I am not sure what the new manager thinks about it all."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,27-1138292,00.html
    Owen may be swayed by the Benítez factor
    By Oliver Kay

LIVERPOOL expect to confirm Rafael Benítez as their new manager by the end of the week and hope that the announcement will persuade Michael Owen to commit his future to the club. Little progress has been made on negotiations for an extension to Owen’s contract, which expires at the end of next season, but the Merseyside club believe that the appointment of the former Valencia coach will prompt the England forward to sign at least a one-year extension.

Liverpool are already trying to trim their squad to give Benítez greater room for manoeuvre. After the departure of Emile Heskey to Birmingham City, the club are in talks with West Bromwich Albion over a deal that would see Djimi Traoré, the French defender, leave, possibly on loan. Vladimir Smicer, the Czech Republic forward, is attracting interest from Lens, his former club, and Southampton, but any deal would require him to accept a drop in wages.

Mike.

http://liverpool.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=890&p=2&stid=8349947
    Liverpool are being tipped to confirm Rafael Benitez as their new manager before Thursday. The Spaniard quit Valencia recently and is se to take up the reigns at Anfield.

Chief Executive Rick Parry has returned from his family holiday and further talks were held with 44-year-old Benitez yesterday.

An announcement regarding his appointment is likely to be made either later today or tomorrow. It is an outstanding coup for the club after Benitez led Valencia to a league and UEFA Cup double last season.

The arrival of Benitez could signal the end of the road for several members of the backroom staff as well as players.

Assistant manager Phil Thompson's position is seriously under-threat as Benitez is expected to appoint his own number two.

Sammy Lee speaks Spanish so he could be safe.

Mike.

Quiet is'nt it?

Mike.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by mike65
    Quiet is'nt it?

Mike.

Very! Maybe they are not going to bother with a manager for next season.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Very! Maybe they are not going to bother with a manager for next season.;)

Might not be a bad thing :p

Advertisement