Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

soccer in croke park

• 06-06-2004 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

does the result of the dublin /westmeath match mean that croke park is a big step closer to opening its doors to soccer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

What could that possibly have to do with allowing soccer into Croke Park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I might aswell post a little bit of on-topicness.

Fran Rooney (FAI) said yesterday that it is highly likely that Ireland will be playing in Britain in 2006 and they aren't even considering Croker anymore. :(

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=11815

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

does the result of the dublin /westmeath match mean that croke park is a big step closer to opening its doors to soccer.

No, i think that the Brazil and Chile drawing will now ensure that the doors will be open for the World Cup qualifiers. ;)

Why in the name of sweet divine would you let someone like this loose on the street!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

candidate for most bizarre Gaa post yet ?

must be up there with some of thirdmans comments !

Alan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by Alany
    candidate for most bizarre Gaa post yet ?

must be up there with some of thirdmans comments !

Alan

ya Handball the best GAA sport , that guy cracks me up .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

Your Logic Astounds Me :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I like Monster Munch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭denissilver

maybe i didnt explain properly but surely the dubs bring in a large chunk of money to croke park . i dont know how much but there must be a shortage in their budget thisyear to pay interest on their overdraft.there they might need another source of income.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

in a word .. no

Dublin do generate a lot of revenue but, that wont force the hand off the gaa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by denissilver
    maybe i didnt explain properly but surely the dubs bring in a large chunk of money to croke park . i dont know how much but there must be a shortage in their budget thisyear to pay interest on their overdraft.there they might need another source of income.:)
    For the rest of the Leinster championship Croke Park will be full or almost full. Having Dublin there or not will not make much difference to attendences. Dublin are also still involved in the qualifiers and however unlikely it may seem, they may get through to play in croker again this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The GAA apparently dont share your optimisim on the crowd front Imposter. It was reckoned that Dublin v Kildare would have brought in over 60,000, but they are expecting only half that for Westmeath v Wexford.

There are rumours in Westmeath of it being moved from Croker to Portloaise, or alternatively of it being put on as a double bill with Laois v Meath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by The Rooster
    The GAA apparently dont share your optimisim on the crowd front Imposter. It was reckoned that Dublin v Kildare would have brought in over 60,000, but they are expecting only half that for Westmeath v Wexford.

There are rumours in Westmeath of it being moved from Croker to Portloaise, or alternatively of it being put on as a double bill with Laois v Meath.
    You've got 2 sets of supporters there that haven't been this far in Leinster in a long time. I think there will definitely be more wanting to go than Portlaoise can hold (and more than your 30k estimate above), so I reckon Croker is the only sensible option. Playing it with Meath and Laois on the same bill I think would be wrong too as it would be a sell-out and probably all-ticket. That would prevent students from getting in for relatively reasonable prices like they have done up to now. It would also stop people that wanted to go from going and that should be avoided when it is possible to do so.

Anyway we'll have to wait and see what they end up doing.

Advertisement