Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pass Irish

Options
  • 06-06-2004 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

ok, worst subject of the lot. I only need to pass it, which I did in the mocks, so hopefully I'll be ok. I only have one question really, its about the stories and poems. How many and which of them should I know? Is the paper predictable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

The paper is fairly predictable - paper one and two. Basicaly, paper 1 will have your standard essay (sport, youth, drugs/alcohol), story (winning something, exciting incident, accident), letter (going on holidays, concert, etc) and conversation (want to go on holidays, buy/do something). All fairly easy realy once you've practiced a few and learned some phrases.
    Paper two is just as predictable - they follow a pattern every year - I haven't done any irish in a few weeks, so I don't remember what's supposed to come up this year - but if you stick with what came up on the mocks (the one with the Eminem comprehension) then you should be ok. It'll be a very hard exam to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally posted by subway_ie
    It'll be a very hard exam to fail.
    That sounds like a wager to me. I've got a teacher that looks like something from bo selecta, and I haven't done a rap in irish these past two years.

but remeber those stories we learned like tir na nog, gafa etc etc. Is it possible to predict which of those are coming? I dont have time to learn them all

Originally posted by pleb
    That sounds like a wager to me. ...but remeber those stories we learned like tir na nog, gafa etc etc.

Hmmm. Maybe we should cancel that wager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

but remeber those stories we learned like tir na nog, gafa etc etc. Is it possible to predict which of those are coming? I dont have time to learn them all

Not really, kinda hard to predict. I learned 1 from each off by heart and knew the jist of the rest.

You wont fail it by the way :) . I did NOTHING for it (im not joking) and i got a B3 (I'm not bragging :)).

Good luck

Originally posted by Axel
    I learned 1 from each off by heart and knew the jist of the rest.
    I did NOTHING for it

:rolleyes: they look good beside eachother

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

:)

Ah yes so they do. :dunno:

Just so we're clear... "Tír na nóg" isn't on the course... hence my wager cancelling. Maybe you're thinking of Clann Lir?

Originally posted by Axel
    :)

Ah yes so they do. :dunno:
    :dunno: then what the **** have I been learning........ ****, I need to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Was it for this the Wild Geese spread a grey wing on every tide?

:dunno: then what the **** have I been learning........ ****, I need to go

:dunno:
    Ya bucko, sure thing

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

im not to happy about irish, my teacher pleaded me to do pass for my orals,and now i cant change, i failed my mocks 31% and i was never good at irish.tried to study but it dosnt go in like other subjects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

So your doing honours?

You can still drop down to pass ya know! You can drop down on the day. The orals are ALL marked the same without regard to level so you CAN still drop down if your doing honours

Originally posted by chrismon
    im not to happy about irish, my teacher pleaded me to do pass for my orals,and now i cant change, i failed my mocks 31% and i was never good at irish.tried to study but it dosnt go in like other subjects

There was a big arguement about this before, but basically you can drop down at any time untill you receive your first exam paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Chrismon, go in to the Irish-language caff in Dawson Street when it's not busy and chat up one of the waiters or waitresses. You need to talk Irish to learn it.

What's the story with the SEC's obsession with Colin Farrell? He got a full comprehension AND he's apparently a hero. "Chill amach" - wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

He got a full comprehension and was mentioned in the aural. He's a decent actor and he's Irish, but wtf is with their obsession with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

easy paper very happy with it

Apparantly some people wrote two pages for their Comhrá. I wrote *ahem* 3/4 page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

wasn;t bad at all. I wrote the exact same essay ive been doing for the last 4 years (same essay i did for JC honours) and pretty much the same comhra that i've been doing the last 2 years. Wrote nearly a page on the essay, and a page on the comhra.

The tape was a bit of a disaster. Firstly she was 5 minutes late (as usual). Then, we had to switch tape recorders, as the first one was too quiet, and when you turned it up it buzzed badly. Then our tape was fecked up, and it was missing the repeat of the first comhra thingy (i'm talking about the very first section you do). It was supposed to be played twice, but it was only played once. So we had to stop and change to the second tape, which had an unnaturally long section of silence after the usual intro, and our examiner was just about to switch tapes back when it kicked in.

By that stage we were just over 20 minutes delayed. But i still did feckin deadly on it, getting pretty much everything right (as far as i know). THere was nothing i was syuck on.

I failed irish in my mocks but today went great!!

The irish just flowed out of me! I wrote 1 and a bit page for my debate type thing on TV and did 1 page on the present for your birthday letter.

The listening was brilliant! I ACTUALLY UNDERSTOOD IT!! and that is amasing for me.

If it was only these 2 papers (and perhaps forget about the oral) then I think I could actually pass!! but tomory IM screwed!! :D

• Advertisement

I wrote about 2 pages for the comhrá, the one about the olympics. Very nice question, did something VERY similar about a month ago.

So does anyone know if spelling is important for the aural, made quite a few spelling errors.

Spelling isn't supposed to matter that much, as long as what you write closely resembles the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Wtf was going on with yer man in the last question, Joe Mickie Jimmie MacGrianna. I mean for god's sake, dunno about pass but in hons we had to write his name out. Otherwise, very easy.

Originally posted by Discharger Snake
    Wtf was going on with yer man in the last question, Joe Mickie Jimmie MacGrianna. I mean for god's sake, dunno about pass but in hons we had to write his name out. Otherwise, very easy.

We were given his name on the exam paper... did look a bit weird. The questions were something along the lines of "what was he doing in the pub?" and "where can you buy his album?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

what an utter joke of an exam

You had to write his name!!! Im crap at irish but I didnt see that question and I thought that would be quite an easy question!!

I did however get the what was he doing and where to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Jesus, that Irish Aural exam was a joke in fairness. The mock was much harder.

I attempted every question in it, but I couldn't get that one where you had to send something in when applying for the job in Raidio na Loife. I think it was 'Fonn machadra'' or some **** - I wrote what I though it sounded like :) - people were moving and coughing each time it was played.

Also put down ''Corcaigh'' instead of ''Cuairt'' for that question - "Where was yer man yesterday?".

Paper 1 was a bit of a doddle in fairness, but what is with the Exam Commission giving the worst ****in essay titles ever this year? I wrote about that You're a Satire piece of ****. Hit about a page and a half.

The other one, I wrote about that amazing present my thuismitheoiri gave me, and was so amazed that I had to write to my friend. Said I got my Wit,.. Oxegen ticket from them, and spun in the ''Ceolchoirm'' and ''Ghrupa ceoil'' essays I knew so well. Hit about a page and a half on that too.

Comprehensions were some doddle. Pissed myself when I saw "Hector" sa phaipear.
    Coilín's comprehension was too easy, really. I added some of my own bits in, so I'd say I got full marks on that - It was too easy - I'm sure each examiner would be getting the same 'copied' answers in every booklet,.. I had to add a bit of class :)

I also used ''ar bith'' a commonly used saying with me and my friends. We use it sooo out of context, we ''Ar bith'' at anything, but, I'd say for the second time ever, I used it in the proper context today. The other time was when someone remarked about na daoine dubha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Oh god that Jimmy joe mac jim john junior name had me in tears laughing also Comhra a DOH, where do they find these people?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by conZ
    I think it was 'Fonn machadra'' or some **** - I wrote what I though it sounded like :) - people were moving and coughing each time it was played.

It was probably "foirm iarratas"... you know, like it is every year. That and "Gaeilige líofa" always come up on the pass aural.

Advertisement