Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New star trek show in the works

• 08-06-2004 10:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

From TrekWatcher: 5/14/04

Coming Fall 2005…

STAR TREK: UNIFICATION

Long time Star Trek Executive Producer Rick Berman, just prior to taking a less prominent role in the Star Trek franchise, dropped a bombshell this afternoon via his weekly teleconference. Plans are underway for a new Star Trek series, this incarnation under the moniker “Unification”.

With one series midway through its projected run and hints of another film in the works, Berman explains his reasoning behind the announcement.

BERMAN: “We (Brannon Braga) have been bouncing ideas back and forth about where the Trek story should for a year or so. It occurred to us that a good amount of the recent content had a sense of the ‘recycled’. Fans have been antsy about our current direction. It then hit upon us that what we had in front of us was a creative glut. We could go back again, way back to the beginning or a prequel direction. But then it was like painting ourselves into a corner. How to keep it solid and not step on the rich mythology that is Star Trek was the issue truly at hand. The fans simply deserve to know they are being listened to and we have learned from it.”

“So we went, pardon the phrase, where we hadn’t gone before–beyond the limits of warp speed, the limits of the Federation and the limits of what we thought of and defined as a Starship.”

“We took a long look at Gene’s [Roddenberry’s] vision, the Starship as a living community, a vessel with a task to explore, discover and all those other things that made Star Trek Star Trek. He did that twice, back in the 60s and again in the 80s. When you think about it, The Next Generation is what the man would have done if not for the social and technological limitations in which the first series was born. We took the Roddenberry philosophy and pushed it to the extreme.”

TREKWATCHER: And what does this mean for Star Trek fans? What can we look forward to in a year?

(In a rare moment, Berman gives us a glimpse into the 26th Century):

BERMAN: “The premise for ‘Unification’ is borrowed from that Next Generation episode in which Spock is attempting to bring his Romulan brethren back into the fold. We took that little bit of lore and spun that idea into more of an intergalactic-scale scenario. Like Gene wanted in his last show, not to go back to the old stand-bys, but to move forward and expand literally and figuratively into new territories. From that we got the Q, Ferengi and a host of other new beings and places. Later, when he brought back some old favorites, it was done in a secondary fashion. The new guys got center stage. That’s what we’re doing again. It’s an evolution of the galaxy as a whole.”

TREKWATCHER: What is does this “evolution” entail?

BERMAN: “Gone are the old conflicts. Forget the Neutral Zones, Treaty of Algeron, and all that other stuff. It’s over. In fact, our story for the first episode deals with this transition. It’s out with the old and in with the new. Suddenly, the galaxy becomes at once at lot bigger and so much smaller. Our central theme explores what this new openness means to our characters. We did something like this with Voyager, but only skimmed the surface. This new century brings on a true Renaissance. The mission to explore strange new worlds is really gonna hit home.”

TREKWATCHER: So the big question is, will there be a Starship Enterprise?

BERMAN: “Oh yes, there will be an Enterprise. And, in keeping with our ideas and Gene’s, she’ll be a true community in space. The guys in the art department have outdone themselves coming up with the ship that looks like the vision of the show. When you see her for the first time, you won’t have look for a nameplate to know who she is. This Enterprise is going to knock your socks off.”

(Berman lets one more teaser through):

BERMAN: “And she’s REALLY fast.”

Sounds ****ing great if this is true

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Im baffled by this to be honest really baffled, berman has been really inconsistent with his statements of late

1) I think Star trek should be rested

2) The next film in the works is a prequel, and according to trekweb.com. imdb movie website has registered a domain name for the star trek prequel, which is a pretty good indicator that the prequel will be made

And now this, I presume theyll end Enterprise after the 4th season and then go with this.

Im against this to be honest, i dont think theres any point in keeping on throwing out Star Trek series in the hopes something will stick and theyll have another ratings winner.

Gene Roddenberry is rolling in his grave right about now

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Originally posted by shinzon
    Im baffled by this to be honest really baffled, berman has been really inconsistent Gene Roddenberry is rolling in his grave right about now

Shin

This idea sounds like the rebirt of star trek tbh if its pulled off and it was always genes plan to have a show like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I wouldn't mind seeing this at all... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The use of the word "extreme" sets my skin crawling to be sure.

Could work out but I really think that Star Trek need a couple of years break while people come up with a valid reasion to make a new series and not just the current milk the trek fans for everything we can gig.

The whole community ship idea is BS tho as TNG was a ship that had the ships families onboard tho this fact seems to have been dropped in the last few movies.

New Trek show needs to have ........................

No Vulcans - boring at this stage
    No Klingons - as above
    NO BORG.
    No big breasted women - sorry fan boi's but if the only reasion people are watching the show if due to one actress's tits then the show sucks.
    More characters who really know how to hate/break the rules. Quark and garrak rocked in Ds9 due to not being SF goody goody types.
    NO BORG. Were cool but not anymore.
    Bad ass enemies who can really fook up the crew should be bad ass and no 58 min solution to the current episode problem should be done.
    NO BORG.
    Kill off a main character every now and again to keep show interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Oh I dunno... this sounds pretty good to me :) And I always thought the Klingons and Cardassians were great in DS9. (Gul Dukat - Best..Villian...EVER!) :)

Just as long as the ship don't look like that Enterprise-J from a few weeks back! yuck!!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Venom

The whole community ship idea is BS tho as TNG was a ship that had the ships families onboard tho this fact seems to have been dropped in the last few movies.

I disagree star trek was always about exploreing lately that hasnt been happening.This new ship is going to be a super galaxy class not a super warship like the sovy with transwarp it will be able to explore the whole galaxy imagen all the new races you can even revist some old cool races from the delta or gamma quad....the show if made right could be total class.

I do agree about the rest of your ideas though (other than the give trek a rest thing :p )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

sorry
    but I want BORG

and Species 8472, and the dominion..

how about a big war with the borg and the dominian and species 8472 all kicking each others asses, while the puny federation watches on the side lines...

now that would be fun :P

Originally posted by Memnoch

how about a big war with the borg and the dominian and species 8472 all kicking each others asses, while the puny federation watches on the side lines...

now that would be fun :P

YES! theres a plan yets do again what isnt working right now!!!

And the federation isnt punny its the most powerful of the aplha quadrant powers also in this new show *if made* the romulans klingons cardies etc will be part of the federation in the 26th centurie the federation will be huge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

This is happy news.

I would like a show based right after star trek x / after VOY/
    we need to know what happens after the dominion waR.
    Fall 2005? thats too long away.

I want borg, When did the federation construct there first time ship?
    We know the klingons develped one roughly around 33 years after voyagers launch date. I know that was a alternite timeline but my point is there was one timeline where klingons develped time travel quite earley.

Will there be time travel in the 26th century?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Borg should only be in it if they return to TNG form, I actually liked the Enterprise borg episode. It wasn't the continuity disaster it could have been and it had all the tension and urgency that was missing from Voyager.

I'd rather they wait though. Since they brought in Manny Coto Enterprise has been getting better. Wrap up Ent after season 4 or 5, wait two years then start a new series. Absence makes the heart grow fonder etc.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by User45701
    This is happy news.

I would like a show based right after star trek x / after VOY/
    we need to know what happens after the dominion waR.
    Fall 2005? thats too long away.

I want borg, When did the federation construct there first time ship?
    We know the klingons develped one roughly around 33 years after voyagers launch date. I know that was a alternite timeline but my point is there was one timeline where klingons develped time travel quite earley.

Will there be time travel in the 26th century?

100+ years isnt really right after

And you want all the same races again and the same old over used time travel ****e ? do you have no imagination at all? do you not understand just how cool this series can be because it totally rewrites the rule book we don’t need the same over used crap ffs

i thik u misunderstood.

i am happy that there is a new sereis but i dont want the series to be in the 26th,

i want it to be after the dominion war. I suppose i wouldent mind it being 26 just as long as they tell us what happened after the dominiopn war. Mabe make a few referenses to it.

We have to assume that by the 26th the federation will be huge, i cant see that many powers being able to match them, the voth borg dominion, emm are there any others that i didnt mention? i suppose 8472 if they can adapt to the boi warheads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Going off on a tangent here, I'm actually joint head of a Star Trek org that has a 29th century timeship in it, even with it being set in the 24th century after Voyager. Of course we're plotting it very carefully for continuity purposes, though there's a few inconsistencies in place to make it a little more human...

Originally posted by User45701
    i thik u misunderstood.

i am happy that there is a new sereis but i dont want the series to be in the 26th,

i want it to be after the dominion war. I suppose i wouldent mind it being 26 just as long as they tell us what happened after the dominiopn war. Mabe make a few referenses to it.

We have to assume that by the 26th the federation will be huge, i cant see that many powers being able to match them, the voth borg dominion, emm are there any others that i didnt mention? i suppose 8472 if they can adapt to the boi warheads

The federation fell and was rebuit after the dom war you know andromada ? that was genes idea for star trek the federation falls and is rebuilt .....They skipped the fall part and gone onto the rebuilding part (or rebuilt) hence! the name this was always genes idea for star trek or so i hear

And yes the fed will be huge all fed romulan klingon cardy etc space

We we will have a Fed controlling alpha and 1/2 of beta, probbley a dominion in control of gamma.
    The delta quadrent is very fragmented.

The borg are heavley damaged but mabe they will controll all of the delta quadrent in the 26th.
    I would LOVE to see the devore imperiam take over the delta quadrent but they dont have the power. The Voth are probbley the most powerfull.

Also u remember that planet where time moves fast? In i think it was a week or 2 cavemen- more advanced than voyager. Its been a year or 2 now tho.

Whatever race controlls that planet will controll not just the delta quadrent but probbley this galaxy and many many more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Knew it. Twas too good to be true.

Balls

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Steven999

from what was said about this new series and the way he said the ship will be very fast , I think it'll be further on in the timeline and the ship will be leaving our milky way and about to arrive in a neighbouring galaxy.i know the distance between galaxies is huge but it makes sense to me.....or maybe it does'nt I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by Kaenyne
    InragedSith, I congratulate you!

Yes, the article is complete fabrication. It was something I have been wanted to try for a little while now. "Why?" do you ask...

Well, of late I have noticed a growing number (IMHO that is) of folks who are disenfranchised by the current Trek series. That, and the reaction to the last film, have been less than enthusiastic. This has me somewhat concerned about the future of Star Trek as whole. So, my twisted little brain formed an experiment, a sort of "blind test" to gauge true fan reactions to a new show. By giving it a sense of "reality", I reasoned that I would get unblemished opinions.

So, my early conclusion is that there is definately a cynicism to the posts, an anti-Berman vibe, if you will.

If anyone got overly excited or upset by my ideas behind a new Trek series, I apologize. They were just some things I wanted to communicate to folks, but in a less than traditional way. Even though I admit I like "Enterprise", if I were at the wheel, "Unification" is the probable the direction I would go. It wouldn't be a "one big happy family" show exactly, but more a return to philosophical roots. IDIC, peaceful exploration of the cosmos. Galactic civilization to have evolved and matured beyond old conflicts. One way to do that was to let go of old stand-bys, such as the Neutral Zone. By finally resolving differences with the Romulans, that would be a big step forward. And the door was opened in "Nemesis". How could the Federation NOT take that chance at peace? After all, it's been done before. The Klingons are more or less permanent allies now(and who prior to the premiere of TNG saw THAT coming?).

To everybody else, "GOTCHA!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah ffs. I was really looking forward to that too. I always wanted a sequel to DS9/Voyager to see the aftermath of events. Wanted to see the Federation with total freedom to exlore the Delta Quadrant like they had in that Voyager episode "Timeless".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Justice

dunno about his idea for the new show.

personally i like enterprise the series.

this whole idea of taking star trek back to its idelogical roots just doesnt cut it for me no more. the start trek we see at the moment reflects the current mindset (of the americans). TNG reflected the time it was in as did TOS before it.

i dont buy tthe line that if you restore star trek somewhat to its original concept it will be better. TNG was great, i loved it. but i loved it at that time. when i see it now its good, but the squeeky cleanliness and moralistic approach would be offputting to many new viewers imo.

TV aduiences are more sphisticated now than ever. i think enterprise reflects this reality. what it will be like next series, i dont know.
    however i have faith in the star trek writers. i think they know their existing audience and they know how to draw a new audience in, regardless of the setting.

Yes enterprise really is great isnt it the way its bombing like hell and will be cancelled next year i mean TNG and ds9 had that problem to ...........oh wait no they didnt shows how great the current crop of writers are

Enterprise didnt work so try something different if paramount bothers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

oh Christ not another Enterprise Ship looking into every crack of space again!

Im sorry but its been tired and completed soo many times talk abut milking it for all its worth, DS9 some something completely different , and that was (in my opinion) the best ST show of them all ,real seriousissues were disscused like poverty, war, terrorism, refugees, murder and the next episode they didnt go bouncing off to some other planet all happy and merry, ds9 stayed their they had to live with it . TNG was a good starting point to breath life into ST but its done, they should really move on to new system not the old "starship going where no one has gone before" .

how about a show on section 31 ?

or a fed Colony on the arse end of space ?

or Post War Cardissa?

Advertisement