Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Eircom be blocking ports?

• 08-06-2004 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

About 1 week ago I've noticed that my bittorent download speed is getting slow. At first I thought its just a on off thing but its happening to all my downloads. Thing is I've never had problem with bittorent before. My download speed has always been fast. I've open all the ports required. I am using Bittornado. I've even tried Burst but same result. I'm just buffled by this. The only explaination I can think of is that Eircom may be blocking the ports. So, are anyone else on Eircom experiencing this?
    Any suggestions to make my bittorent back on the usual speed is welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I don't suppose you're in the Drogheda/Louth area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

try using non-standard ports, randomly choose a port number and get bittornado to use that, then forward that etc, and see if that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Originally posted by eth0_
    I don't suppose you're in the Drogheda/Louth area?

Nope :)
    Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    try using non-standard ports, randomly choose a port number and get bittornado to use that, then forward that etc, and see if that helps.

I tried that as well but I tried ports 49881 to 49999. Still the same.
    I thought that bittorent clients only connect to 6881 - 6999. Doesnt that mean if I change the ports, I wont get connected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

torrent speeds shoot all over the gaf, it depends and the ratio of seeders to leachers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭IDM

No problems here. Sure it couldn't be something else causing the bottleneck ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Did you set up any kind of firewall or change your router settings? BT download speeds will be poor unless incoming connections can get through.. My d/l speeds went from 10kb/s to 55 kb/s when I set up port forwarding properly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭proteus

I was getting 48-50k sustained all sunday morning.

Well thats the thing, all this while I was getting about 100k/bs and now I'm only like getting less than 10k/bs. I've tried downloading a couple of stuff just to test the speed and they are all the same. The light doesnt even change to green at any time. I didnt change anything on my router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Make sure ports 6881-6991 can get through both your modem and your router/firewall and your BT client is set up to use them. Check your pinhole and port forwarding configs. Also limit your BT uploads to 10kb/s and 2 slots.. This can be done in the Burst! client.

Doing this fixed the problem for me.

Is there any program that I can use to test whether the ports are open? I tried once on this website it says that it cant connect to port 6881 but I've open that port on my router. My firewall has been set to let all bittornado bandwith through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭dubmick

"Make sure ports 6881-6991 can get through both your modem and your router/firewall and your BT client is set up to use them. Check your pinhole and port forwarding configs."

Can you tell me how to do this. I only ever get max speeds of 20kb per sec and the light is alway yellow. I have McAfee Firewall running and it is set to allow 'BitTornado' . Even if I turn the firewall off it doesn't change.

Well after Eircom went down a couple of times yesterday, my bittorent downloads are back to normal today. Everything is on green light. Dont think I did anything so I'm still assuming that its on Eircom's side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Here's how to test if eircom or something else is blocking the port...

1) Open a torrent.
    2) Get a shell account on a unix machine elsewhere or ring up a friend
    3) Telnet from the remote machine to your public IP address on port 6881 / get your friend to do that.
    4) If it connects (ie the screen goes blank and you can type crap into it), nothing is wrong, it's just the unreliable nature of bittorrent at work.

If it doesn't, then you've got a problem on your router/pc/ISP.

Originally posted by ssh
    Here's how to test if eircom or something else is blocking the port...

1) Open a torrent.
    2) Get a shell account on a unix machine elsewhere or ring up a friend
    3) Telnet from the remote machine to your public IP address on port 6881 / get your friend to do that.
    4) If it connects (ie the screen goes blank and you can type crap into it), nothing is wrong, it's just the unreliable nature of bittorrent at work.

If it doesn't, then you've got a problem on your router/pc/ISP.

Thanks for the tip. Would I be able to do this with SSH Secure Shell Client?

Advertisement