Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the most cost effective setup

• 08-06-2004 4:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi

i have a eircon bb connection , netopia bb modem 1 pc and 1 centrino laptop.

I want to be able to use the laptop anywhere in the house. I have foil backed plaster board all over the place. I have read this is a problem.

Any advice, also I want the wireless to be secure so I do not unwittingly provide a public bb spot.

Cheers

willows

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Providing your netopia modem is an ethernet one, all you will need to do is get yourself a wireless router, I myself have a
    Netgear WGR614 and it will what your looking for.

Plug your modem into the internet port on the router, in the router config setup the wireless network and configure encription to what level suits you. The Centrino chip uses the 802.11b so you can set the router up soley as a b network if you wish. Enter the encription details into the laptop and you should be able to browse the net through that.

Or else you can get a modem/router/access point which will replace the modem and router for one system.

If the modem is USB and stuck to the pc you can also look at plugging the ethernet port on the pc into a access point and sharing the dsl connection through ICS over the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭willows

thanks for that , saved oddles and oodles of messing about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by willows
    I have foil backed plaster board all over the place. I have read this is a problem.

Winters seemed to skip over this point. It _could_ be a problem, but you won't really know til you try it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Im sure foil backed walls wont pose too much of a signal threat unless your looking at going over long distances.. Also, isint most plater board foil backed?

A lot of the walls in my house are foot think reinforced concentrete. I can easily get through two of these, 2 more thin walls [about 5" think] and then another 100 ft into the garden without going below 55% signal ... easily.

Advertisement