Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line Passes Noise and Signal test but no dsl?

• 08-06-2004 5:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Ive had an engineer test my line (not an eircom guy thank god) and he said there is less noise on my line than his and my signal is better than his yet he has dsl and i dont, now i thought the needs for DSL were to have little noise and High signal right? and he said because i have ISDN and got it back when ISDN was on an Qualification Basis it should mean that my line should be instantly compatable for dsl.

So the line is not the problem so you would think the exchange? no its within an stones throw of my house and i know which way the cableing gose from my house to it and its well under the distance for dsl.

So the line is fine and DSL exchange is within an stones throw (ill even put up photos if i have to!!) So whats the problem? I ring up eircon and they say "your lines been tested before and it still turns up red so im afraid you cant get it"

Whats the problem???!! i know the exchange is active because ive been told by eircom, esat and utv and even Netsource! that it is! So who do i talk to and what do i do??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by Blitz
    Hi,

Ive had an engineer test my line (not an eircom guy thank god) and he said there is less noise on my line than his and my signal is better than his yet he has dsl and i dont, now i thought the needs for DSL were to have little noise and High signal right? and he said because i have ISDN and got it back when ISDN was on an Qualification Basis it should mean that my line should be instantly compatable for dsl.

So the line is not the problem so you would think the exchange? no its within an stones throw of my house and i know which way the cableing gose from my house to it and its well under the distance for dsl.

So the line is fine and DSL exchange is within an stones throw (ill even put up photos if i have to!!) So whats the problem? I ring up eircon and they say "your lines been tested before and it still turns up red so im afraid you cant get it"

Whats the problem???!! i know the exchange is active because ive been told by eircom, esat and utv and even Netsource! that it is! So who do i talk to and what do i do??

There were problems with people who had devices, call waiters to caller id units, long telephone cables. If you have any of these, perhaps you should pull them out and have your line retested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

I know about them but when i get the line tested everything is taken out so... still no joy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I know about them but when i get the line tested everything is taken out so... still no joy

Where exactly did the engineer test from?

port 1 and 2 of the isdn unit (anologue ports)

right at the box

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Grayarea

I had this problem as well.

In the end I got Eircom to downgrade me to pots and my line passed within 30 days of the downgrade :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

back to 56k for 30 days err... an evil proposition :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Grayarea

back to 56k for 30 days err... an evil proposition :)

That is what I thought, but once the downgrade happened I got around 46Kb a sec, not too bigger reduction :)

Advertisement