Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie prizemoney table

Options
2»

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by cormie
    Lets just say I should never go back to the 50 Omaha/Hold'em POT limit games. And empire poker live cash games. Just don't have the bank roll! But don't worry, I know what not to play now. So it's all profit from here on... I hope;)

I do hate to say I told you so! :)

Joe O'Neill bought me a pint the other night and we were chatting about the 50 cash game and he thought it was cherry picking lately as a lot of the new players have started playing and losing a lot at Omaha. I would like to learn Omaha but I'm still a long way from playing the cash lads just yet!

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There are people who are serial losers at poker in the Fitz. Nice people, by and large, but I've never seen them walking out with money. eg: Jim? Anyone seen him win? Theres a number of others too and most of the younger students are woefully poor players and dead money in the tournies.

Remember, the team from here walked the Business League so we started from a strong position anyway! People lose money at poker, I cant count the number of nights I've walked out of there 100quid or there abouts lighter but over time I think I have a positive expectation in the tournies. The fact of the matter is that you only need be in the top half-third of the field to have such an expectation.
    I can throw 40-60 at the 20-in game twice a week for a month and that gives me 8 shots at the money. If any one of those 8 shots turns into 3rd or better, I'm breaking even or there abouts. If I cant get 3rd once in 8 times then I'd begin to worry tbh...

DeV.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Originally posted by DeVore
    There are people who are serial losers at poker in the Fitz. Nice people, by and large, but I've never seen them walking out with money. eg: Jim? Anyone seen him win?

He won some big tournament in there last year - there is even a picture of him with a wad of cash in the reception area. He's fierce slow though - I was at his table last night and I'd say he played 2 hands in the first 3 hours.

Hyzepher

He's an utter rock too usually, I rarely go up against him unless I have a monster. He might be stealing (I've caught him before and he's as wary of me as I am of him now!) but if he is, most of the time I'm happy to give it to him because more often then not he has kings or aces when he bets.

My point is that there is plenty of dead money in those tournies... and with no "house" as such, the better players *become* the house as the odds are long term in their favour...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I do hate to say I told you so! :)

Joe O'Neill bought me a pint the other night and we were chatting about the 50 cash game and he thought it was cherry picking lately as a lot of the new players have started playing and losing a lot at Omaha. I would like to learn Omaha but I'm still a long way from playing the cash lads just yet!

DeV.

I remember that and I haven't sat down since (actually I think I did once) I just can't stand Pot limit Omaha Holdem, Omaha will eat you alive with them gamblers. I remember one hand where I thought I had a FH of aces but since you HAVE to use two hole cards, I had squat! I'm just gonna concentrate on freerolling (and I mean free, no more buyins or top ups... I hope that stands up tonight! I just love the top up stage where no more buyins are allowed, I hate top ups though)

I don't really want to talk about the cash games any more. Haha. I've learned from my mistakes. I have tried to get NL Hold'em only cash games with blinds 1/1 (they wouldnt do 1/.50) but not much interest. Suppose I'll just have to keep to the home games. Must play with you guys some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Originally posted by cormie
    and I mean free, no more buyins or top ups

lol, How many times have I heard people say this? You do your chances of winning anything a huge disservice if you refuse to either rebuy or (particularly) top-up. Everyone around you is prepared to play looser in the hope of some chips to build up their stack but you have to play your hands like a freezeout. Then at the break 80% of people get twice what you started with without having to play a hand, and not only do you have less chips than them (well, some of them), but the actual value of those chips has decreased because of the extra chips in the tournament. A freeroll freezeout would be nice, but of course, then there would be no prizes.

If you are spending more then 20-30 in the freerolls then something is wrong. What I like about them is that I can play a bit dafter and muck about with my game to see if a different style works better or if I just want to call that 500 all-in bet with my top pair to see what the guy has out of curiousity.... sometimes poker is too serious and the freerolls lately have been more having-a-laugh then anything. (Maybe thats why I havent gotten a ticket lately!)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

If you are spending more then 20-30 in the freerolls then something is wrong.
    DeV.

Would have to agree, hope to spend either nothing or ten, but be prepared to spend twenty or face the prospect of leaving very disappointed very early (one always leaves disappointed unless one wins).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I've only been in maybe 7 freerolls, the time I got a ticket I didn't spend a penny, and another time, I came 3rd when there were 2 tickets:( also not spending a penny. I've only spent money in them once. Sunday last, I wasn't in the mood to play. The other times I'd be knocked out at freezeout (with bad beats, oh but of course) hehe... don't plan on spending any tonight either. Although, it is a long trek from Bray to Fitz and back for a 10 min tourny. So we'll see.

Advertisement