Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

needing a little diversion

Options
  • 08-06-2004 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Having recently gone through something rather unpleasant and needing to escape it for no matter how short a time, I was wondering - okay, I was inspired to ask: What makes you forget life's troubles and often unavoidable conciquence?

Can you get lost in a movie? If yes which one?
    Are you disaplined enough to immerce yourself in a book?
    Is there a particular cd that helps to carry you out and anway?

Being unable to listen to the various cds that I have made and bought over the last little while due to the unpleasant feelings that they now stir, I've been listening to Pink Floyd's "the wall" and the various Zeppelin and Doors compilations that I have... Odd choices yes, but then again understandable as I have no emotional ties to them at all - it's just all good noise that helps to shut out the echo of my own thoughts...

Being a flick-freak and feeling oh so slightly girlie - okay, okay, I wanted to wallow in my own pain damnit :) I watched/listened to - and for these choices please forgive me, Erin Brokovitch, Runaway bride, and Notting Hill... Ahhh, stop rolling your eyes up at me - I did say that they were girlie, and you'll be happy to know watching that last one was like pouring salt on an open wound....

So board, what makes you forget?
    What is it that helps you escape?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

For me, it's got to be 'Hedwig And The Angry Inch'. Makes me too happy to be sad, if ya get my drift....:D
    xm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭trent_derby

The best way out is through.

Radiohead, and jeff buckley.

One film i saw when i was really sad and really cheered me up was a little known film with an all star cast called "The road to wellville" it stars mattew broderick, antony hopkins, john cusack, colm meaney, bridget fonda. and more........

If you cant get your hands on them watch big fish, high fidelity and then lost in translation.

Or get really drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

Julia roberts looks like a fish :dunno:

I agree with trent, Radiohead always seem to cheer me up for some reason! Though if i feel like milkin it ill listen to some Damien Rice.

While I do love the old soppy movie (I always cry) I find it kinda rubs it in a bit, so something stupid like an action flick does the trick, or something piss-puddling funny like monty python :)

Also when feeling frustrated i like to blow stuff up in computer games *does hillbilly laugh*

Oh high Fedility...excellent choice of movie my good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

books to get lost in:
    the lovely bones
    captain corelli's mandolin
    high fidelity-nick hornby
    flight of the stone angel- carol o'connell (not a very cheery one but quite cool)
    anything by isabel allende
    anything by george orwell

music (as above..):
    dance the devil-the frames
    the bends-radiohead
    the colour and the shape-foos
    neither am i- bell x1
    this desert life-counting crows
    ( ) -sigur ros
    the doors.. just anything...

...films is harder but....
    cruel intentions
    the doors film (wow)
    SHREK (purely for the karaoke, i swear..)
    fear & lothing in las vegas
    cheech&chong- make you laugh till you piss yourself.. and then a little more..

bon chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

I have to second trent on the Jeff Buckley.. "Sketches..." CD1 to be precise... and you know what other gem i re-discovered, Don McLean... Vincent is a beautiful song.... filmwise.. A Life Less Ordinary is an unusual take on romantic comedy which i thought was kinda refreshing but then again so was Shaun of The Dead... or ya can never beat a good laugh courtesy of Monty Python

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Music :- Elbows classic Cast of thousands is perfect music for post break up {if that is what happened !?!?!?}
    Anything by Mogwai or Explosions in the sky is great to escape into due to the lack of lyrics and beauty of the music they make..and of course anything by the mighty Manics especially The Holy Bible...

Books :- The Outsider by Albert Camus or 1984 by George Orwell are ones I return to the most. In terms of modern classics anything by Brett Easten Ellis <he wrote American Psycho> or Chuck Palanuick <he wrote Fight Club> is worth a look.

Films :- This is Spinal Tap and The big Lebowski will cheer anybody up.....If you want to get emmersed in a film I suggest that you hunt down anything by David Lynch the non linear plots and surrealist images demand that have to pay a lot of attention to what is happining on screen. I'll spare you anymore of my film loser opinions, I'll leave that for boring the s.h.i.t. out of people the film board :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bheansidhe

Keep your suggestions coming... cuz' what I'm going through isn't getting any easier - the hurt, anger, and dissapointment are beginning to set it... "ohhhh what fun that is!" So, I need all the help I can get :)

Thinking of signing-up for a local yoga class... But no metaphorical glass being completely empty; I'm writing again - so wooohooo!

Ps* When all choice has been taken out of the situation, acceptance is unavoidable.*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭trent_derby

Get locked

Its the only way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

When I was younger I read Adrian Mole books, I'm sure they're still good for a laugh! Must read them again myself....:D
    xm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭McGonagles

Originally posted by bheansidhe
    What makes you forget life's troubles

Movies: Withnail and I
    Much funnier on film than in the script (which is on about 20 websites),
    and the soundtrack is pretty cool too. I could watch this film over and
    over, and never get bored with it.

Books: Dan Brown: The Davinci Code and Angels & Demons
    I'm not really much of a one for airport-shop "pulp fiction" novels, but
    these 2 are, as they say, un-put-down-able. I'll be cynical and say they
    are both written to a similar formula, but they are done very well, and
    loaded with religious symbols, conspiracy theories, secret paths across
    major European cities, and a "whodunnit" element that makes you keep
    guessing, all the way through, who the baddy is.

Music: All of Frank Zappa's early "rock group" albums.
    He's probably best known for his guitar solos, but there was more to
    him than that.
    His musical compositions are always distracting in themselves, and
    even with a "normal" rock line-up he was able to get very strange
    sounds together. But the icing on the cake is his lyrics, for most of
    the early to mid 1970's albums anyway.
    Always brings a smile to my face, no matter what's troubling me.

More recently, Sleater-Kinney have been blowing my cobwebs
    away. They make a lot of noise for a 3-piece, and they aren't really
    what anyone would call easy listening. If their fast songs don't make
    you want to jump up and down, you are probably asleep!
    Official MP3s and more info at their site and their label's site:
    http://www.killrockstars.com/bands/sleater-kinney/
    http://www.sleater-kinney.com/

• Advertisement
Advertisement