Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Higher Level Paper 2

Options
  • 08-06-2004 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

literary genre is guaranteed this year,it has not appeared since 2001 and is not there next year,themes and issues is most likely for the other mode as cultural context has appeared for the past 2 years and themes and issues wasnt there last year,for anyone doing macbeth question the imagery in the play,the character of banquo and the witches are most likely to appear,for the poetry emily dickinson is a guarantee,patrick kavanagh most likely as its his centenary this year so it would be totally direspectful not to have him on the paper,good luck all!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

I hate to be a downer, but since it's his centenary everyone'll be studying him.

Making it a good reason to exclude him if the examiners are feeling evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 informedboy

not at all,they would have to be mad not to put him on,he will be there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Originally posted by informedboy
    not at all,they would have to be mad not to put him on,he will be there!

He might be. He probably will be. But you can never be certain. And with thirteen hours to go, there's no point trying to second-guess the examiners and start revising him. Sitck to the 1-3 poets you've done well so far (or the 5 for the total non-risk takers out there) and kep revising for the rest of the night. Don't bother staying up past about 11-12 tonight, or getting up at 3/4/5/6, it'll just be counterproductive. At this stage, you either know it or you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭smelly girl

where are you getting your sources?

are you just pulling these out of your arse or do you know something?

Originally posted by smelly girl
    where are you getting your sources?

are you just pulling these out of your arse or do you know something?

Apparently he's "informed". Or, more likely, just making wild stabs in the dark like the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 informedboy

yes i have sources cant say much more other than follow my advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

are you or any member of your family a printer by any chance??

Originally posted by Healio
    are you or any member of your family a printer by any chance??

Isn't all the printing done by foreign printing firms who are under confidentiality agreements?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I shouldnt be reading this before I go to bed.

Feckin last minute!!

Rar!!

*yawn*

Go to bed people. You can learn nothing between now and tomorrow!

Originally posted by subway_ie
    Isn't all the printing done by foreign printing firms who are under confidentiality agreements?

i thought that was a rumour.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Healio
    i thought that was a rumour.

The foreign part might be... but they'd have to have some kind of contract whereby the printer would get into serious sh1t for letting people see the exams/telling people what's on. Just think about the costs/logistics involved in changing the exams if they were leaked...

ye i suppose so, we just dont know how its done. well i dont!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Originally posted by Jesjes

Go to bed people. You can learn nothing between now and tomorrow!
    I plan to prove you wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mattg

Im studing Mahon, Dickinson and Wordsworth

And Ive gone with Genre, theme and issue. One of them has to come up.

For MacBeth: Lady Mc Character, KINGSHIP, And I could really pull up an anwser for any other thing that comes up. All you need to do is know your play, and ull be ok.

Oh Well, we'll see....:dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

I'm all for this kavangh dickinson prediction and although I'd love them to come up I just feel it's crazy to totally rely on these rumours, I mean it is quite possible that they'll purposely not put them on but sure we can only wait and see.But come on the witches and theme and issue, that would be the most ideal paper ever!!!!

just imagine them heartless bastards at the exam commission put on frost hopkins wordsworth and heaney, i know id be fcuked, it would be good if they asked two questions on one poet aswell!!!

frost heaney hopkins i can do-two qs on one poet is pushing it, i wud have to march up to the dept ed and smack whoever made the paper for being an unthoughtful selfish dictatorial bastard!

that was just a little dream i had last night!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

dear god, i hope they aren't evil.
    I'm studying Dickinson,Hopkins, Mahon

Spent most of the night dreaming of Dickinson/Silas Marner answers... It's a sad, sad day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

informed boy my arse , where the **** was dickinson ? and you were way out with mancbeth too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

I literally cried with joy when I saw Kavanagh on that paper, same with the comparative. Macbeth was ugh, lame as usual but I did two killer essays which should make up for it. Easy unseen poem too. I was really tempted, for the second half to write "No this doesn't make me hopeful, I've just read the Macbeth question"

I'm confident that I got a high B overall. My essay was one that I got an A in before (my only A in 2 years, she marked that tough) and Freud would have been proud of my analysis of text one paper 1. The part B on text 2 was tricky but I managed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

Trust no one. There could not have been a leak, these things spread to rapidly, department would have already knew. Do they make out two papers in case one gets leaked?

I relied on mahon, plath, and kavanagh. Feelt very lucky.

The atmosphere was very intense when the superindendant was giving out the paper. People were praying for mahon... Our prayers were answered. Thank You God.

To bad culcural context did not come up, i knew that better than a themes essay, besides we newer did genre.

How everyone else do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DeFIANCE

BAH!! DEVIL PAPER!! I did 2 really good pages for the comparative , 2 and a bit pages for the poetry on kavanagh as it only said to make refrence to one or two poems, i chose iniskeen road:a july evening. and hospital . and for macbeth it was gay , i didnt quote nearly enough and ran out of steam, i also thought the exam finished at 3:20 for some reason and by then i had only 2 sections done :dunno:

was very very happy with the paper overall! in fairness I was hoping Dickinson would come up coz i'm in love with her but had enough info to cover all except mahon so did Hopkins. Macbeth essay, I did the one about Macbeth's character, was fine, although kinda wanted evilness or witchs, i was still happy with end result. I was just so relieved that theme and issue came up on comparative, it was so beautiful!!!Ah well two down eight to go!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Originally posted by DeFIANCE
    2 and a bit pages for the poetry on kavanagh as it only said to make refrence to one or two poems, i chose iniskeen road:a july evening. and hospital

I think that was just a suggestion, I did 6 poems, what an epic essay 5 or 6 pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I LOVE YOU GOD! That english paper was by far the easiest one ever seen.

Paper1: Did Text1 question A and text 2 question B, not too bad at all, and did a 4 page essay (slightly plagerised from good ole Night Watch by terry pratchett)

Paper2:The Kavanagh question and plath questions could NOT have been easier. All they were were "Do you like the porm, why?". C'mon, there is nothing hard about that. I get my easy nice and concise and refernced only 5 poems (i left 2 out on purpose). I went for Shancoduff (to show he loved the ares he grew up in), Christmas childhood (to show he loved his parents), Iniskeen road (to show it wasn't all fun and games in his childhood), Advent (to show his need to be rebord) and lastly Canal Bank Walk (to show how succesful his rebirth was).

The Comparitive question was virtually identical to the one i did for my mock, to be honest, there is not much variance they could have put in that question... so i did fairly well in that too.

The MacBeth question was truly orgasmic. It was so easy. All i did was spend 20 minutes planning the fooker, thinking of all the points where he showed signs of ruthlessness (got 7 points on that). Then all the areas where he showed ambition (got 4-5 points) then all the areas he showed regret/remorse (scraped together 3). And did a mix-n-match with those, and wrote a good essay.

In my opinion, i wrote the best english i ever did today, and i won't match it again. My usual standard in english is a mere 68%, so i expect a B2. Roll on maths paper 1! woo woo woo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Just for the record, back when I was in school one of my teachers told me that the papers are printed in Holland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

and a bit pages for the poetry on kavanagh as it only said to make refrence to one or two poems, i chose iniskeen road:a july evening. and hospital

You were f'in mad to only reference two. Unless you wrote a feckin deadly essay, you will be lucky to score above a C... Always reference as MUCH as you can, its the golden rule. Its done now, theres nothing you can change, good luck!

• Advertisement

there was a united roar of happiness as every1 in our centre read the literary genre, then when the poetry page was turned over the roar got louder, best paper ever.

four page literary genre, three page kavanagh, three page macbeth, and a two page mahon just in case.

Advertisement